Betfred Extend Their Commercial Partnership with Rugby League

53 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

It might be a good idea in theory, but it is illegal in France to use sponsorship to promote alcohol. Another sector is a possibility.

I know, but say if you have say 1664 beer sponsor the super league all the games that are televised in the UK into France will get free publicity.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Masked Poster said:

And they are fairly active in pushing RL as something they aren't embarrassed about, so it's not bad at all.

On that point...I got a message when I logged on to my BetFred account this morning talking about the new deal. Assuming all BetFred online customers got that same message (and seeing as I don't really bet on RL, there's no reason to think BetFred would have me in a customer segment of people with an interest in the game) then that's good PR going out to a lot of people.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Dr Tim Whatley said:

On that point...I got a message when I logged on to my BetFred account this morning talking about the new deal. Assuming all BetFred online customers got that same message (and seeing as I don't really bet on RL, there's no reason to think BetFred would have me in a customer segment of people with an interest in the game) then that's good PR going out to a lot of people.

That's exactly what we need and hasn't always been forthcoming from other sponsors. I remember Tetley's (who were from Leeds originally) seemed to be reluctant to advertise the RL stuff in their pubs and it was always the RU player (Wilkinson?) who I seemed to see in local pubs. 

6 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

That's exactly what we need and hasn't always been forthcoming from other sponsors. I remember Tetley's (who were from Leeds originally) seemed to be reluctant to advertise the RL stuff in their pubs and it was always the RU player (Wilkinson?) who I seemed to see in local pubs. 

I remember seeing a few billboards with Andy Farrell with a shaven/bold head. 

What became of Andy Farrell?

8 hours ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

I know, but say if you have say 1664 beer sponsor the super league all the games that are televised in the UK into France will get free publicity.

I don’t think they’d be able to show them in France with that sponsorship. 

We can only be pleased about a big sponsorship announcement if it's from a blue chip, carbon neutral, financially ethical company, with an equal split of all genders and races at board level, that pays more tax than it needs to and is owned by someone who absolutely hates the sport. Sorry.

• Haha 1

On 10/10/2023 at 21:05, Pigeon Lofter said:

If Fred pops his clogs, would the firm still support RL, or is it the passion of the one man? 

Wasn't he in the frame for buying Salford and the AJ Bell at one point or was that wishful thinking?

Very wishful thinking, albeit there is an apparent mystery donor to The Mighty Reds. Who knows? 

The Betfred Empire is not just the eponymous Fred but his equally loaded bro from fellow Ordsall (pronounced Odd sull) Peter. 

Edited by idrewthehaggis
  • Like 1

On 10/10/2023 at 17:08, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

"80 year old fan donates to the sport because RL Commercial can't do their job and sell multiple sponsorship properties to anyone else"

There, I've fixed the headline. I think it's great what Fred does for the game, and we should be grateful, but let's not pretend this isn't failure. 

You can't sell to those who aren't interested and clearly no one other than Betfred are interested.