Grand Final Entertainment

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

I'm not suggesting a direct correlation here, but if we look back over the last couple of decades, we have seen a real drop off in effort around events. Some of the fanzones that we had at Magic and other major events used to be excellent - often driven by having a wider range of partners. We did also have a decent number of bigger performers at games and things did feel a little fresher. It's a long time since I've been to a major RL event and been wowed outside of the actual rugby. Whether it was your thing or not, the mascot games was always a big feature of Magic weekend for example. 

It was never perfect, but it did always feel like there was some effort - we did also have the likes of Kaiser Chiefs when they were contemporary, we've had Madness, Girls Aloud, Scouting for Girls, Wombats, James etc before we have landed on the indie Grand Final vibe. We now don't bother at all for Cup finals and internationals. 

Didn’t you enjoy Alex Simmons’ DJ set at Wembley then? 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

I hope you’re joking 🙂

Nope, I know that a Nirvana is a place of peace and tranquillity, and I think but cannot be certain I have heard referance to a pop band in the past with that name, but as to what they are famous for I havn't got a clue.

Since the middle to late 70's apart from being in the office where radios were not allowed (my instruction, much to busy, and not very professional) other than that being on the road my entertainment was in the main either Radio 4, Radio 3 or when it came into being Classsical FM, Oh and the traffic news dependant on the area I was in.

Edited by Harry Stottle

51 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Nope, I know that a Nirvana is a place of peace and tranquillity, and I think but cannot be certain I have heard referance to a pop band in the past with that name, but as to what they are famous for I havn't got a clue.

Since the middle to late 70's apart from being in the office where radios were not allowed (my instruction, much to busy, and not very professional) other than that being on the road my entertainment was in the main either Radio 4, Radio 3 or when it came into being Classsical FM, Oh and the traffic news dependant on the area I was in.

Seriously Harry , I've seen your dress sense , ' grunge ' comes immediately to mind 😂 

I've enjoyed this thread, I've been to every GF and the entertainment doesn't make much difference to me as I'm usually a bit tipsy by the time they're on. Did set me off trying to remember previous acts from the last 25 years without looking in the old programs.. Lisa Scott-Lee, Samantha Mumba are about all I can remember! 

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Didn’t you enjoy Alex Simmons’ DJ set at Wembley then? 

If we could get a restraining order on he and "Wagga" being anywhere near a ground, that'd be nice. They haven't even got a terrible TV show no-one watched for "credibility" with those in charge to fall back on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Well you should have heard of the first Nirvana from the 60s then 😉

Bands like Nirvana (the 90s version) were more than bands that got played on the radio they were at the forefront of popular culture that transend music really im quite shocked that you don’t know who they are to be honest.

its like saying youve not heard of the Beatles or Michael Jackson or something like that IMO

27 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Bands like Nirvana (the 90s version) were more than bands that got played on the radio they were at the forefront of popular culture that transend music really im quite shocked that you don’t know who they are to be honest.

its like saying youve not heard of the Beatles or Michael Jackson or something like that IMO

Michael Jackson the former Wakefield Trinity forward?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

It ain't nothing like your last sentance, most of the population of the planet will have heard of the Beatles like Beethoven and to a lesser degree like  Jackson for Pavarotti but Nirvana sorry mate they may fall into your type of enclave but not mass popularity.

• Confused 1

To be fair, we often compare unfavourably with NRL, yet though their 2022 entertainment had half a dozen acts, I hadn't heard of a single one by name. This year, the stars of a Tina Turner musical - potentially really good or very underwhelming. You could cover a whole decade of finals just with solo artists that came from Neighbours...

25 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It ain't nothing like your last sentance, most of the population of the planet will have heard of the Beatles like Beethoven and to a lesser degree like  Jackson for Pavarotti but Nirvana sorry mate they may fall into your type of enclave but not mass popularity.

That's interesting. If you haven't heard of them, how do you know that they don't fall into the same category as the Beatles or Michael Jackson with world-wide notoriety. One person, yourself, apparently not knowing an act doesn't mean the rest of the world hasn't.

The lead singer Kurt Cobain transcended music and he was, and even in death still is, a cultural icon.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Harry its not my enclave as  you put it, I’m astounded that you’re not that culturally aware. How old were you in the 90s?

Edited by Chrispmartha

9 hours ago, JDM said:

That's interesting. If you haven't heard of them, how do you know that they don't fall into the same category as the Beatles or Michael Jackson with world-wide notoriety. One person, yourself, apparently not knowing an act doesn't mean the rest of the world hasn't.

The lead singer Kurt Cobain transcended music and he was, and even in death still is, a cultural icon.

Just to stick my oar in……

Nirvana were a very popular rock band that’s for sure but there’s no way they fall into the category of the former. Many older people will be unaware of them, not me I must say but it’s not like they had number 1 after number 1 and were forced into people’s consciousness.
Kurt Cobain was iconic I’d agree but not quite in the same league as Hendrix or Jim Morrison. Not a slight on him or the band, they were pretty good but not quite up there. 

2 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

Just to stick my oar in……

Nirvana were a very popular rock band that’s for sure but there’s no way they fall into the category of the former. Many older people will be unaware of them, not me I must say but it’s not like they had number 1 after number 1 and were forced into people’s consciousness.
Kurt Cobain was iconic I’d agree but not quite in the same league as Hendrix or Jim Morrison. Not a slight on him or the band, they were pretty good but not quite up there. 

What are you classing as old though? If you’re 65 you would have been early 30s when Nirvana released Nevermind, it’s not as if they are a modern band and they are one of the biggest selling bands of all time.

I’m not having a go at Harry, I’m genuinely surprised he’s never heard of them or Kurt Cobain.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

What are you classing as old though? If you’re 65 you would have been early 30s when Nirvana released Nevermind, it’s not as if they are a modern band and they are one of the biggest selling bands of all time.

I’m not having a go at Harry, I’m genuinely surprised he’s never heard of them or Kurt Cobain.

I’m surprised he hasn’t even heard of them too, I thought most people would at least be familiar with the name. A bit like in 1977 pensioners will have heard about the Sex Pistols without actually knowing anything about them. But they definitely weren’t in the Beatles league, but then, nor is anybody else. 

4 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

I’m surprised he hasn’t even heard of them too, I thought most people would at least be familiar with the name. A bit like in 1977 pensioners will have heard about the Sex Pistols without actually knowing anything about them. But they definitely weren’t in the Beatles league, but then, nor is anybody else. 

I think my point is Harry wasn’t a pensioner when they were big and when Kurt Cobain died, its 30 years ago.

11 hours ago, JDM said:

I asked the missus, she doesn't know them either and SHE KNOWS EVERYTHING just ask her!

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

Clearly she doesn’t, were you both in a bubble in the 90s? 😉 

Long before that Chris, getting ready to go out after the Aus game, I am wearing bell bottoms, tank top and platform shoes and she has got on her shiney purple shell track suit, and very smart we are too.