Grand Final Entertainment

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Who would you have got to do it? 

The issue is the system rather than the name, isn't it really?

It all feels put together in the most perfunctory way possible. The whole event aspect needs looking at and addressing.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Indeed. I like RatM so it wasn't a criticism of them. 

It still surprises me that we had Blossoms just a few years back, an excellent band. I was very excited to see them that night. But I couldn't hear them, despite being in that end. 

They were the wrong choice, just not a big stage band, totally unsuitable to an open air arena. I think RatM will go down very well, they have a big sound and recongisable songs.

Just now, Damien said:

I am not what the target audience should be. I think few on here would be.

That is up to the RFL to actually go out, do research (or employ someone to do it) and actually look to engage with those under 25.

Look at who The Hundred have for their acts. They have actively targeted a younger cooler crowd. 

They have BBC Introducing providing the music for all 34 events. 

For the final they had Rudimental. Last years final saw Bastille and previously Jax Jones. 

I'm an Indie Fan, but I'm a 45 year old white man. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

The one they had at Wire first game this season was good (I was there and they did well)

That`s a stadium that`s about 1/5 of the size of Old Trafford. I quite like the band, its decent stuff but I just dont see them as a "Stadium Band" at all. 

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Look at who The Hundred have for their acts. They have actively targeted a younger cooler crowd. 

They have BBC Introducing providing the music for all 34 events. 

For the final they had Rudimental. Last years final saw Bastille and previously Jax Jones. 

Absolutely, I couldn't agree more and I know we've been very much in agreement on this the last couple of years.

I'm an Indie fan too but know its the wrong choice. And cheap. And as @gingerjon said perfunctory which is a word that sums it up perfectly. Sure do some throwback entertainment every 5 years if you must but instead its just the norm every year.

I also know my kids haven't got a clue who any of these Grand Final acts or songs are though and think it's lame. They are the next set of fans who should be entertained.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It's interesting that we constantly hear talk about needing more youth, and then select bands for our biggest event that completely caters for 40 and 50 year old blokes. 

Who, to be fair, are most of the audience. Is anyone really going to go to the GF who otherwise wouldn’t, because a band that they like are quietly playing in the corner during half time? 

12 minutes ago, dkw said:

They were the wrong choice, just not a big stage band, totally unsuitable to an open air arena. I think RatM will go down very well, they have a big sound and recongisable songs.

Rage Against the Machine? Now you're talking. 

9 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Who, to be fair, are most of the audience. Is anyone really going to go to the GF who otherwise wouldn’t, because a band that they like are quietly playing in the corner during half time? 

Some undoubtedly would and for others it is all part of the experience and being entertained. Also maybe a band playing in the corner for 10 mins is part of the issue too and it should be a little more than that.

I get that some RL fans aren't interested. However others are and whether people agree or not the sport is in the entertainment business against competitors who are doing this stuff way better.

16 minutes ago, Damien said:

Absolutely, I couldn't agree more and I know we've been very much in agreement on this the last couple of years.

I'm an Indie fan too but know its the wrong choice. And cheap. And as @gingerjon said perfunctory which is a word that sums it up perfectly. Sure do some throwback entertainment every 5 years if you must but instead its just the norm every year.

I also know my kids haven't got a clue who any of these Grand Final acts or songs are though and think it's lame. They are the next set of fans who should be entertained.

Maybe some dad techno like Alex Simmons? 

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

The one they had at Wire first game this season was good (I was there and they did well)

That was The Lathums. I thought they did a good job.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

29 minutes ago, Dave T said:

As are most of us on here 

Not sure whether it's better to play to it or play to the younger crowd 

Personally if they had a hip hop artist I would really switch off and get bored but maybe younger fans would be more likely to be attracted 

40 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Indeed. I like RatM so it wasn't a criticism of them. 

It still surprises me that we had Blossoms just a few years back, an excellent band. I was very excited to see them that night. But I couldn't hear them, despite being in that end. 

Probably ear wax Dave.

2 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

As are most of us on here 

Not sure whether it's better to play to it or play to the younger crowd 

Personally if they had a hip hop artist I would really switch off and get bored but maybe younger fans would be more likely to be attracted 

What I’ve noticed is if you get a top relevant artist that’s big at this moment in time, (not a fan of today’s music either) but grandkids etc would go watch them in a field won’t matter  where it is. They would sell out. 

• Like 1

Just now, Rovers13 said:

What I’ve noticed is if you get a top relevant artist that’s big at this moment in time, (not a fan of today’s music either) but grandkids etc would go watch them in a field won’t matter  where it is. They would sell out. 

Like who? 

4 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

Well yeah lol but you would attract fans of the artist, which could attract new fans to our sport. 

You wouldn’t. I wouldn’t go to the netball final and get into netball because The Charlatans were playing at half time. 

• Haha 1