Expansion

3 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

I don't necessarily agree with @Tommygilf's suggestion (although he has made me think when suggesting it before), but why do you think it would be hard to enforce?

Surely it would be similar to how we currently have separate competitions for amateur clubs? The existing pro/semi-pro clubs would decide which category they were going to be and we would just have two separate competitions.

Define full time and part time.

Is a part time player full time because he also has a schools coach job at the club?  What if he has a schools coach job with the Development Trust?

How many hours are part time players allowed to train before they become full time?

Must part time players have another job?  Does a billiard marker count as another job?

Who's going to police it?  Will the RFL check on players to see that they're not training?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

28 minutes ago, paul hicks said:

easy enough to sign players two years in advance and loan them out to keep them playing .

These are players with no agent, I take it.

17 minutes ago, Griff said:

Define full time and part time.

Is a part time player full time because he also has a schools coach job at the club?  What if he has a schools coach job with the Development Trust?

How many hours are part time players allowed to train before they become full time?

Must part time players have another job?  Does a billiard marker count as another job?

Who's going to police it?  Will the RFL check on players to see that they're not training?

I understand your point now.

I don't think it would need to be an issue - as long as a definition was agreed upon in advance any of the things you list could be included or not.

I would envisage it being regulated by the RFL in a similar manner to the salary cap.

40 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

And rightly so, I had a direct contact with the game and found it galling, it was a double stab in the back for owners, share holders, coaches, players and fans of ambitious clubs, not only being parachuted but except from relegation also, what were you doing at the time Tommy?

Did you find it annoying when Toronto walked the league too Harry?

Tbf, you weren't who I had in mind as you've been pretty consistent on this issue. Some other fans were not so consistent and engaged in some serious mental gymnastics.

14 minutes ago, Griff said:

These are players with no agent, I take it.

agents often sort out contracts for a few years so a 5-year contract with the 2 years of it in advance at another club would be easy enough to do. 

think 2 years at say Catalan with a clause that he would move to the new club after that on terms already agreed would not be difficult to sort out if the money is right.

it's not the first time that players have agreed a deal for a club 2 years in advance although it's not announced at the time is it.

1 minute ago, paul hicks said:

agents often sort out contracts for a few years so a 5-year contract with the 2 years of it in advance at another club would be easy enough to do. 

think 2 years at say Catalan with a clause that he would move to the new club after that on terms already agreed would not be difficult to sort out if the money is right.

it's not the first time that players have agreed a deal for a club 2 years in advance although it's not announced at the time is it.

OK - but we disagree.

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Its not, either you state you are full time or you aren't. The RFL already monitor Salary caps.

OK - but we disagree.

All you need to do to get promotion is declare yourselves ful time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

I understand your point now.

I don't think it would need to be an issue - as long as a definition was agreed upon in advance any of the things you list could be included or not.

I would envisage it being regulated by the RFL in a similar manner to the salary cap.

The problem is agreeing the definition.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

And rightly so, I had a direct contact with the game and found it galling, it was a double stab in the back for owners, share holders, coaches, players and fans of ambitious clubs, not only being parachuted but except from relegation also, what were you doing at the time Tommy?

And yet, to date it is the best, most progressive thing that Super League has ever achieved.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Griff said:

OK - but we disagree.

All you need to do to get promotion is declare yourselves ful time.

Well no, Super League/RFL can and do routinely monitor the spending of clubs.

If players and coach's full time roles aren't as rugby league players/coaches then they aren't a full time club. It's really not that difficult.

The only one's who would argue would be the clubs that most definitely aren't full time. Everyone else would just be full time because its self evidently better for the top flight.

13 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

If players and coach's full time roles aren't as rugby league players/coaches then they aren't a full time club. It's really not that difficult.

The only one's who would argue would be the clubs that most definitely aren't full time. Everyone else would just be full time because its self evidently better for the top flight.

It's pretty easy to enforce a minimum spend on players to achieve this without having to split hairs over individual player edge cases. This needn't be any extra work over the current salary cap compliance process. If a club meets that minimum spend then they are classed as a full time club

Edited by Damien
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Harder than you think, Tommy.

Especially in the part time department.  

52 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

And yet, to date it is the best, most progressive thing that Super League has ever achieved.

To be fair gav if you parachuted any team in and made them exempt from relegation they should be a success 

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

4 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

Well quite. Its ridiculous how it hasn't ben replicated!

Not sport for me mate. I can think of 3 other teams that were parachuted into sl admittedly they weren’t ring fenced but all went up at the expense of other deserving clubs   Two of them only lasted a year or two making rl a laughing stock

25 minutes ago, DEANO said:

Not sport for me mate. I can think of 3 other teams that were parachuted into sl admittedly they weren’t ring fenced but all went up at the expense of other deserving clubs   Two of them only lasted a year or two making rl a laughing stock

Are you saying that the franchised NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, MLS, NRL and AFL where when new franchises are admitted it's based on a business case are not sport then?  If they're not sport, just how are they attracting millions of sports fans??

Edited by Big Picture
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Are you saying that the franchised NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, MLS, NRL and AFL where when new franchises are admitted it's based on a business case are not sport then?  If they're not sport, just how are they attracting millions of sports fans??

If your saying we should uproot Wigan and put them in Dublin and saints in Barcelona  etc then I’d agree with you

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

Are you saying their sports seriously? Next you will be telling me darts is a sport 🤣🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

And on a serious note maybe it’s because it’s a far bigger market than our biggest market london, and Americans would watch 2 pigeons fighting for a day out lol. 

2 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

And on a serious note maybe it’s because it’s a far bigger market than our biggest market london, and Americans would watch 2 pigeons fighting for a day out lol. 

As long as there was lots of ad breaks

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, DEANO said:

If your saying we should uproot Wigan and put them in Dublin and saints in Barcelona  etc then I’d agree with you

No I'm certainly not saying that.  Those small clubs would never have the financial means to fund the promotional push needed or attract marketable players to aid that effort and help sell tickets.  And the financially strapped little regional league they play in completely lacks the means needed to support such promotion too.

Any such venture could only be undertaken by a whole new built-for-purpose organization free of the limitations which hold the sport back now.

Edited by Big Picture