NRL Imports 2024

9 minutes ago, AB90 said:

Yes, Lachie Miller wouldn’t start for most teams. I’ll put it to you, do you think if he played for the same team as the below full backs he would be starting over any of them (that’s 9 out of 17 starting full backs which equals ‘most’):

James Tedesco, Kalyn Ponga, Reece Walsh, Dylan Edwards, Latrell Mitchell, Tom Trbojevic, The Hammer, Ryan Papenhauzen, Charnz Nicoll-Klokstad

We can keep going further down the pecking order if you like:

Scott Drinkerwater, Clint Gutherson, William Kennedy, Jehreame Bula, AJ Brimson, Stephen Crichton 

Thats 15 out of the 17 likely starting full backs in 2024. Unless you can confidently say that Lachie Miller would be 100% starting over 7 of the above mentioned players then even you don’t believe he would be the starting full back for ‘most’ nrl teams.

Whilst he is a great runner of the ball he has absolutely no passing game which will always stagnate a teams attacking play however he may be able to get away with that in SL.

And do I think you can contend or win SL Man Of Steel without being a top NRL player - yes, see Jackson Hastings, Brodie Croft, Lachlan Lam, Jai Field, Bevan French etc

For the record, i like yourself love SL!

I doubt any import from the NRL are first choice starters in the NRL, otherwise they would not be coming over.

That's doesn't mean they won't be great in SL, its a totally different competition.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I doubt any import from the NRL are first choice starters in the NRL, otherwise they would not be coming over.

That's doesn't mean they won't be great in SL, its a totally different competition.

Fitzgibbon was a first choice starter when fit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coco said:

I do agree that the Super League is a massive step down from the NRL. But the NRL do provide good quality of players to this competition.  

I just question do they provide too many players?  Each club I believe, are allowed 7 quota spots.  That's 84 Players that are not home grown in our competition.  I do feel we lose too many youngsters because of this.  

But hey what do I know?  

No it isn’t so the only person you’re agreeing with is yourself. Writing something 1000 times yourself doesn’t make it true. 

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I think this is fair.

Miller has some real strengths to his game, he is a very good runner of the ball and, as has been mentioned, a prolific tackle buster.

But he is not the type of full back in fashion in the NRL with the full back a key ball handling attacking threat in the line.

I would rate Miller as good as some NRL starters in 2024 but not ahead of most as it is the real position of strength in the NRL.

If Leeds can develop a style that suits Miller's game he could have a very good year.  My main worry is that both Miller and Brodie Croft's main strengths are running and if 2 of the spine positions are more running threats it puts a lot of responsibility on the creativity in the other positions.

That’s a fair comment, he isn’t as complete a fullback as some more established first graders. Obviously this is all linked to his background in 7s rugby. Hopefully next year he grows his game, if he can get the rest of his game anywhere near the level his running game he could become a serious threat.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NRLandSL said:

Also worth mentioning Luke Thompson. Struggled a bit with injury and home sicknesses this last year or two but was undoubtedly one of the best front rowers over here in Australia and in the world on his day. 

I can't entirely agree with that. Even putting to one side his lengthy bans and injuries, he was dropped a few times because he just couldn't get to grips with his defensive responsibilities in the NRL. He'd been used to playing in a great Saints team surrounded by tackling machines like Roby and Knowles - to go into the Dogs team who have been pretty terrible the past 4 years, he just couldn't make the impact deserving of his salary. He'll go well at Wigan for the same reasons he did at Saints.  

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, AB90 said:

Yes, Lachie Miller wouldn’t start for most teams. I’ll put it to you, do you think if he played for the same team as the below full backs he would be starting over any of them (that’s 9 out of 17 starting full backs which equals ‘most’):

James Tedesco, Kalyn Ponga, Reece Walsh, Dylan Edwards, Latrell Mitchell, Tom Trbojevic, The Hammer, Ryan Papenhauzen, Charnz Nicoll-Klokstad

We can keep going further down the pecking order if you like:

Scott Drinkerwater, Clint Gutherson, William Kennedy, Jehreame Bula, AJ Brimson, Stephen Crichton 

Thats 15 out of the 17 likely starting full backs in 2024. Unless you can confidently say that Lachie Miller would be 100% starting over 7 of the above mentioned players then even you don’t believe he would be the starting full back for ‘most’ nrl teams.

Whilst he is a great runner of the ball he has absolutely no passing game which will always stagnate a teams attacking play however he may be able to get away with that in SL.

And do I think you can contend or win SL Man Of Steel without being a top NRL player - yes, see Jackson Hastings, Brodie Croft, Lachlan Lam, Jai Field, Bevan French etc

For the record, i like yourself love SL!

I was more pointing the fact he was good enough to start and be a top player for most NRL sides, rather than if he would start for each individual team. Of course the Fullback position in the NRL is completely stacked with all the best players in the world which pushes Lachie Miller down the order but there is no denying his brilliance. 

And I do agree with you that Lachie Miller could become one of the players in SL if he has a good year, because he is very talented player. 

As for SL-NRL the main difference I see between the Leagues is that the NRL has much more depth. In the NRL the worst teams in the competition still have world class players, this is of course because there is no threat of relegation but also because there is a lot more talent floating around in the NRL. Though the SL still has some of the best teams and players in the world, just in not as much quantity as the NRL. Players like Jack Welsby and George Williams are up with the best players in the World (Especially Welsby I’d put him top 5 personally), and of course St Helens are the current world champions and Wigan look a quality side. But if Wakefield or Castleford were to play The wests tigers I think the Tigers (NRL) would win very comfortably.

37 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

That’s not always the case we’ve seen a few players Overlook NRL contracts for SL this year alone. Tariq Sims, Peta Hiku, Fitzgibbon, Thompson, Leeming, etc. A lot of players come over for more opportunity, definitely not a last resort as your making it out to be. Not to mention the Current MOS, Bevan French was a top fullback in the NRL when he came over.

22 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I can't entirely agree with that. Even putting to one side his lengthy bans and injuries, he was dropped a few times because he just couldn't get to grips with his defensive responsibilities in the NRL. He'd been used to playing in a great Saints team surrounded by tackling machines like Roby and Knowles - to go into the Dogs team who have been pretty terrible the past 4 years, he just couldn't make the impact deserving of his salary. He'll go well at Wigan for the same reasons he did at Saints.  

Yeah he had his struggles, no doubt. He only played 4 games this year. But there is no denying he brilliance, I wonder if we had seen him at a top team like Penrith, Chookies, Storm, or Brisbane he could’ve had a better or more consistent few years. Though his 2021 season was very superb, 3 Tries, 36 Tackle Breaks, and 142 Metres a game, he was one of the best that year.

As a roosters fan I was very excited when he was linked with us, still very bummed out he went to Wigan.

Edited by NRLandSL

8 minutes ago, NRLandSL said:

That’s not always the case we’ve seen a few players Overlook NRL contracts for SL this year alone. Tariq Sims, Peta Hiku, Fitzgibbon, Thompson, Leeming, etc. A lot of players come over for more opportunity, definitely not a last resort as your making it out to be. Not to mention the Current MOS, Bevan French was a top fullback in the NRL when he came over.

I didn't say it was a last resort, just that it gives them more of a guarantee of being first choice in SL. Bevan French was also left out of the squad in 2019 and spent it in the NSW cup which is why he came over to SL, kind of proves my point.

I am not bagging the NRL imports, but it's just a different landscape over here than the NRL and talented players like Miller et al will get more of a chance over here than in the NRL.

24 minutes ago, NRLandSL said:

I was more pointing the fact he was good enough to start and be a top player for most NRL sides, rather than if he would start for each individual team. Of course the Fullback position in the NRL is completely stacked with all the best players in the world which pushes Lachie Miller down the order but there is no denying his brilliance. 

And I do agree with you that Lachie Miller could become one of the players in SL if he has a good year, because he is very talented player. 

As for SL-NRL the main difference I see between the Leagues is that the NRL has much more depth. In the NRL the worst teams in the competition still have world class players, this is of course because there is no threat of relegation but also because there is a lot more talent floating around in the NRL. Though the SL still has some of the best teams and players in the world, just in not as much quantity as the NRL. Players like Jack Welsby and George Williams are up with the best players in the World (Especially Welsby I’d put him top 5 personally), and of course St Helens are the current world champions and Wigan look a quality side. But if Wakefield or Castleford were to play The wests tigers I think the Tigers (NRL) would win very comfortably.

So the quote further up the thread of ‘I reckon he would be starting at FB for most NRL sides but he had KP to contend with’ was a bit of a typo. Fair enough then.

I feel your using the term ‘Top NRL Player’ way, way to loosely to describe some players. As you didn’t mention any of those 15 NRL FB’s you think Miller is better than, for argument sake let’s say you believe he’s the 16th best FB in the NRL. Now would you refer or describe the 11th best SL FB as a ‘Top SL Player’?? I and assume most posters here wouldn’t.

I actually agree with your assessment between the two leagues as in my opinion the lower you go down the table the wider the gap becomes (I.e West Tigers vs Wakefield & Castleford would be a complete mismatch based off pure talent levels).

I also agree with you that the main difference between SL-NRL is ‘depth’, but that depth is the main bulk of the league and carry’s the level of play. In any given year there will be about 350 to 400 players that play in SL. Yes, Jack Welsby, George Williams & the other top 30 SL players are all fantastic players however that only makes up circa 9% of the SL playing talent. 

What’s the standard of 50th to 250th ranked band of players that would all play week in week out rugby in SL in comparison to the NRL (I would say the difference is huge in this band of players). ‘Depth’ is the main driver of the overall leagues playing standard as it accounts for the vast majority of players in each league.

• Like 2

It's great having different views I am also a fan of Super League. But I don't believe any of our sides can go and play in the NRL week in and week out and do well.  The NRL is such an intense competition, and each team has a number of stars.  

I also feel, that the players that do arrive from the NRL are players that could not meet the demands of the competition.  But I do believe that we sign too many, and that stops our youngsters from playing.  We need to drop the quota number of players for  each side in Super League have to 4.

48 minutes ago, Midlands hobo said:

Really? A top fullback? Seriously. He was a cover FB at best, prone to injury and very inconsistent. 

Was Parramatta's main full-back for 1 or 2 seasons, chopped and changed a bit with clint Gutherson, but he was still defenitly a top fullback. Not sure when being prone to injury made you a bad player either.

Edited by NRLandSL

Good to see more PNG players going over. I’ve always thought Nixon Putt could do well in the NRL, surprised nobody gave him a shot. Namo and Tai have looked good from what I’ve seen of them.

PNG are building some decent depth these days, I wouldn’t be surprised if they overtook Tonga, Samoa and Fiji in the next 10 years as the 4th best nation even without an NRL side.

NRL - Johnston, Z Laybutt, Derby, Allick, Coates, Olam, Russell, DeBelin. Mam & Biondi-Odo both eligible, probably more.

SL - Martin, MacDonald, Tai, Horne, Putt, Namo, Lam, Ipape, Albert.

Plus all the lower grade / juniors / fringe players at the Hunters and spread throughout QLD Cup, NSW Cup and the Championship.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coco said:

I also feel, that the players that do arrive from the NRL are players that could not meet the demands of the competition. 

I still can't at all agree with this statement, it is a complete generalization and just not at all true.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

Good to see more PNG players going over. I’ve always thought Nixon Putt could do well in the NRL, surprised nobody gave him a shot. Namo and Tai have looked good from what I’ve seen of them.

PNG are building some decent depth these days, I wouldn’t be surprised if they overtook Tonga, Samoa and Fiji in the next 10 years as the 4th best nation even without an NRL side.

NRL - Johnston, Z Laybutt, Derby, Allick, Coates, Olam, Russell, DeBelin. Mam & Biondi-Odo both eligible, probably more.

SL - Martin, MacDonald, Tai, Horne, Putt, Namo, Lam, Ipape, Albert.

Plus all the lower grade / juniors / fringe players at the Hunters and spread throughout QLD Cup, NSW Cup and the Championship.

I’ve got a list of all the PNG players playing Pro/semi pro rugby league so I’ll post it. (Unfortunately Mam is not eligible, he is Torres Strait islander from far North Queensland)

NRL-

Jeremiah Simbiken SR

Justin Olam CE

Xavier Coates WG

Zac Laybutt CE

Alex Johnston WG

Dan Russell SR

Treigh Stewart FB

Robert Derby WG

Jacob Alick SR

Ragarive Wavik FB

SL-

Nixon Putt SR

Rodrick Tai CE

Slyvester Namo PR

Liam Horne HK

Edwin Ipape HK

Lachlan Lam HB

Nene MacDonald CE/WG

Rhyse Martin SR

Emmanuel Waine SR

Wellington Albert PR

QLD CUP-

Zev John PR

Valentine Richard PR

Bob Tenza WG

Samuel Yegip PR

Kyle Laybutt HB

Cruise Ten LK

Bernard Lewis CE

Dilbert Isaac PR

Kingstimer Paraia HK

Kitron Laka SR

Epel Kalinias PR

Morea Morea FB

Solo Wane WG

Brandon Nima CE

Ila Alu LK

Jamie Mavoko HB

Judah Rimbu FB/5/8/HK

Junior Rop PR

Tom Moide PR

Benji Kot CE/SR

Sakias Komati 5/8

Henry Noki PR

Wesser Tenza HK

Julius Yakopa SR

Seal Kalo PR

Trevor Solu HK

Sanny Wabo FB

Koso Badi PR

Junior Igila CE

Joshua Mire 5/8/LK

Sherwin Tanabi SR

Siki Konden WG

Joshua Lau CE/5/8

Whallan Tau-Loi SR

Warren Glare HK/LK

Matthew Jesse WG

Philimon Kimisive WG

NSW CUP-

Jimmy Ngutlik WG

Steven Numambo WG

CHAMPIONSHIP-

James Segeyaro HK/Free Agent?

McKenzie Yei PR

Keven Appo SR

Dion Aiye LK

Watson Boas HB

LEAGUE 1-

Jason Tali CE

Elite 1-

Casey Dickson PR

Kuni Minga CE

Others (Domestic Players)-

Stanton Albert PR

Edene Gebbie WG

Ase Boas HB

Wartovo Puara HK

Mark Tony 5/8/HB

Gilimo Paul CE

Anthony Worot PR

Liam Joseph WG

Francis Kembis PR

Terry Wapi FB/WR

Tyler Han FB

Jordan Pat PR

Gary James 5/8

Joseph Mocke CE/WG

Nathan Tente HK

Edited by NRLandSL
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Coco said:

It's great having different views I am also a fan of Super League. But I don't believe any of our sides can go and play in the NRL week in and week out and do well.  The NRL is such an intense competition, and each team has a number of stars.  

I also feel, that the players that do arrive from the NRL are players that could not meet the demands of the competition.  But I do believe that we sign too many, and that stops our youngsters from playing.  We need to drop the quota number of players for  each side in Super League have to 4.

Also, you don’t believe any Super league sides would do well in the NRL. Honestly mate that’s got to be for a laugh, I’m not even going to disagree with you because of how outrageous and untrue that claim is.

Also by your logic Peta Hiku could not meet the Demands of the NRL, which is totally bonkers considering he is one of the best centres in the comp.

Edited by NRLandSL

14 minutes ago, NRLandSL said:

I’ve got a list of all the PNG players playing Pro/semi pro rugby league so I’ll post it. (Unfortunately Mam is not eligible, he is Torres Strait islander from far North Queensland)

NRL-

Jeremiah Simbiken SR

Justin Olam CE

Xavier Coates WG

Zac Laybutt CE

Alex Johnston WG

Dan Russell SR

Treigh Stewart FB

Robert Derby WG

Jacob Alick SR

Ragarive Wavik FB

SL-

Nixon Putt SR

Rodrick Tai CE

Slyvester Namo PR

Liam Horne HK

Edwin Ipape HK

Lachlan Lam HB

Nene MacDonald CE/WG

Rhyse Martin SR

Emmanuel Waine SR

Wellington Albert PR

QLD CUP-

Zev John PR

Valentine Richard PR

Bob Tenza WG

Samuel Yegip PR

Kyle Laybutt HB

Cruise Ten LK

Bernard Lewis CE

Dilbert Isaac PR

Kingstimer Paraia HK

Kitron Laka SR

Epel Kalinias PR

Morea Morea FB

Solo Wane WG

Brandon Nima CE

Ila Alu LK

Jamie Mavoko HB

Judah Rimbu FB/5/8/HK

Junior Rop PR

Tom Moide PR

Benji Kot CE/SR

Sakias Komati 5/8

Henry Noki PR

Wesser Tenza HK

Julius Yakopa SR

Seal Kalo PR

Trevor Solu HK

Sanny Wabo FB

Koso Badi PR

Junior Igila CE

Joshua Mire 5/8/LK

Sherwin Tanabi SR

Siki Konden WG

Joshua Lau CE/5/8

Whallan Tau-Loi SR

Warren Glare HK/LK

Matthew Jesse WG

Philimon Kimisive WG

NSW CUP-

Jimmy Ngutlik WG

Steven Numambo WG

CHAMPIONSHIP-

McKenzie Yei PR

Keven Appo SR

Dion Aiye LK

Watson Boas HB

LEAGUE 1-

Jason Tali CE

Elite 1-

Casey Dickson PR

Kuni Minga CE

Stanton Albert PR

Edene Gebbie WG

Ase Boas HB

Wartovo Puara HK

Mark Tony 5/8/HB

Gilimo Paul CE

Anthony Worot PR

Liam Joseph WG

Francis Kembis PR

Terry Wapi FB/WR

Tyler Han FB

Jordan Pat PR

Gary James 5/8

Joseph Mocke CE/WG

Nathan Tente HK

Interesting that NRL are mostly backs and SL mainly forwards.

5 minutes ago, Midlands hobo said:

Interesting that NRL are mostly backs and SL mainly forwards.

Martin was the only foward (beside hookers) playing this in SL this year. But good to see Putt and Namo get well deserved Contracts also Waine and Albert getting promoted and Russell and Alick breaking into their squads first teams, good year for the Kumuls foward pack.

Edited by NRLandSL
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NRLandSL said:

NRL-

Jeremiah Simbiken SR

Justin Olam CE

Xavier Coates WG

Zac Laybutt CE

Alex Johnston WG

Dan Russell SR

Treigh Stewart FB

Robert Derby WG

Jacob Alick SR

Ragarive Wavik FB

SL-

Nixon Putt SR

Rodrick Tai CE

Slyvester Namo PR

Liam Horne HK

Edwin Ipape HK

Lachlan Lam HB

Nene MacDonald CE/WG

Rhyse Martin SR

Emmanuel Waine SR

Wellington Albert PR

QLD CUP-

Zev John PR

Valentine Richard PR

Bob Tenza WG

Samuel Yegip PR

Kyle Laybutt HB

Cruise Ten LK

Bernard Lewis CE

Dilbert Isaac PR

Kingstimer Paraia HK

Kitron Laka SR

Epel Kalinias PR

Morea Morea FB

Solo Wane WG

Brandon Nima CE

Ila Alu LK

Jamie Mavoko HB

Judah Rimbu FB/5/8/HK

Junior Rop PR

Tom Moide PR

Benji Kot CE/SR

Sakias Komati 5/8

Henry Noki PR

Wesser Tenza HK

Julius Yakopa SR

Seal Kalo PR

Trevor Solu HK

Sanny Wabo FB

Koso Badi PR

Junior Igila CE

Joshua Mire 5/8/LK

Sherwin Tanabi SR

Siki Konden WG

Joshua Lau CE/5/8

Whallan Tau-Loi SR

Warren Glare HK/LK

Matthew Jesse WG

Philimon Kimisive WG

NSW CUP-

Jimmy Ngutlik WG

Steven Numambo WG

CHAMPIONSHIP-

McKenzie Yei PR

Keven Appo SR

Dion Aiye LK

Watson Boas HB

LEAGUE 1-

Jason Tali CE

Elite 1-

Casey Dickson PR

Kuni Minga CE

Stanton Albert PR

Edene Gebbie WG

Ase Boas HB

Wartovo Puara HK

Mark Tony 5/8/HB

Gilimo Paul CE

Anthony Worot PR

Liam Joseph WG

Francis Kembis PR

Terry Wapi FB/WR

Tyler Han FB

Jordan Pat PR

Gary James 5/8

Joseph Mocke CE/WG

Nathan Tente HK

James Segeyaro signed for Wests Devils in Wollongong yesterday.

• Like 1

It's just my personal opinion. I believe that standard of Super League is like there Reserve grade competition they have like the Queensland Cup competition.  Our clubs here would do well in that competition.  

But back to the NRL imports thread.  Bevan French was not meeting the standards of the NRL, so he arrived here.  The same with Hiku, Miller and everyone else.  This is the standard of our competition here.  We take the ones that don't meet the standards of the NRL. HAS ANYONE HEARD OF rumours of LATERAL MITCHELL arriving on these shores? In his prime? 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Coco said:

It's just my personal opinion. I believe that standard of Super League is like there Reserve grade competition they have like the Queensland Cup competition.  Our clubs here would do well in that competition.  

But back to the NRL imports thread.  Bevan French was not meeting the standards of the NRL, so he arrived here.  The same with Hiku, Miller and everyone else.  This is the standard of our competition here.  We take the ones that don't meet the standards of the NRL. HAS ANYONE HEARD OF rumours of LATERAL MITCHELL arriving on these shores? In his prime? 

Plenty of players come over and go back with decent contracts in the Nrl, was Jamie Lyon a spent force, Jackson Hastings hasn't been Short of contract offers. Also some big names have arrived and been absolutely disappointing. The statement that SL is equivalent of those comps you quoted are ridiculous.

We know the Nrl is a higher standard with more depth of talent but a squad made up of regular Nrl players was beaten 3 nil by a squad with 3 Nrl players.

• Like 1