Top 5 Books Of All Time

1. Catch-22

2. Birdsong

3. His Dark Materials trilogy *

4. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

5. Nineteen Eighty-Four

* I am not really the target demographic for these books and I wasn't when I first read them but they are very good and very influential.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

A Prayer for Owen Meany (John Irving)

The Harry Bosch Series (Michael Connolly)

The Road (Cormac McCarthy)

11/22/63 (Stephen King)

Helter Skelter (Curt Gentry & Vincent Bugliosi) - Probably the best true crime book ever written. VB was the prosecutor in the Charles Manson trial

Edited by EagleEyePie
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

A Prayer for Owen Meany (John Irving)

The Harry Bosch Series (Michael Connolly)

The Road (Cormac McCarthy)

11/22/63 (Stephen King)

Helter Skelter (Curt Gentry & Vincent Bugliosi) - Probably the best true crime book ever written. VB was the prosecutor in the Charles Manson trial

11/22/63 great book

It’s impossible to choose a top five.

To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee

Underground Railroad - Colson Whitehead

Feast Day Of Fools - James Lee Burke

The Aubrey And Maturin series - Patrick O’Brien

The Laidlaw Trilogy - William Mcilvanney 

On another day I could just as easily pick any of Ian Rankin, Michael Robotham, John Grisham, Elmore Leonard, R J Ellory or Jim Thompson books.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Moose said:

It’s impossible to choose a top five.

To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee

Underground Railroad - Colson Whitehead

Feast Day Of Fools - James Lee Burke

The Aubrey And Maturin series - Patrick O’Brien

The Laidlaw Trilogy - William Mcilvanney 

On another day I could just as easily pick any of Ian Rankin, Michael Robotham, John Grisham, Elmore Leonard, R J Ellory or Jim Thompson books.

I have so much to owe to the Aubrey and Maturin series for rescuing me from a massive slump I'd fallen into a few years ago. 

I used to read so much when I was a teenager and then throughout my 20s I completely fell out of love with it. When I was made redundant from a long time job at the end of 2019 and the pandemic hit, I saw it as an opportunity to reinvent myself and achieve some of the things I always dreamed of doing. One of these things was getting back my obsession with reading but I didn't really know where to begin with this. 

Well after the first lockdown was lifted and charity shops were inundated with dvds, I bought masses of them and one I got was Master and Commander. I'd never seen it before and I am a massive history fan so thought it might be interesting. I loved that film, absolutely loved it. When I looked further into the background of the film I discovered of course that it is based on the novel series by Patrick O'Brien and decided I had found where to restart my reading and thus scoured charity shops for the books. 

It took me about a year to read the Aubrey and Maturin series and my life was changed forever. The series was mesmerising, never before had I been so immersed and drawn into storytelling and planted right in the middle of this historical world that had always so fascinated me through watching endless history documentaries. I had discovered historical fiction, a genre as a teen I had never even considered exploring. 

Now I find myself reading about 20 historical novels a year and still scouring charity shops for more and more. I'm currently working through Edward Marston's Domesday series and I will then treat myself to Ken Follett's new Kingsbridge novel, the new Sharpe novel and the Poldark series, while searching charity shops for the books that make up Bernard Cornwell's Saxon stories. 

All because I got randomly got the film of Master and Commander in a job lot of cheap dvds. And after reading the books, the film went right down in my opinion anyway... 😁

• Like 1

1. The Road To Wigan Pier - George Orwell.

2. With The Old Breed - E B Sledge.

3. Blood For Blood : The Black And Tan War In Galway - William Henry. 
4. The Indifferent Stars Above: The Harrowing Saga Of The Donner Party - Daniel James Brown. 
5. Covered Wagon Women: Diaries & Letters From The Western Trails, 1850: The Diary of Margaret A Frink - Kenneth L Holmes. 

1. The Grapes Of Wrath - John Steinbeck

2. Saturday Night, Sunday Morning- Alan Sillitoe

3. 1984- George Orwell

4. A Christmas Carol- Charles Dickens

5. The Dead Zone- Stephen King

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.