Sheffield Eagles new stadium plans

Eddie

22 hours ago, mozzauk said:

Walking from where??? As the Ground will be a good 5 Miles from the City Centre, and even walking up from Woodseats is a long walk and is all uphill.... and you have to cross 2 very busy roads..  

That all area cant cope with the current volume of traffic on a Sunday, already thanks to the Retail Park just up the road from the new ground... 

And Chesterfield Road is a car park most days of the week...

The only Public Transport is the buses some of which are very unreliable... 

Also lets remember there will be more than just the Eagles on or Sheffield FC at the same time as during the summer there will be Cricket, the Sports Hall and other events going on at the location and around Meadowhead....

A car park right outside the ground?

Ideal.

• Haha 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

58 minutes ago, Skinnywinger said:

Why on earth are they making it all seater? 

😳

They're not.   What made you think that?

8 hours ago, RS50 said:

Yes I've heard about suggestions to extend tram route to that area, but would probably take ages to plan, and even longer to construct.

HS2 is going to terminate just down the road.

Given the ground or seating capacity of only 5,000 this is a commitment to play only at Championship level for the foreseeable future. Of course as of now they also don't have the squad able to get promoted to Super League either.

Unless the ground can be expanded later to a 10,000 seat stadium, with the projected small sideline stand torn down and rebuilt with 5000 seats and corporate facilities, Sheffield Eagles will not be able to play Super League. I realise they can barely attract 1,000 for home games at the present time. But the funds needed to buy a Super League quality team would have to come from the same source which could also attract at least 4,000 home fans.

Salford with its 3,000 home fans base is not a model for Championship clubs aiming at  promotion.

It is a pity really given Sheffield's status as the sixth largest city in England, the club will have to be happy to strive only to be a successful top 6 Championship club. Sad really, because Mark Aston seems such a devoted coach.

Edited by Bradman Better

1 hour ago, Bradman Better said:

Given the ground or seating capacity of only 5,000 this is a commitment to play only at Championship level for the foreseeable future. Of course as of now they also don't have the squad able to get promoted to Super League either.

Unless the ground can be expanded later to a 10,000 seat stadium, with the projected small sideline stand torn down and rebuilt with 5000 seats and corporate facilities, Sheffield Eagles will not be able to play Super League. I realise they can barely attract 1,000 for home games at the present time. But the funds needed to buy a Super League quality team would have to come from the same source which could also attract at least 4,000 home fans.

Salford with its 3,000 home fans base is not a model for Championship clubs aiming at  promotion.

It is a pity really given Sheffield's status as the sixth largest city in England, the club will have to be happy to strive only to be a successful top 6 Championship club. Sad really, because Mark Aston seems such a devoted coach.

That’s the spirit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

6 hours ago, Bradman Better said:

IMG's standards quote a 5000 capacity.

Not ideal, obviously, but it meets the standards at the moment

• Like 4

On 02/04/2024 at 12:36, The 4 of Us said:

That’s the spirit. 

Sheffield FC's Chairman seems to think so:

""I think some people are expecting it to be 5,000 people every week but that's not the case because we're a non-league team and Sheffield Eagles are a Sunday afternoon rugby club," Mr Tims told The Star."

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Sheffield FC's Chairman seems to think so:

""I think some people are expecting it to be 5,000 people every week but that's not the case because we're a non-league team and Sheffield Eagles are a Sunday afternoon rugby club," Mr Tims told The Star."

Does anyone know if he is involved with the Eagles as well as SFC? I'm sure I read there was some sort of joint ownership.

He's clearly trying to calm local fears about the impact of development during consideration of the planning application, but I wouldn't have thought that phrasing gives the kind of impression Sheffield Eagles (as a second tier club) are looking to project.

4 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

Does anyone know if he is involved with the Eagles as well as SFC? I'm sure I read there was some sort of joint ownership.

He's clearly trying to calm local fears about the impact of development during consideration of the planning application, but I wouldn't have thought that phrasing gives the kind of impression Sheffield Eagles (as a second tier club) are looking to project.

As far as I know, he is SFC only, with the mutual majority ownership being another party.

I agree that isn't really the image the Eagles want to project, indeed even by having the womens and wheelchair sides based there too it won't be true either. However, to a certain extent he is perhaps being a little uncomfortably too close to the bone for the situation and the current reality of many part time RL clubs really?

2 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

He has no shares at all. 

• Confused 1

On 02/04/2024 at 11:13, Bradman Better said:

you seemed to have asked a question then answered it but without actually looking at the article to get the facts to be able to answer it properly... 

from the article quoted in the OP:

"The proposed 5,000-capacity stadium will meet the highest standards for both Football and Rugby League, adhering to both Football League and Super League criteria."

then

"Sheffield Eagles Director of Rugby Mark Aston commented: “Sheffield Eagles are very excited to be part of this joint venture with Sheffield FC and to be at the heart of this world-class development, which at the heart will have a stadium that meets the Super League criteria to assist us in our aim to return to the top flight. "

then

" “With league positions making up only 20 per cent of the RFL’s Club Grading Scoring matrix, the development of facilities and the ability to improve our commercial footing and build a solid base for the community aspects of our operation are an absolute priority for us. This development gives us an opportunity to drastically improve our grading and we hope that the entire city can get behind and share in the initiative!”"

I mean as detective work goes its not the hardest!