Sheffield Eagles new stadium plans

Eddie

7 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Excellent news glad its out in the open now.

Yes it’s fabulous news, I used to watch the Eagles a fair bit in the mid to late 90s and can’t wait to see a game at this ground if it comes off. Things seem to be coming together for them now, plus they have two great jerseys for next season. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Yes it’s fabulous news, I used to watch the Eagles a fair bit in the mid to late 90s and can’t wait to see a game at this ground if it comes off. Things seem to be coming together for them now, plus they have two great jerseys for next season. 

Definitely got more potential than the OLP which just seemed to be constantly on a temporary footing with no real commitment from Scarborough group? iirc.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Fair bit out from the city centre but if anything that might make it easier to get to. Handy site too

I've heard they're building a Supertram branch to the ground.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

2 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Will this have a negative impact on their IMG score? Looking at it from a utilisation angle and what must be an increase in capacity?

I think we're a long way from that becoming an issue.

2 minutes ago, Griff said:

I think we're a long way from that becoming an issue.

Yes without a doubt but you have a club trying to improve things but its quite possible that it will hurt their grading. To me its another thing that does not sit right, clubs should be rewarded for making improvements.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Yes without a doubt but you have a club trying to improve things but its quite possible that it will hurt their grading. To me its another thing that does not sit right, clubs should be rewarded for making improvements.

But it is a big improvement on now so I don't see how it will hurt their grading.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

Sounds promising. Would he nice to have another big city club on the scene challenging at the top. 

Your not going to challenge anybody with a 5,000 seater stadium. Let's be realistic, this gives the Eagles a first class Championship stadium, not a SL stadium. In the unlikely events that they could fill it to capacity every game, then they would get by in SL, but they wouldn't be able to compete for the players needed to win it. Not a dig at Sheffield, and not a reason to bar them from trying, just pointing out that the figures don't really work - unless they bag themselves a sugar daddy, they do seem very useful.

10 minutes ago, Damien said:

But it is a big improvement on now so I don't see how it will hurt their grading.

Given that it's a newbuild, I would imagine that the nine requirements will be met.  If so, that would gain us an IMG point.

Based on an average of, say, 1000, we'd have a utilisation score of 0.2 as opposed to around 0.5 at the OLP.

Still 0.7 points up.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Your not going to challenge anybody with a 5,000 seater stadium. Let's be realistic, this gives the Eagles a first class Championship stadium, not a SL stadium. In the unlikely events that they could fill it to capacity every game, then they would get by in SL, but they wouldn't be able to compete for the players needed to win it. Not a dig at Sheffield, and not a reason to bar them from trying, just pointing out that the figures don't really work - unless they bag themselves a sugar daddy, they do seem very useful.

Tbf Salford were one match from winning it and their average crowd would get in that stadium no bother. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Griff said:

Given that it's a newbuild, I would imagine that the nine requirements will be met.  If so, that would gain us an IMG point.

Based on an average of, say, 1000, we'd have a utilisation score of 0.2 as opposed to around 0.5 at the OLP.

Still 0.7 points up.

Yeah that's what I'd have thought. Meeting most of those requirements is cheap as part of a new build and can easily be incorporated. 

14 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Tbf Salford were one match from winning it and their average crowd would get in that stadium no bother. 

Think the difference is Salford can (potentially) scale up from there though. Sheffield are restricted at 5k been their absolute limit. 

Edited by hunsletgreenandgold

19 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Not a very good analogy, considering what a state Salford are now in. Irrespective of the current stadium issues it's pretty obvious that they have been living way beyond their means for quite some time - exactly what would happen to Sheffield should they attempt to compete on gates of 5,000.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Think the difference is Salford can (potentially) scale up from there though. Sheffield are restricted at 5k been their absolute limit. 

Ach - we can soon knock up an extension to the stand if we need it.

24 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Not a very good analogy, considering what a state Salford are now in. Irrespective of the current stadium issues it's pretty obvious that they have been living way beyond their means for quite some time - exactly what would happen to Sheffield should they attempt to compete on gates of 5,000.

But they did compete for trophies though, which is what I was saying is possible in a 5k stadium. 

33 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Can’t they expand the new ground then (if it all happens of course). 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Can’t they expand the new ground then (if it all happens of course). 

They could - but history tells me this almost never happens. It takes clubs long enough to get new/redeveloped stadiums. The idea they could be expanded anywhere in the next 20 years after that is, I think, unprecedented in our sport.