ben evans

bruner

41 minutes ago, pennington said:

I must admit I am slightly worried with the lack of players with only being a few weeks out from pre season. I hope barrow have something up the sleeve. 

I wonder if anything was said about recruitment at last night's AGM? 

21 minutes ago, Bring back GB said:

We must have the smallest squad in the league.

Surely some signings are going to be announced otherwise we are going to be favourites for relegation 

My thoughts exactly. We’re either miles behind everyone else in recruitment - why? Or the club are holding back on announcements - why?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, gilbert08 said:

This is just what I heard of a source could be way off the mark but apparently the club are trying to secure outside investment before committing to signing “marquee” signings on should we say a larger contract. 

Our previous 'Marquee' big bucks signings, Greg Worthington (as a centre), Ben Evans, Sam Brooks and Greg Burke (at first) didn't exactly set the team on fire. Hope we get our big contract new signings right this year, subject it seems to a substantial Investor coming on-board. Our previously bankrupt neighbours Whitehaven flush with cash are signing Aussies, PNG and Welsh International stars, hand-over-fist. Would be very embarrassing if we got crushed on Derby days. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, 2Cents said:

Our previously bankrupt neighbours Whitehaven flush with cash are signing Aussies, PNG and Welsh International stars, hand-over-fist. Would be very embarrassing if we got crushed on Derby days. 

I wouldn't read too much into us being " flush with cash " as I don't think this is the case. It's often cheaper to get players over than it is to sign players in this country. Contract money is nearly always less and bar the flights aren't paying any travel/fuel money every week. I'm sure Barrow have irons in the fire but I'd be a little concerned how long it's taking to announce. You should have Walker and a young SR from a SL side to come in to bolster your pack. Still no word on Sammut so he could be an option if you don't bring in another half.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Neutralfan7 said:

I wouldn't read too much into us being " flush with cash " as I don't think this is the case. It's often cheaper to get players over than it is to sign players in this country. Contract money is nearly always less and bar the flights aren't paying any travel/fuel money every week. I'm sure Barrow have irons in the fire but I'd be a little concerned how long it's taking to announce. You should have Walker and a young SR from a SL side to come in to bolster your pack. Still no word on Sammut so he could be an option if you don't bring in another half.

Would 'flush with solar panels' be more appropriate?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, gilbert08 said:

This is just what I heard of a source could be way off the mark but apparently the club are trying to secure outside investment before committing to signing “marquee” signings on should we say a larger contract. 

In 1969 Keith Jarrett joined Barrow for a signing-on fee of £14,000 (based on increases in average earnings, this would be approximately £380,000 in 2016) - Wikipedia.

That's probably equivalent to £500,000 today.

We must have had deep pockets in 1969. Seems we're on the breadline in 2023.

• Like 1

On 24/11/2023 at 12:39, ghost of uncle fester said:

Article they put out says 3 still to be announced,no disrespect to Ben but he's not really a loss other than a squad member ,brooks got slated on here and social media and he's been far better,says it all really 

I might be getting cynical in my old age, but I suspect that this 'once in a lifetime' job opportunity he's been released to pursue, just happens to coincide with an offer to play for a club nearer home. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Pablo Escobar said:

Loads of time

Playing cups 1st ( Challenge Cup) + 1895 games v Workington, Whitehaven + 1 other I would imagine depends who's closest Rochdale or Swinton?

Will be into March-April before League starts?

1895 gonna be groups of 3 so nailed on I'd imagine barrow,haven and worky ,rumoured league start is march and was hinted aswel by a club statement week or so ago

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ghost of uncle fester said:

1895 gonna be groups of 3 so nailed on I'd imagine barrow,haven and worky ,rumoured league start is march and was hinted aswel by a club statement week or so ago

Workington confirmed their 1895 cup group as being them, Barrow and Whitehaven when they released their season ticket details - So that is the one group of three that has been announced.

The other groups should be announced along with the league fixtures in the next week or so.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

Workington confirmed their 1895 cup group as being them, Barrow and Whitehaven when they released their season ticket details - So that is the one group of three that has been announced.

The other groups should be announced along with the league fixtures in the next week or so.

Fixtures come out next Sunday.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...