Silly season

So you've just won £80million on the euros. Obv you don't have work any more so you buy a rl club....

Which club do you buy or attempt to start from the ground and what do you do with the monies???

Edited by Jack Russell
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jack Russell said:

So you've just won £80million on the euros. Obv you don't have work any more so you buy a rl club....

Which club do you buy and what do you do with the monies???

I'd buy Leicester RUFC and switch codes to RL. :kolobok_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Without a doubt, The Wolfpack. I'd keep the Club going for 5 years, I'd recruit an attack-dog board incl a lawyer, an financial controller, a commercial director-liason-fixer-power broker and an ex-NRL coach. I'd keep the team behind the Wolfpack publicity and marketing. That's £25 million gone incl player salaries, but over that five years, with sponsorship, TV money, gate money etc, I feel I could build something good. 

Of course, if any of you want a slice of the action, I'm selling shares. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JohnM said:

Without a doubt, The Wolfpack. I'd keep the Club going for 5 years, I'd recruit an attack-dog board incl a lawyer, an financial controller, a commercial director-liason-fixer-power broker and an ex-NRL coach. I'd keep the team behind the Wolfpack publicity and marketing. That's £25 million gone incl player salaries, but over that five years, with sponsorship, TV money, gate money etc, I feel I could build something good. 

Of course, if any of you want a slice of the action, I'm selling shares. 😀

I like the sound of this. Will you be paying the players and selling male grooming products?

I'd probably start a completely new team from scratch, in a completely new area for the game, and work to build it up. 

I love Gibraltar and its a British territory with a lot of British culture so people who will be aware of RL even if they don't know masses about it, and a lot of British visitors so people who might fancy taking in a game while on holiday. The population of the territory is also big enough that the team could regularly get a few thousand into games while not so big that there are loads of other sports that could overshadow the RL team.

Right across the border there are large Spanish towns as well so that once the team has started to grow it could be marketed and promoted to potential new fans in these places. 

Eventually there would maybe even be potential for launching a Gibraltar national team and hosting an annual preseason Gibraltar v Spain International or something of that nature. 

If money was no object, I’d buy up some disused sports grounds in London and turn them into amateur rugby league grounds with kick-ass clubhouses with memorabilia on the walls, nice hot showers, comfy changing facilities and craft ale on tap.

• Like 2

I`d create a West Cumbrian club, with the 2 current clubs as feeders, a proper academy set up with a path for young Cumbrians to get to the WC SL team rather than having to leave the area. 

Edited by dkw
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I'd buy Leicester RUFC and switch codes to RL. :kolobok_biggrin:

They'll need to change from tigers too as we already one 

Leicester Grease ....? 

And make absolutely no changes to the playing squad. Blubbery front rowers HAVE to play the full 80 minutes

Actually the whole this off anyway.....80 million would barely pay off their debt!

9 hours ago, Jack Russell said:

Would you be tempted to buy salford, Bradford etc. I dint think I would.

Don't think Salford would sell ....fan owned etc 

Anyone buying Bradford would have to put a new stadium as the number one priority ......watching the event preseason game against on telly was just awful 

2 hours ago, Coggo said:

I like the sound of this. Will you be paying the players and selling male grooming products?

Player payments budgeted for. Male grooming products, yes, but as a high-end profit line item Essence du Loup....parce que je le vaux bien.

19 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

They'll need to change from tigers too as we already one 

Leicester Grease ....? 

And make absolutely no changes to the playing squad. Blubbery front rowers HAVE to play the full 80 minutes

Actually the whole this off anyway.....80 million would barely pay off their debt!

I read that as Leicester Geese! 😜

I'm not sure my people would be particularly happy being associated with that rabble! 

6 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I read that as Leicester Geese! 😜

I'm not sure my people would be particularly happy being associated with that rabble! 

No 'Grease' 

Conjures up unpleasant images which matches both Leicester as a place and the code they play there 

If that money landed in my bank account, I wouldn't buy into a professional setup.

I would however support grass roots projects to help more people play our sport.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris