The 'Carry on' actor and The Great Escape... and more!

This is all rather tremendous news, thanks to some recently declassified documents. Peter Butterworth, who played characters like Brother Belcher in Carry on up the Khyber, had a part in the two legendary escapes from Stalag Luft 3.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68209738

After the war, as an actor, he was turned down for a part in The Wooden Horse for not looking sufficiently like a POW.

FCFjU1gVEAYQUPJ.jpg:large

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Futtocks changed the title to The 'Carry on' actor and The Great Escape... and more!

Every now and then I read/see some news that actually inspires me rather than depresses me and this is definitely in the former category.

Thanks for posting this. 

What a life he lived and by the sounds of it he helped and inspired many other lives.

The%20Warriors%2060.jpg

and married to impressionist Janet Brown famous for her Thatcher take off in the 80s - now there's a couple I  bet had some right laughs together

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 06/02/2024 at 18:34, Futtocks said:

This is all rather tremendous news, thanks to some recently declassified documents. Peter Butterworth, who played characters like Brother Belcher in Carry on up the Khyber, had a part in the two legendary escapes from Stalag Luft 3.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68209738

After the war, as an actor, he was turned down for a part in The Wooden Horse for not looking sufficiently like a POW.

FCFjU1gVEAYQUPJ.jpg:large

Think I might just wander down to the National Archives and have a look at this exhibition when I'm down in London for the Challenge Cup Final 

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

4 hours ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Think I might just wander down to the National Archives and have a look at this exhibition when I'm down in London for the Challenge Cup Final 

I've never visit there. But if the weather's nice, you could make a good day out of it with the Archives and Kew Gardens being so close together, possibly punctuated by lunch at a riverside pub.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/02/2024 at 18:34, Futtocks said:

Wasn't it Brother Belcher involved in this exchange -

"I save fallen women"

"Save me the one with the big earrings"

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Wasn't it Brother Belcher involved in this exchange -

"I save fallen women"

"Save me the one with the big earrings"

Oh yes . I always loved Peter Butterworth , he was my favourite when he was in Carry On . Brother Belcher , Bidet just brilliant 

• Like 1