showing the other scores live updates

49 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I'm basing it on it being the default for pretty much every live coverage of every live sport. They always update with what's going on elsewhere.

Apparently, with the exception of the NRL.

I do like the idea that if there are multiple live games at the same time, I can be sure they will keep me up to date and I can switch channels if I want to go to the game that would be more interesting to me.

This is the thing for me, to the extent that this was something I hadn't even thought about as an issue until this thread. It is just the norm in all sports and has always been the norm in RL too.

I do think you are 100% correct in that this board isn't very representative. I very much doubt that many people see it as an issue and I strongly suspect that the number of people that have the intention of recording 6 matches over the weekend and watching them live is small. Sky will know their audience on that score.

I think @Spidey made a great point with the channel hopping, and again I hadn't thought about that but I suspect it is more allied to viewer behaviour. As someone who thinks the whole NFL Sunday night redzone setup is great and exciting then the flow of information, keeping up to date and seeing scores as they happen and tries feel seems natural.

• Like 3

If you have bought a service where you can watch games as live on catch up its obvious why you would want the scores and incidents from one game not to be spoiled in coverage of another game.

But one of the reasons TV companies pay for live events is because they are live and you can't fast forward through the adverts, catch up TV doesn't have the same advantage for them.

• Like 1

Spoiler alerts have been a thing for years. Right back to scores on news just before match of the day for example. 

Spoiler alerts are massive in articles about tv etc at the moment. They are a real thing that media considers, that people expect, are used to and in many cases appreciate. 

I'm not sure why being averse to them, just because, is a good thing. 

There are plenty of ways that this can be handled, I don't even think a commentator giving a half-assed update of what's going on elsewhere during another match is even a good approach. 

I think there is an argument for updates from elsewhere (NRL and SL) to take place before matches and at half time with spoilers called out. Media have considered how people read about TV and take an approach not to spoil shows, I don't think it's that unreasonable to expect the same in sport, particularly where there are clear solutions. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

This is the thing for me, to the extent that this was something I hadn't even thought about as an issue until this thread. It is just the norm in all sports and has always been the norm in RL too.

I do think you are 100% correct in that this board isn't very representative. I very much doubt that many people see it as an issue and I strongly suspect that the number of people that have the intention of recording 6 matches over the weekend and watching them live is small. Sky will know their audience on that score.

I think @Spidey made a great point with the channel hopping, and again I hadn't thought about that but I suspect it is more allied to viewer behaviour. As someone who thinks the whole NFL Sunday night redzone setup is great and exciting then the flow of information, keeping up to date and seeing scores as they happen and tries feel seems natural.

I agree on the NFL point, and this is one of the things I like about the Friday night games at the same time. In an ideal world, our sport would be big enough to have that kins of show that is absolutely for channel hoppers to watch it all in one place. But I do think that's a different program somewhat. 

So I can absolutely understand the appeal of channel hopping, I'm just not sure we need that verbal update tbh, that's the point, we can channel hop. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I honestly can't think of one where I've watched a live broadcast where they haven't updated on the other scores being played at the same time.

Whilst beibg shown on the same platform is a really important omission from your post and a core point of the discussion. As I say, I *think* CL does it, so your point has merit, I acknowledge that. 

They've given updates for years, and it hasn't been an issue, because the games weren't on Sky. Things have changed. Maybe our approach needs to reflect that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Whilst beibg shown on the same platform is a really important omission from your post and a core point of the discussion.

Literally covering examples where games are being shown by the same broadcaster, by a different broadcaster, and not shown at all.

As the very recent Sky Sports slogan had it: it's only live once.

The numbers watching and the focus reflects that.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

35 minutes ago, Dave T said:

If discussing spoilers in sport on a sport forums is deemed pointless then we really should shut up shop. 

That' s misrepresenting the position, though shutting up shop on this issue............a better alterantivewould be to have the ability to put complete topics on "ignore" as my self-discipline is not strong enough to allow me to avoid commeneting on what are in my view, trivilities and argument for argument sake.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Just now, JohnM said:

That' s misrepresenting the position, though shutting up shop on this issue............a better alterantivewould be to have the ability to put complete topics on "ignore" as my self-discipline is not strong enough to allow me to avoid commeneting on what are in my view, trivilities and argument for argument sake.

I'm not sure what makes this subject deemed to be "arguing for aguings sake". 

How the sport is covered on tv is a perfectly normal discussion that you'd surely expect on an RL fan forum. 

• Like 2

One thing I thought of as well on this is the attention span of kids today. It is all instant action and from my experience they do not watch masses of sport as us old codgers do. I have helped coach 2 different sports and in both in was something that everyone bemoaned, younger people just don't watch the sports they play in huge volumes as we all probably did (which makes coaching much more difficult). I do think, as has been said already, that this forum is not really representative of the way that many consume sport.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hopie said:

If you have bought a service where you can watch games as live on catch up its obvious why you would want the scores and incidents from one game not to be spoiled in coverage of another game.

but again, how many people - not on here but in the big world outside - will have done that? 

I don't particularly support any of the current SL teams, but if Trin hadn't been relegated I'd have considered getting the service (I don't have Sky) because £120 or whatever it is per year is enough *just to watch their matches*. I wouldn't have sat through many of the others. As it is, I'm happy as a neutral with the BBC's FTA offering, and did watch Cas v Wigan on Saturday, which I probably wouldn't have had the BBC/C4/terrestrial not carried it. I'll be watching the WCC (probably) on the same basis.

£120 isn't much to watch one game a week, and I reckon most people will be fans of one or other of the SL sides doing it to do just that. 

If the numbers doing that tip away from those wanting to watch multiple matches, then them's the breaks. As someone watching one match a week in a bit of focused 'time for RL' then I actually quite like the brief updates of what's going on elsewhere because I'm not going to follow them up beyond maybe the highlight clips on the BBC Sport App (which I've downloaded at the weekend, just because the BBC now has the SL highlights....). And watched them all. Seriously, having watched all the available highlight clips and the Cas match I've probably just watched more RL in a weekend than I have ever before. In here that makes me a rank amateur. Away from here I bet more of the UK RL viewing public looks more like me.

Edited by iffleyox

16 minutes ago, iffleyox said:

but again, how many people - not on here but in the big world outside - will have done that? 

I don't particularly support any of the current SL teams, but if Trin hadn't been relegated I'd have considered getting the service (I don't have Sky) because £120 or whatever it is per year is enough *just to watch their matches*. I wouldn't have sat through many of the others. As it is, I'm happy as a neutral with the BBC's FTA offering, and did watch Cas v Wigan on Saturday, which I probably wouldn't have had the BBC/C4/terrestrial not carried it. I'll be watching the WCC (probably) on the same basis.

£120 isn't much to watch one game a week, and I reckon most people will be fans of one or other of the SL sides doing it to do just that. 

If the numbers doing that tip away from those wanting to watch multiple matches, then them's the breaks. As someone watching one match a week in a bit of focused 'time for RL' then I actually quite like the brief updates of what's going on elsewhere because I'm not going to follow them up beyond maybe the highlight clips on the BBC Sport App (which I've downloaded at the weekend, just because the BBC now has the SL highlights....). And watched them all. Seriously, having watched all the available highlight clips and the Cas match I've probably just watched more RL in a weekend than I have ever before. In here that makes me a rank amateur. Away from here I bet more of the UK RL viewing public looks more like me.

In reality, there are just two varying opinions here - those who like updates from other games, and those who don't as they are seen as spoilers.

But, for me, there is a crucial difference being ignored here. 

If you are in the first camp, enjoying knowing what is happening elsewhere, then it is very, very easy to do that - Sky now show every game, so you can actually nip and get a live view. You can also track via social media - people using devices alongside watching sport is common, many of us do it here every week. You can also have multiple screens across devices if you want to, listen to the radio etc - loads of options for keeping updated if that is your preference. I've also called out different ways Sky could do it.

If you don't want spoilers, you don't really have a choice. It's tough. Maybe watching on mute.

• Like 5

Do Sky Sports still do that split screen option thing they used to offer? A few years since I've used Sky direct, and never used it then, but I'd use that for RL if it was an option. 

34 minutes ago, Dave T said:

In reality, there are just two varying opinions here - those who like updates from other games, and those who don't as they are seen as spoilers.

But, for me, there is a crucial difference being ignored here. 

If you are in the first camp, enjoying knowing what is happening elsewhere, then it is very, very easy to do that - Sky now show every game, so you can actually nip and get a live view. You can also track via social media - people using devices alongside watching sport is common, many of us do it here every week. You can also have multiple screens across devices if you want to, listen to the radio etc - loads of options for keeping updated if that is your preference. I've also called out different ways Sky could do it.

If you don't want spoilers, you don't really have a choice. It's tough. Maybe watching on mute.

Forget it mate, some people can’t see the outside their own little minds and what they deem to be relevant. You’ve summed it up very well multiple times and still people want to argue the case for spoilers because… well because they can’t appreciate how easy it is for someone who wants to know multiple live scores to find them.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Forget it mate, some people can’t see the outside their own little minds ...

It's not spoilers. Sport is what happens live.

I'm not having hundreds of thousands of casual fans not being given the full details of the evening's rugby league because a handful of blokes on a forum want to be able to watch matches over the next couple of days in ignorance of the score.

It's not what happens in other sports. It shouldn't be what happens in ours.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

I'm not having hundreds of thousands of casual fans not being given the full details of the evening's rugby league because a handful of blokes on a forum want to be able to watch matches over the next couple of days in ignorance of the score.

Mmmm, I bet you get offended on behalf of people as well. 

whatever you reckon GJ, whatever you reckon.

People are just giving their opinions and no matter how much some people try to misrepresent that one view, quite plainly to stir, it is just as valid as the other. It seems weird that people keep getting angry, and do shouty words, throw out words like obtuse, intolerant and accuse them of having little minds because they don't have the same views as their own.

I completely understand Dave's view but it's clear that for others it's no big deal. I'm not going to pretend to be outraged by something that doesn't bother me and is my normal viewing experience for all sports. I'm not sure the big deal in holding that view.

Instead of getting angry at people for not thinking the same then maybe they'd be better directing that anger at Sky and letting their feelings known. If Sky take their feedback on board then maybe they will find a better way of doing it that can suit everyone. I doubt Sky even think this is an issue because it is quite normal across their programs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Mmmm, I bet you get offended on behalf of people as well. 

You say that like it's a bad thing?

On this, it's a non issue. Like I say, they're not spoilers. This isn't a TV show or a film out in the cinemas. It's live sport. The key word is live.

We already go above and beyond on here by having a policy of not giving away the result in topic headings.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

This 100%

I mean, they are spoilers. You can't just declare that they aren't and that makes it true. Spoilers are a real thing. 

Spoiler alerts have been around for decades. 

Google have used tech to avoid sports spoilers, and BT sports app had a feature. 

It may not be an issue to you, but it's weird to claim giving scores for a game that you aren't watching isn't a potential spoiler. 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I mean, they are spoilers. You can't just declare that they aren't and that makes it true. Spoilers are a real thing. 

Spoiler alerts have been around for decades. 

Google have used tech to avoid sports spoilers, and BT sports app had a feature. 

It may not be an issue to you, but it's weird to claim giving scores for a game that you aren't watching isn't a potential spoiler. 

Indeed, Watch NRL can manage it (bottom right of this image). Its not hard...

Screenshot-2024-02-19-at-12-11-45.png

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gav Wilson said:

Indeed, Watch NRL can manage it (bottom right of this image). Its not hard...

Screenshot-2024-02-19-at-12-11-45.png

And is Watch NRL a regular broadcast television channel?

18 minutes ago, Dave T said:

it's weird to claim giving scores for a game that you aren't watching isn't a potential spoiler. 

I hadn't remotely considered that way and I'm still not convinced. I'm also not convinced that Sky rugby league should stop doing what it's always done and keep its viewers up to date with what is happening in rugby league.

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

I hadn't remotely considered that way and I'm still not convinced. I'm also not convinced that Sky rugby league should stop doing what it's always done and keep its viewers up to date with what is happening in rugby league.

They haven't always given scores of another game that they are showing live on another channel. In fact, this weekend is the first time they've done it in Rugby League.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Gav Wilson said:

Is SL+?

SL+ is carrying the Sky feed though, isn't it?

I'd have no problem with the onus being on SL+ to find ways of obscuring on screen score updates. It's clearly their subscribers who are the issue. But it's not on Sky to change what they're doing.