Never Seen This Before!

When FC went down to 12 men, obviously at the scrum they only put 5 in but never seen packing down with one second row and a loose forward. I know it didn't matter but is it legal or can you choose which position to leave out?

Scrum.jpg.9ad3001afbe5f175f55f8866176eaa17.jpg

Edited by Angelic Upstart
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

goes to show how pointless scrums are in RL  and need replacing with an alternative

I was completely on board with thus before lockdown, then lock down happened and I completely changed my mind. Yes, be less strict about packing it but creating space on the field is a crucial advantage of winning a scrum.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

goes to show how pointless scrums are in RL  and need replacing with an alternative

been a while since someone has said this, so I might as well say it (because I believe it, which helps):

or they could just, you know, contest the scrums properly... it's about the only change I'd make to the whole sport, just enforce all the rules as written...

[ducks]

Edited by iffleyox
  • Like 3

https://www.rugby-league.com/governance/rules-and-regulations/laws-of-the-game

Depleted pack 3. The 3-2-1 formation is compulsory if six forwards pack down. If injuries deplete the team, the back three forwards may be withdrawn to give 3-2-0, 3-1-0 or 3-0-0 formations (subject to there being no more than seven backs – see para 3 above). There should always be at least three forwards packing down.

Edited by Gomersall
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dboy said:

No, should have been pulled up for that.

Can do without a LF, but not a 2nd rower instead.

Agree.  Acceptable scrum formations are 3-2-1 (obviously), 3-2-0, 3-1-0 and 3-0-0.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

4 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

https://www.rugby-league.com/governance/rules-and-regulations/laws-of-the-game
I’m not sure if this covers a team depleted by players being sent from the field. I was always under the impression that there has to be seven backs at a scrum for some reason.

Depleted pack 3. The 3-2-1 formation is compulsory if six forwards pack down. If injuries deplete the team, the back three forwards may be withdrawn to give 3-2-0, 3-1-0 or 3-0-0 formations (subject to there being no more than seven backs – see para 3 above). There should always be at least three forwards packing down.

It’s a maximum of 7 outside the scrum but Hull could have retained 6 in the scrum and it’s the same whether numbers are reduced by injury or foul play

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Angelic Upstart said:

When FC went down to 12 men, obviously at the scrum they only put 5 in but never seen packing down with one second row and a loose forward. I know it didn't matter but is it legal or can you choose which position to leave out?

Scrum.jpg.9ad3001afbe5f175f55f8866176eaa17.jpg

The reason you’ve never seen it before is because it shouldn’t happen 

1 hour ago, iffleyox said:

been a while since someone has said this, so I might as well say it (because I believe it, which helps):

or they could just, you know, contest the scrums properly... it's about the only change I'd make to the whole sport, just enforce all the rules as written...

[ducks]

I'm with you.

There was a thread on here a week or so ago asking what you would do in Rugby League if you won big on the Euromillions.

I have decided, I would sponsor a Rugby League tournament with all the laws applied to see what it would look like.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I'm with you.

There was a thread on here a week or so ago asking what you would do in Rugby League if you won big on the Euromillions.

I have decided, I would sponsor a Rugby League tournament with all the laws applied to see what it would look like.

Which ones though? SL, NRL or international? 

14 minutes ago, Damien said:

Which ones though? SL, NRL or international? 

All of them - I have just won the Euromillions!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris