BBC Live Text

I happened to notice that darts is the latest sport to merit a live text commentary on its premier league nights.

This is a great bug bear of mine the RL simply gets a 'Listen: Super League Commentaries'

Maybe now that every game is on telly, I'm getting greedy.

• Like 1

1 You're maybe getting spoilt but...

2 if they're running it on the darts, surely not all that exciting, why not RL too.

I think it works well for football with frequent updates and RL could be similar. Cricket one can be excellent or get a bit cringeworthy when everyone draws a text-in joke out too long. 

BBC coverage questionable beyond the live games. Can't even see where they've got a list of their forthcoming live televised games. Anyone know? 

3 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

RL has sunk without trace on BBC Sport.

Yes, some highlights videos, but few news items and seems from my Google searches they've put nothing out about more of their live games since a week into Feb when they announced WCC on top of opener.

13 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

They've only just realised that darts is popular since Littler did well. 

Yes, it’s quite bizarre that darts barely existed before the turn of the year and now suddenly because of Littler it’s gained mainstream presence. I know the BBC tend to be behind the times but even this is impressively late to the table for them 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Yes, it’s quite bizarre that darts barely existed before the turn of the year and now suddenly because of Littler it’s gained mainstream presence. I know the BBC tend to be behind the times but even this is impressively late to the table for them 

Almost as if people actually pay to go to events rather than the early rounds of the tennis they've covered forever. Still, their radio commentary from Ally Pally the one year they tried it was awful.

1 minute ago, RigbyLuger said:

Almost as if people actually pay to go to events rather than the early rounds of the tennis they've covered forever. Still, their radio commentary from Ally Pally the one year they tried it was awful.

Talksport do the live darts radio now.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Goes against the establishment 

On 08/03/2024 at 22:35, Archie Gordon said:

The airbrushing of RL on the BBC and in the national media has been happening at a discreet pace for a number of years now . The RFU must be ecstatic.

It also seems to have gone quiet on the IMG front ? or are they busy sorting out lucrative sponsorship and TV deals for RL.

I wait with baited breath.

Are you expecting IMG to release a statement every day saying what they are doing? 

There's been new broadcast deals, the Super League + launch, and some minor sponsorship deals. What else are you wanting right now?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, soulboy said:

The airbrushing of RL on the BBC and in the national media has been happening at a discreet pace for a number of years now . The RFU must be ecstatic.

It also seems to have gone quiet on the IMG front ? or are they busy sorting out lucrative sponsorship and TV deals for RL.

I wait with baited breath.

You'll be waiting a long time. bated, which is a shortened form of abated, is the correct spelling. 👍🙂

On 08/03/2024 at 22:20, RigbyLuger said:

They've only just realised that darts is popular since Littler did well. 

True. It's as if history has been forgotten. Wogan's Web was on BBC1 during the daytime in the late 1990s. That was quite funny in a dark way as he once threw darts at a picture of Carol Vorderman. Not a small target, though.

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/03/2024 at 22:35, Archie Gordon said:

This only seems to be getting worse.

Previous years the BBC's RL main page had a permanent link to games they were covering live (TV, streaming or radio). This year this has gone (links to the coverage appearing a couple of minutes ahead of kick-off) and if you wanted to check in advance what would be covered, you had to search out their live sport guide and filter for rugby league.

I notice today that the 'live guide' is only covering football, cricket and rugby union. All other sports seem to have been removed.

The excellent rugbyleagueontv.com has the info on what will be broadcast, but the BBC's own website doesn't carry that information.

I assume we will still get the links to the coverage on the BBC RL page a couple of minutes before kick-off.

24 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

This only seems to be getting worse.

Previous years the BBC's RL main page had a permanent link to games they were covering live (TV, streaming or radio). This year this has gone (links to the coverage appearing a couple of minutes ahead of kick-off) and if you wanted to check in advance what would be covered, you had to search out their live sport guide and filter for rugby league.

I notice today that the 'live guide' is only covering football, cricket and rugby union. All other sports seem to have been removed.

The excellent rugbyleagueontv.com has the info on what will be broadcast, but the BBC's own website doesn't carry that information.

I assume we will still get the links to the coverage on the BBC RL page a couple of minutes before kick-off.

The BBC has many faces but it's clear that BBC Sport has little regard for our game. Some of this is our own fault, of course. International and women's sport has pushed us out - we have shown little interest in either.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Archie Gordon said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live-guide

Hmmm.

Hopefully, it will get updated.

I genuinely thought the new BBC deal at the beginning of the season with regards to SL was going to be a new dawn for RL on the BBC but I'm getting more and more despondent with their dedication to it. If anything their interest in it seems to have waned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sam4731 said:

I genuinely thought the new BBC deal at the beginning of the season with regards to SL was going to be a new dawn for RL on the BBC but I'm getting more and more despondent with their dedication to it. If anything their interest in it seems to have waned.

We obviously negotiated really poorly.

3 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

No.

You may see a different list.

Sorry A, just me being flippant. The two listed Challenge Cup games are what the BBC now routinely calls the RU European Challenge Cup. 

7 hours ago, Archie Gordon said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live-guide

Hmmm.

Hopefully, it will get updated.

Rugby League was one of the tabs on the live guide until a few weeks ago.

I've asked why it has been removed and where their customers can find out from them in advance what RL is being broadcast (on their RL page, live games are only being put up slightly in advance or slightly after kick-off). No answer yet. 

Edited by Barley Mow