The NRL Round 3 Match Thread

g2hpPWs.jpeg

Penrith Panthers v Brisbane Broncos
Bronx without Payne Hass and Adam Reynolds after loding Flegler and Faenworth to the Dolphins and look off the pace against a resurgent Penny Panthers. Panthers clawing their way to victory ?

New Zealand Warriors v Canberra Raiders

The Wahs have had two close losses whereas Canberra are off to a perfect start but this is the first serous test for Ricky's Raiders and its across the ditch.

As an aside loving Ricky's appearance at the end of the new NRL McDonalds advert where he can find no fault with McDonalds in his press conference. Taking the rise out of himself.

Warriors to repel Raiders?

Sydney Roosters v South Sydne

I feel it in my bones, the scene is set for a Souffs win.

Wabbits in turmoil, Coach under pressure, Latrell being himself, injuries a plenty but its a Derby game so all that goes out the window.

Roosters lose this and its 1-2 for the season and the traditional slow start continues not that Trent Robinson ever comes under media pressure...

Battling Bunnies Bounce Back?

Canterbury Bulldogs v Gold Coast Titans

Cultural change.match 1 with both clubs in the habit of losing. Canterbury have the return of the Fox to a side that looks better on paper that it currently plays though I expect a big second half of the season from this club.

Des Haesler has changed the way that Gold Coast play but as yet nit the results they are getting and considering that the Gold Coat club are the one side missing out on the attendance boom does anyone really care that.much.

Dogs savage Des?

St George Illawarra Dragons v North Queensland Cowboys

Shane Flanagan can be under no illusions about the size of the task involved in changing the Dragons losing culture. 

Good luck then in turning around Sundays "performance" in six days against a North Quuensland side that surely cannot be as clunky as they were in the first half against the Knights.

How bout them Cowboys!

Wests Tigers v Cronulla Sharks

Cultural change in tigertown still being impeded by noises off the field.

Benjis decision to go with the young tyro Lachlan Galvin may pay off in the medium to long term and as a man who grew up without a father figure who could fault his desire to spend less time watching film and more time with his kids especially when he can delegate to the likes of John Morris.

When things are going well this never becomes an issue when it is not going well it does...

This is a trap game for Sharkies who can play down to the level of their opposition particularly when heavily favoured.

Sharks premiership hopes go West ?

Paramatta Eels v Manly Sea Eagles 

Both sides know that to be taken seriously their opposition in this game Has to be beat.

The silvertails have surprised me with their two wins but this is in Parra Territory.

Eels shock Silvertails?

Newcastle Knights v Melbourne Storm

The Knights have had two tough losses and against a Storm team minus Cameron Munster and the suspended Jahrome Hughes I was getting ready to call this for the Knights.

But then Adam O'Brien drops Jackson Hadtings for Jack Cogger, a move that smacks of a certain desperation, and not one that Jacko took well.

Novocastrian Knightmare ?

Edited by Graham
  • Like 3

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

A bit premature to say Titans missing out on “attendance boom”. Played one home game v a bottom feeder club which clashed with a very big and heavily marketed AFL game a couple of miles up the road.

They averaged just under 20k last season, better than all but two sydney teams, better than the three peat champion panthers and 8th best in the league. Not bad for a team that hasnt won a play off game in 13 years and only made play offs twice in that time.

Still, lets not miss an opportunity to bag the Titans I suppose.

6 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

A bit premature to say Titans missing out on “attendance boom”. Played one home game v a bottom feeder club which clashed with a very big and heavily marketed AFL game a couple of miles up the road.

They averaged just under 20k last season, better than all but two sydney teams, better than the three peat champion panthers and 8th best in the league. Not bad for a team that hasnt won a play off game in 13 years and only made play offs twice in that time.

In response, I was at Gold Coast's very first game in 2006 at Suncorp when they selected as their opponent the "bottom feeder" club you mentioned. I will let others respond on that description of St George-Illawarra.

I have also seen the Gold Coast at Carrara and Robina and always with empty seats and sales of the oppositions gear at the ground outstripping that for the home team.

I have been on the Gold Coast last week, and saw no publicity for the Titans nor anyone wearing their shirt. It's  noticeable that when you go to Best and Less in Kippa Ring mall for example you see items for the Bronx, Dolphins and North Queensland Cowboys but diddly squat on the Titans.

You comment about an AFL game being a bigger draw than Rugby League for the Gold Coasr fanbase proves my point rather than yours.

The Titans are not the first time that the game has tried and failed to establish a team on the Gold Coast with its transient tourist population. With expansion back on the agenda, would it not be a good idea for the Titans to relocate to a real RL stronghold out west in Ipswich.

The Ipswich Titans, now that makes sense.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

1 hour ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

In response, I was at Gold Coast's very first game in 2006 at Suncorp when they selected as their opponent the "bottom feeder" club you mentioned. I will let others respond on that description of St George-Illawarra.

I have also seen the Gold Coast at Carrara and Robina and always with empty seats and sales of the oppositions gear at the ground outstripping that for the home team.

I have been on the Gold Coast last week, and saw no publicity for the Titans nor anyone wearing their shirt. It's  noticeable that when you go to Best and Less in Kippa Ring mall for example you see items for the Bronx, Dolphins and North Queensland Cowboys but diddly squat on the Titans.

You comment about an AFL game being a bigger draw than Rugby League for the Gold Coasr fanbase proves my point rather than yours.

The Titans are not the first time that the game has tried and failed to establish a team on the Gold Coast with its transient tourist population. With expansion back on the agenda, would it not be a good idea for the Titans to relocate to a real RL stronghold out west in Ipswich.

The Ipswich Titans, now that makes sense.

So what about the 20k average attendance last season?

Ipswich…….playing on a cricket ground? Maybe thats the plan given they now have adopted the jets as one of their QRL affiliates.

Not sure you understood the significance of the AFL game in question….one of the greatest coaches in history in charge of his first game for the suns against the team he took to be one of the best teams in history. The equivalent of Titans signing wayne bennet as coach and his first game being v Broncos.

Not sure about the Dogs. Last week I thought they looked their best for a couple of years and they were only down 12-6 up until the 65th minute. I don't think Addo Carr is back this week.

• Graham changed the title to The NRL Round 3 Match Thread
4 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

So what about the 20k average attendance last season?

Ipswich…….playing on a cricket ground? Maybe thats the plan given they now have adopted the jets as one of their QRL affiliates.

Not sure you understood the significance of the AFL game in question….one of the greatest coaches in history in charge of his first game for the suns against the team he took to be one of the best teams in history. The equivalent of Titans signing wayne bennet as coach and his first game being v Broncos.

No not into AFL I am a League fan and to me that makes no difference

Inner West line down Saturday so my plans on watching the Bulldogs v Titans in the afternoon and Wests v Sharkies in the evening has the makings of another epic RR journey from hell courtesy of City rail. 

George Orwell

Out for Penrith is prop Fisher-Harris. Last year this fixture was a Round 1 match-up loss for Penrith following the Penrith home loss to St Helens.

Penrith are favoured to win and it should be a cracking game. Had been offered a seat for tonight's match but will watch it at home. 

3 hours ago, George Watt said:

Out for Penrith is prop Fisher-Harris. Last year this fixture was a Round 1 match-up loss for Penrith following the Penrith home loss to St Helens.

Penrith are favoured to win and it should be a cracking game. Had been offered a seat for tonight's match but will watch it at home. 

Haas out for Broncos.

Edited by Graham

21 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

The Titans are cack! Not for the crowds, but for their continued pitiful performances.

4 hours ago, George Watt said:

Why did you skip on watching at the ground?

4 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I figure if a player is reported for high contact and the player he contacted is sent for head assessment, surely said defender should be sin binned shouldn’t he?

That looked like it was a completely accidental clash of heads.

Penalty awarded. 2-0 Broncos 

1 minute ago, Graham said:

That looked like it was a completely accidental clash of heads.

Penalty awarded. 2-0 Broncos 

Yeah I understand, but as the referee declared, it is up to the tackler to avoid high contact and the didn’t. His high contact subsequently led to the player being subjected to a ten minute HIA.

I feel like that warrants ten minutes. Especially when it’s a Penrith player 😉 

Just now, Graham said:

An altercation. Surprise, Luai involved!

Penalising Brisbane for interfering with defenders there seems ludicrous to me. What was I saying about decisions from Kline in the bunker?