Super League Wages

21 hours ago, Futtocks said:

If you have a conveyor belt of home-grown talent and three carefully-chosen marquee players, plus a few other strategic signings where needed, you can go beyond the salary cap by quite a distance.

If you're not developing young talent, have signed a couple of cranky NRL crocks and decided to give a "gifted but difficult" player his umpteenth last chance, you can spend almost as much for far less return.

Though I agree with much of what you say it has to be said that Hardaker doesn't actually mess up ON the field ....he's been a very good player at every club he has been at 

22 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Just clocked this on Twitter:

:

Saw this too

I really don't get how Rhinos aren't the biggest spenders....

I'm right in thinking they have the biggest overall income of every club right?

A comparatively poor crowd last night ....maybe a be sign that past success is starting to look longer and longer away 

1 minute ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Saw this too

I really don't get how Rhinos aren't the biggest spenders....

I'm right in thinking they have the biggest overall income of every club right?

A comparatively poor crowd last night ....maybe a be sign that past success is starting to look longer and longer away 

I would guess that it is maybe because their marquee players aren't paid as much as Wigan's. Probably because they don't deserve as much.

I agree that they should be aiming to do so though, by signing or developing players who deserve those marquee wages.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Mitchell Starc will be paid £2.4m to play in the IPL, which runs for about 10 weeks. That's £240,000 per week.

News to me. Helpful to know.

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

Money for nurses or firemen etc comes from government funds, except the government doesn't have its own money. It's ours, the taxpayers, unless the government borrows. So if nurses were paid say 1 million a year our taxes would sky rocket to pay for it.

Footballers or other top sports people are paid by private money from subscriptions to TV companies leading to advertising revenue for Sky et al,  or attendees at games. So it's the public that makes football or F1 popular leading to high revenues sloshing about. 

I understand where the money comes from. Doesn't seem any fairer.

5 hours ago, Damien said:

Dispensations such as the marquee rule are to improve the competition and attract/keep star players. As a recent example Wigan would have lost Bevan French if it wasn't for the marquee rule and SL would be all the poorer for that.

Lost Bevan French to whom? He wasn't even playing in the NRL. 

5 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Lost Bevan French to whom? He wasn't even playing in the NRL. 

Lost to the NRL instead of signing his new contract. If you don't think an NRL club would sign him without Wigan being able to pay marquee wages then its up to you.

I'd suggest you are in the minority though. Even the NRL average wage is more than the current marquee figure and he'd be cheap cover for 3 positions at the very least.

• Like 2