Super League Wages

• GeordieSaint changed the title to Super League Wages

If you have a conveyor belt of home-grown talent and three carefully-chosen marquee players, plus a few other strategic signings where needed, you can go beyond the salary cap by quite a distance.

If you're not developing young talent, have signed a couple of cranky NRL crocks and decided to give a "gifted but difficult" player his umpteenth last chance, you can spend almost as much for far less return.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 7

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

18 minutes ago, JohnM said:

For reference, Declan Rice - Arsenal-  is on about £12.5 million a year.

Are you sure about that? That's 240,000 a week, I can believe that of  Mbappe or Saudi League players, but For Rice it seems excessive.

6 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Are you sure about that? That's 240,000 a week, I can believe that of  Mbappe or Saudi League players, but For Rice it seems excessive.

Google "Declan Rice salary" - that bit's public knowledge. Sponsorships, endorsements and one-off payments for appearances etc. will swell it even more.

For comparison, last year Cristiano Ronaldo was on about £107 million per annum in 2023.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

£240k a week doesn’t even put him in the top 10 highest paid players in the Premier League. Highest paid is Kevin De Bruyne, on a reported £425k a week.

• Like 1

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

£240k a week doesn’t even put him in the top 10 highest paid players in the Premier League. Highest paid is Kevin De Bruyne, on a reported £425k a week.

An obscene amount of money for an individual to be commanding for the job he does. The sky rocket wages of soccer players absolutely turns me off the sport.

14 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

An obscene amount of money for an individual to be commanding for the job he does. The sky rocket wages of soccer players absolutely turns me off the sport.

The market supports the going rate. If Football ever collapses in on itself it'll probably still be an insanely lucrative career because the money in the game's never going to fall as far down as "when I were a lad".

• Like 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

The market supports the going rate. If Football ever collapses in on itself it'll probably still be an insanely lucrative career because the money in the game's never going to fall as far down as "when I were a lad".

Yes it does, but doesn’t mean I agree with it. Sometimes parts of society needs saving from itself.

I wasn't meaning to turn this into a thread about soccer salaries, rather just pointing out the contrast. In Super League, earning careers are relatively short and once playing days are over, career opportunities in the game are few. 

11 hours ago, HawkMan said:

They did pay over £100m for him he isn’t then going to sign for peanuts. 

1 hour ago, bamfordsbeans said:

Hull are lower than I expected.

It shouldn't be a surprise - Pearson has been really clear that they are struggling financially.

6 hours ago, JohnM said:

I wasn't meaning to turn this into a thread about soccer salaries, rather just pointing out the contrast. In Super League, earning careers are relatively short and once playing days are over, career opportunities in the game are few. 

I don’t necessarily agree that professional sports persons should be exempt from pursuing careers beyond footy.

I do think the SL is underpaid though. I am comfortable with the salaries top Australian sportspersons are earning. I think they are being handsomely rewarded without being overpaid

24 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I don’t necessarily agree that professional sports persons should be exempt from pursuing careers beyond footy.

I do think the SL is underpaid though. I am comfortable with the salaries top Australian sportspersons are earning. I think they are being handsomely rewarded without being overpaid

Surely it's all relative though? As long as Football generates billions a year then players will want their cut of that. Rightly so really.

The only way to change that is to have less money in the sport. However as long as Football has the stranglehold it has with the huge demand to see it, not just in the UK but the world over, then that isn't changing.

The trouble for SL is that it doesn't generate enough money across the board.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Damien said:

Surely it's all relative though? As long as Football generates billions a year then players will want their cut of that. Rightly so really.

I don’t have the answers but it just absolutely grates me the disparity in income earned between the top soccer players and the 99% of the population they are representing when they pull a jersey on. All for kicking a ball. 

10 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

It’s all relative. There are basketball and American Football players earning twice that. If the sport/clubs can afford it then good luck to them.

The reason there are no big earners in RL is simply down to affordability, I can guarantee you that if SL were suddenly handed an extra £100m a year tomorrow then most of it would go on player wages. The players wouldn’t be any better than they are now but the market would change. It’s what happened at the beginning of SL when distinctly average players suddenly went from £20k a year to being £100k a year players overnight, especially during the SL war when the NRL(ARL) were offering big money to average British players. This led to some players pocketing 6 figure “loyalty bonuses” simply for staying at home in the UK.

Players are a commodity, and with any commodity the market will decide their value. 

• Like 1

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

I've said it before and I'll say it again. When you have clubs that are reliant on central funding for their survival, you will have this type of disparity. Until you have a salary cap that everyone can spend to, the whole thing becomes redundant.

18 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I don’t have the answers but it just absolutely grates me the disparity in income earned between the top soccer players and the 99% of the population they are representing when they pull a jersey on. All for kicking a ball. 

It doesn't bother me too much that they earn huge salaries as long as they pay all their taxes. It's people who evade paying their taxes that annoy me.