The NRL Round 9 Thread

78/79th minute finally sees both sides pull out the Challenges. Warriors win, Knights lose but they just wanted a break for the last minute of defence.

The burning question in this game: which part of Cameron McInnes's head will need stitches this week?

• Haha 2

14min: Kaufusi scores next to the posts

It was pretty even up till then

Hynes goal

Sharks 6 - 0

23mni: Ben Hunt crosses but drops the ball. St George get a penalty for Sharks inside 10m

26min: Ravalawa in the corner after a block of Dragons possession.

The wind pushes Lomax's kick away

St George 4 - 6

With 10 seconds left to HT Ravalawa goes in the corner again

Lomax kicks this one.

HT:  St George  10  Cronulla  6

Hopefully during HT someone explained to Warren Smith that the reason Jaydn Su'a is getting from one side of the field to the other so quickly between plays is because one is Su'a and the other side is Faitala Mariner.

• Haha 1

St George challenge on a Jack Bird lost ball in tackle. No joy. Another example of "define "lost" The ball never lost contact with his hand although you could say he lost control of it.

46: Talakai grounds it this time.

Hynes goal

Fish 12 - 10

What a stupid challenge by the Shirks. Talakai didn't just knock on. He knocked on twice within a 3m run.

Stupid play here by Fish. They've had all the ball in the second half but they keep going for the miracle plays. They could've ground them into submission by now with simple plays.

Oh FFS!! Warren. It's Faitala-Mariner not Su'a. If only there was some system they could use to differentiate similar-looking players. Maybe some kind of symbol on the back of their jumpers or something.

• Haha 1

65min: Try-scoring machine Thomas Hazelton goes in next to the post

Hynes goal

Cronulla 18 - 10

Good timing for Dragons. Fa'amanu Brown goes off injured just as Liddle is ready to come back from HIA

76min: Sharks get a penalty for offside at scrum 10m out so they take the kick to wind down the clock.

Hynes goal

Cronulla 20 - 10

SGI still a work in progress but competitive in wet conditions. Once Sharkies applied pressure evenually the Dragons cracked. Because Shark Park is bang on Wooloware Bay when it rains it pours as I can testify. So here's hoping the fans dry out quick.

Elsewhere it's not looking too flash for the Wah's as they suffer another defeat at Newcastle and in the larte game yesterday the fun team in the competiton, the Dolphins, inflicted more misery on the Cows who beat themselves as much as lose to the opposition this season.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Posted (edited)

For some reason this video can't be embedded. This is the Sezer tackle on Curran. I've cued the video to the time of the tackle.

https://youtu.be/NlY0Go1Yams?t=183

So the speed setting doesn't work with a link. Anyway, if you slow the speed to 1/4 you can see the whole thing pretty clearly. Sezer doesn't drop on Curran, his leg doesn't even drop on Curran's leg. It's been legal to use your legs in a tackle for 100 years as long as you have a grip on the tackled player.

Edited by Farmduck

15 hours ago, Farmduck said:

I don't understand this one. Fox is bleating about a 4-week suspension. There's just been a similar tackle in the Knights/Warriors game- on report and no penalty. You can see here Sezer's bum is almost on the ground and there's no part of Curran under him. If it's a hip drop, there's no hip involved -we can see both Sezer's hips and Curran is not under him - and where's the drop? What part of Sezer is dropped on Curran's legs/ankles? Curran's ankle is at an awkward angle but the only part of Sezer on Currans legs is Sezer's legs and you've always been able to use your legs on the ball-carrier's legs after you've grabbed him.

I might try to find a screen grab from a different angle to show the relative positions of the players' legs.

GMtuYO2bMAAdzCB?format=jpg&name=large

It’s not necessarily about your body landing on the player although that does sometimes make things worse. Just the act of grabbing a player and then pulling him down by taking your weight off your feet and using that to drag the player down is enough. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Farmduck said:

For some reason this video can't be embedded. This is the Sezer tackle on Curran. I've cued the video to the time of the tackle.

https://youtu.be/NlY0Go1Yams?t=183

So the speed setting doesn't work with a link. Anyway, if you slow the speed to 1/4 you can see the whole thing pretty clearly. Sezer doesn't drop on Curran, his leg doesn't even drop on Curran's leg. It's been legal to use your legs in a tackle for 100 years as long as you have a grip on the tackled player.

Dangerous tackle attempt. He didn't merely use his leg to sweep him over over. He jumped his back and used his legs to bring him down. Just fortunate that the leg escaped in the nick of time. This is a sin-binning and a ban, in my opinion

I’ve enjoyed this season so far but I didn’t enjoy much of this round . Some games weren’t that good and we’ve seen good officiating on the main but I don’t know if there’s been a clampdown in the week but the level of ref involvement with six agains and penalties especially was just utterly ridiculous . Couple of games I was on the verge of knocking off . Kasey Badger is way off this level of officiating to , she really struggled 

• Like 1