Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * - 5 votes

The Photography Thread

• Please log in to reply
2610 replies to this topic

#2261 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,079 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:40 PM

I did. Not had any feedback as yet though.

You need to go to the Camera School and look up your photo. Sort the a-z and then wade through to your photo to see its rating.

http://www.photoansw...Z1z0oxpz/?Rpp=9

Mine is titled Little Scotland, I posted it on the Photography thread a couple of weeks back.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#2262 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:08 PM

You need to go to the Camera School and look up your photo. Sort the a-z and then wade through to your photo to see its rating.

Mine is titled Little Scotland, I posted it on the Photography thread a couple of weeks back.

Well done by the way. Mine is called Gibson Mill, for which I appear to have a Silver. It is a colour version of last month's photo comp winner. I'm happy enough with that, especially as I wasn't wholly convinced it met the requirements of the theme (as taught in the lessons at least).

Just need to find a model for this month's portrait module, as the wife goes nuts everytime I point the camera in her direction!

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#2263 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,079 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:22 PM

Well done by the way. Mine is called Gibson Mill, for which I appear to have a Silver. It is a colour version of last month's photo comp winner. I'm happy enough with that, especially as I wasn't wholly convinced it met the requirements of the theme (as taught in the lessons at least).

Just need to find a model for this month's portrait module, as the wife goes nuts everytime I point the camera in her direction!

You probably just got marked down for the photo being to middley, They were emphasising the rule of thirds, you got the front to back back focus and exposure right.

Module 2, you could go for a self portrait.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#2264 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,110 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:03 AM

Got any relatives/friends with kids?  Always goes down well to take a quality portrait of a moppet.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#2265 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:20 AM

Got any relatives/friends with kids?  Always goes down well to take a quality portrait of a moppet.

Neice & nephew. 40 miles away, and at 3 & 1, not quite the age to stay still for long to pose. I have taken the odd decent shot of them in the past, but not in a traditional "portrait pose". Might have to wonder into town on Saturday if it's nice and try a few subtle street photography style portaits of the tourists.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

#2266 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,079 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:31 AM

Neice & nephew. 40 miles away, and at 3 & 1, not quite the age to stay still for long to pose. I have taken the odd decent shot of them in the past, but not in a traditional "portrait pose". Might have to wonder into town on Saturday if it's nice and try a few subtle street photography style portaits of the tourists.

Just someone to pose for you, explain what you are doing and why, explain where it will be posted and ask them for an email address you can send them a copy to.

I'm lucky this month with portrait as the wife's family want a whole bunch of portraits doing.

#2267 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,381 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:37 AM

Pictures by a 14-year old Photoshop whizzkid. Pretty damn impressive stuff.

Edited by Futtocks, 30 May 2013 - 09:40 AM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#2268 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,138 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:52 PM

Pictures by a 14-year old Photoshop whizzkid. Pretty damn impressive stuff.

But its not photography, its digital art and design

#2269 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,079 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:11 PM

But its not photography, its digital art and design

Oooohhh, I feel a debate starting (I'm with you by the way)

Someone at work brought in a 1960s edition of Amateur Photographer, the letters pages was filled with arguments about chemical processing and solarization in particular. Was it photography or was it chemistry.

It was quite interesting that post processing was causing such a stir 50 years ago, not unlike today.

#2270 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:29 PM

Oooohhh, I feel a debate starting (I'm with you by the way)

Someone at work brought in a 1960s edition of Amateur Photographer, the letters pages was filled with arguments about chemical processing and solarization in particular. Was it photography or was it chemistry.

It was quite interesting that post processing was causing such a stir 50 years ago, not unlike today.

I'd agree with that example. However, where does post processing stop and it move to being something else? As you say, one you could argue about all day. The end result is what most people will care about, whatever the means of reaching it.

Please view my photos.

#2271 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,079 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:04 PM

I'd agree with that example. However, where does post processing stop and it move to being something else? As you say, one you could argue about all day. The end result is what most people will care about, whatever the means of reaching it.

That line is the one that different people have very different views on.

My personal view is that once you take two images and start to blend them together then you are moving away from photography as I personally see it.

Others will move that line one way or the other dependent on their view.

A while back on a photography forum I frequent someone set a challenge to take a picture and post it without any post processing at all, something a lot of people do on here*. As quick as a flash someone came back and asked how he posted raw photographs on the internet, Convert to JPG was the reply. To do that I have to post process was the response. Ok shoot in JPG, Reponse, if I shoot in JPG I can post process in camera by adjusting the camera settings for Portrait, Landscape, White Balance, enhanced saturation, sharpening settings etc. etc.

Just as different film gave different results, different camera settings give different results, the modern camera allows a change of film between shots and doesn't limit you to 32 (or 24 or whatever) at the same settings.

Its an interesting but un-resolvable debate. Very apt for an RL forum.

*Note my later comments

Edited by Padge, 30 May 2013 - 09:05 PM.

#2272 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:10 PM

That line is the one that different people have very different views on.

My personal view is that once you take two images and start to blend them together then you are moving away from photography as I personally see it.

Others will move that line one way or the other dependent on their view.

A while back on a photography forum I frequent someone set a challenge to take a picture and post it without any post processing at all, something a lot of people do on here*. As quick as a flash someone came back and asked how he posted raw photographs on the internet, Convert to JPG was the reply. To do that I have to post process was the response. Ok shoot in JPG, Reponse, if I shoot in JPG I can post process in camera by adjusting the camera settings for Portrait, Landscape, White Balance, enhanced saturation, sharpening settings etc. etc.

Just as different film gave different results, different camera settings give different results, the modern camera allows a change of film between shots and doesn't limit you to 32 (or 24 or whatever) at the same settings.

Its an interesting but un-resolvable debate. Very apt for an RL forum.

*Note my later comments

I'd probably not drift too far from your view to be honest. Maybe if I could post process better I'd have a different view!

At this moment in time, my priority no 1 is to improve my technique for photographing, as if you get a good shot in the first place, it shouldn't need so much processing later. As such, here's one of tonights efforts after 20 mins this evening wondering around within about 20 yards of my back door.

8895063222_99c904989d_z.jpg
Buttercups_0302.jpg by 77gazza, on Flickr

Please view my photos.

#2273 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:20 PM

And just to demonstrate how post processing can change things, the same shot with a different white balance setting. Not sure which version I prefer!

8894583833_4c1f6bebe6_z.jpg
Buttercups_03022 by 77gazza, on Flickr

Please view my photos.

#2274 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,079 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:40 PM

Or if you don't mind, a few quick tweaks and....

Photo or digital art?

gazza1_zpsec236940.jpg

Edited by Padge, 30 May 2013 - 10:20 PM.

#2275 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,110 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:25 AM

It's been downhill since daguerreotypes.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#2276 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,699 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:18 AM

A good photo well composed will always be that. Post production editing will only go so far in improving the shot.

Anyway, I've just been given a new canon camera :tongue:  they have developed since I bought my 450. Feel as if I have to learn it all again!

#2277 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,079 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

1. A good photo well composed will always be that. Post production editing will only go so far in improving the shot.

2. Anyway, I've just been given a new canon camera :tongue:  they have developed since I bought my 450. Feel as if I have to learn it all again!

1.  Ah but when does post production editing become digital art, when has the photograph(s) been edited so much it can no longer be considered a photograph but becomes a creation of the mind and not of the camera.

2. So come on then what did you get?

#2278 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:24 PM

I see feedback has now been added to those that did not get a gold. Having looked through a few, what I actually mean is "Composition needs more attention" appears to have been added to all those that did not get a gold. <_< A little more constructive criticism would have been nice, but hey, it's all a bit of practise. :)

Please view my photos.

#2279 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,079 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:18 PM

I see feedback has now been added to those that did not get a gold. Having looked through a few, what I actually mean is "Composition needs more attention" appears to have been added to all those that did not get a gold. <_< A little more constructive criticism would have been nice, but hey, it's all a bit of practise. :)

That's what I said, except I did point out it was 'middley'

It looks like if you get the basics right, exposure, wight balance etc. then you go through for an award. You are then judged on the composition of the photograph, which was the main ai.

They were looking for front to back maximum depth of field (using the hyper-focal point), rule of thirds, leading lines etc. I presume the more of these you then met decided if you got gold, silver or bronze.

Edited by Padge, 31 May 2013 - 01:25 PM.

#2280 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:42 PM

That's what I said, except I did point out it was 'middley'

It looks like if you get the basics right, exposure, wight balance etc. then you go through for an award. You are then judged on the composition of the photograph, which was the main ai.

They were looking for front to back maximum depth of field (using the hyper-focal point), rule of thirds, leading lines etc. I presume the more of these you then met decided if you got gold, silver or bronze.

I know that's what you said. :P I also knew it myself :D I'd agree that seems to be the basic scoring criteria, looking at some of the handful of "fails" makes me wonder why people bothered though!

The point I was making was that I would have expected a little more than that, especially as that was word for word the same on every one of the 6 or 7 other silver and bronze rated shots I looked at.

Please view my photos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users