TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

That Gamebreaking Tackle

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:27 PM

QUOTE (m brooksy @ Jul 15 2010, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I disagree, it was a good tackle but it was awful play by Fox who had a cracking game up until that point. Why carry the ball in your left hand when you are on the right wing and need your left to fend the defenders off.

because Fox, like everybody else didn't give anyone a prayer of stopping him from scoring. for mine briscoe's tackle was as good as slaters in orogin on wednesday.
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#22 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:48 PM

Belter.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#23 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE (m brooksy @ Jul 15 2010, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I disagree, it was a good tackle but it was awful play by Fox who had a cracking game up until that point. Why carry the ball in your left hand when you are on the right wing and need your left to fend the defenders off.

Spot on. Great tackle, but Fox should have transfered the ball to his right hand and fended with his left. He'd have scored then. Poor play from Fox IMO, he bombed the try. But still a great effort from Briscoe.
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#24 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:07 PM

If Briscoe is not playing for England in October then the coach McNamara is a bigger idiot than I have thought.

Tom Briscoe is a great attacking player. He has shown that he can also defend. Briscoe is one of the few English three quarter line talents playing at the moment.

Edited by ParisSurtout, 15 July 2010 - 11:10 PM.

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

#25 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:11 PM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Jul 16 2010, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If Briscoe is not on the wing for England then the coach McNamara is a bigger idiot than I have thought.

Tom Briscoe is one of the few English three quarter line talents playing at the moment.

I'd like to see him play at centre more often but I'm sure if he's fit he'll be playing.
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#26 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:31 PM

QUOTE (Odsal Outlaw @ Jul 15 2010, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Spot on. Great tackle, but Fox should have transfered the ball to his right hand and fended with his left. He'd have scored then. Poor play from Fox IMO, he bombed the try. But still a great effort from Briscoe.

That's the theory, but it's not quite as simple as that. If Fox was expecting the tackle to come in, he may have decided to keep the ball in his left so that if his body went out he could keep his arm, and the ball in and try and get the ball down before his body touched the line.

He may have got it wrong, but it's not always as black and white as what you are saying above. With hindsight, I agreed he made the wrong decision, but we shouldn't take anything away from Briscoe, as it was a brilliant tackle.

Like his try in Edinburgh, he has shown he can do things at pace that are pretty good.

#27 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:59 AM

QUOTE (West Country Eagle @ Jul 15 2010, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, absolutely terrific. A real, desperate "ball and all" job.

I'd pay a lot to see Briscoe doing that to an Aussie, with seconds left on the clock, with England leading in the Four Nations final.

Please make it happen!

I'd rather the game be already won with a few seconds on the clock - too many late heartbreakers from the Aussies in the past and unfortunately the likes of Inglis will not be as easy to stop for Briscoe as Fox was.

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#28 Steve Smith

Steve Smith
  • Coach
  • 461 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:30 AM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Jul 15 2010, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
top tackle biggrin.gif
top game cool.gif
top scrap wub.gif
top derby smile.gif

happy days laugh.gif laugh.gif

We don't need two teams in Hull, all teams should be a minimum of 20 miles apart. Expansionism has no place for derbies.

These are the games that really show what RL is about...passion!

#29 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 662 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:24 AM

Did you see the ear to ear grin on his face as he spoke after the game? Thrilled to bits. Awesome bit of effort and skill

#30 Northern Exposure

Northern Exposure
  • Coach
  • 8,506 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:31 AM

KR had butchered it before it even got that wide - the centres inside Fox should've straightened their lines, basic stuff.

Fox should've gone down earlier or at least tried to straighten up to allow mementum to take him forward, not to the sideline.

Briscoe got a lucky break with regards to the fact Fox didnt step, but his confidence had been shot from previous errors.

I think if Briscoe hadn't have made the tackle it'd have been poor. Most wingers worth their salt would've forced Fox in touch.

Ball in wrong hand also though, yeah.
Posted Image

#31 sam

sam
  • Coach
  • 7,557 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE (Northern Exposure @ Jul 16 2010, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
KR had butchered it before it even got that wide

true

foxes or poor people?

#32 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:50 AM

QUOTE (MrPosh @ Jul 15 2010, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So your love life wouldn't be affected?

laugh.gif

I think we can all agree we'd happily sacrifice Gledhill's arms if it meant we could beat the aussies though.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#33 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:08 AM

QUOTE (gingerjon @ Jul 16 2010, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laugh.gif

I think we can all agree we'd happily sacrifice Gledhill's arms if it meant we could beat the aussies though.

I'll see that arm and raise you a left leg.

How many bits of Mick would we be prepared to sacrifice for a series wins over the aussies?

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#34 amh

amh
  • 11,087 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE (Wiltshire Rhino @ Jul 16 2010, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll see that arm and raise you a left leg.

How many bits of Mick would we be prepared to sacrifice for a series wins over the aussies?

Well his glasses can go, one owner, never used

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#35 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,057 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Jul 16 2010, 02:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's the theory, but it's not quite as simple as that. If Fox was expecting the tackle to come in, he may have decided to keep the ball in his left so that if his body went out he could keep his arm, and the ball in and try and get the ball down before his body touched the line.

He may have got it wrong, but it's not always as black and white as what you are saying above. With hindsight, I agreed he made the wrong decision, but we shouldn't take anything away from Briscoe, as it was a brilliant tackle.

Like his try in Edinburgh, he has shown he can do things at pace that are pretty good.

You're spot on there, Dave. The winger makes the decision a few strides earlier - am I going to fend and force my way over or am I going to go for broke at the corner flag - and transfers the ball accordingly.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#36 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:03 AM

QUOTE (tonyXIII @ Jul 16 2010, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're spot on there, Dave. The winger makes the decision a few strides earlier - am I going to fend and force my way over or am I going to go for broke at the corner flag - and transfers the ball accordingly.

Yep, it's all well and good talking about the theory but plenty of plays that go on (and many of the best plays) are not text-book plays. Players make split-second decisons, and I think it is harsh to criticise Fox for this one.

I do agree with NE though that it was poor centre play, as he could have looked to pull the winger in and put Fox in, but I think the circumstances made him flap a touch.

#37 Millman

Millman
  • Banned
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:16 AM

QUOTE (West Country Eagle @ Jul 15 2010, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I might be willing to let go of a needless toe or one of my little fingers. I'd rather keep my arms though. biggrin.gif

What about your gut?

#38 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,057 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE (Millman @ Jul 16 2010, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What about your gut?

I think he "lets his gut go" on the slightest pretext.

Hat - check
Coat - check
Bye for now.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#39 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:48 AM

QUOTE (Northern Exposure @ Jul 16 2010, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
KR had butchered it before it even got that wide - the centres inside Fox should've straightened their lines, basic stuff.

Fox should've gone down earlier or at least tried to straighten up to allow mementum to take him forward, not to the sideline.

Briscoe got a lucky break with regards to the fact Fox didnt step, but his confidence had been shot from previous errors.

I think if Briscoe hadn't have made the tackle it'd have been poor. Most wingers worth their salt would've forced Fox in touch.

Ball in wrong hand also though, yeah.

I thought the mistake was by whoever it was that supplied the final pass to Fox. He should have at least tried to draw the last man to give his winger much more space but he passed it almost as soon as he received it. If he had straightened and took the defender back in then it would have been a simple walk in. Belting tackle though.

#40 Northern Exposure

Northern Exposure
  • Coach
  • 8,506 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 12:04 PM

QUOTE (dkw @ Jul 16 2010, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought the mistake was by whoever it was that supplied the final pass to Fox. He should have at least tried to draw the last man to give his winger much more space but he passed it almost as soon as he received it. If he had straightened and took the defender back in then it would have been a simple walk in. Belting tackle though.

Agreed. KR seeemd too concenred on just shipping the ball out wide as fast as possible rather than doiong it properly and running the correct lines.

Tackle wasnt amazing - but he did pull it off and the last play of the game made Eddie and Steveo bang on about it like they'd witnessed a miracle.

If that'd been done in the middle of the game, it'd have been just another tackle into touch.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users