Photo
- - - - -

Wigan have snared the Melbourne Storm trio. Who can stop Wigan?

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#21 Hannibal

Hannibal
  • Coach
  • 11,790 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:20 AM

QUOTE (dallymessenger @ Jul 18 2010, 04:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i think your coach knows a little bit more about RL than you do.

hes a fine young coach youve gotten

What's that got to do with anything?

I don't want to see any of those players at Wigan, and that's an opinion I am entitled too.

I would be more than happy to see a Wigan squad full of English players, with not an Australian, nor a New Zealander in sight.

Is that so hard for you to grasp Walter?

#22 darrenk

darrenk
  • Players
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:59 AM

Riddell, Feka, Phelps and Bailey are almost ceratin to not be there next season so there are 3 places left on the overseas quota. I would be happy with signing Lima not to sure about Hofman though as we are well stocked up on back row forwards. Depends on the situ with Hock though and moving Mossop to prop would be an option but then we have Tuson and Farrell coming thru !!!

It's more quality in the backline we need defo another half back and hopefully a bigblockbusting centre to....

#23 dallymessenger

dallymessenger
  • Coach
  • 20,928 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE (Hannibal @ Jul 18 2010, 09:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What's that got to do with anything?

I don't want to see any of those players at Wigan, and that's an opinion I am entitled too.

I would be more than happy to see a Wigan squad full of English players, with not an Australian, nor a New Zealander in sight.

Is that so hard for you to grasp Walter?

since you seem to be slow of understanding, ill repeat, your coach, who knows a lot about RL thinks this is a good thing

im guessing you dont want an australian as coach either?

Edited by dallymessenger, 18 July 2010 - 09:57 AM.

#24 Hannibal

Hannibal
  • Coach
  • 11,790 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE (dallymessenger @ Jul 18 2010, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
since you seem to be slow of understanding, ill repeat, your coach, who knows a lot about RL thinks this is a good thing

im guessing you dont want an australian as coach either?

Far from being slow to understand Wally, I think I am showing tremendous patience dealing with your inane ramblings.

Once more for the cheap seats, "I don't want any foreign players in the Wigan team. I don't want an Australian coach, and would much rather have an Englishman"

Now then, which part of that are you having difficulty with?

I don't care of Maguire knows better than me. He is no more entitled to his opinion than I am. Is that clear, or do you want me to write it in crayon for you?

#25 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 11:22 AM

I'm glad all three are coming to Wigan if the press are right.

Lima is a good front rower and he will join Fielden & Coley, Prescott is there and Hock could well return in 2011.
Hoffman is excellent and also a big man 6'4" and around 17 st. Wigan's 2nd row next year could be Hoffman, J Tomkins, Mossop and Hansen. Three of those are 6'4".
The Wigan pack has lacked this size, aggression and skill for years and it is now being put in place.

As for the overseas quota. As has been said Riddell, Feka, Bailey and Phelps will probably go. There have been rumours about Roberts returning to Aus but no one really knows.
If they sign there won't be any trouble with the quotas or salary cap.
BTW Leuluai & Hansen are now considered "home grown" under the new rules.

#26 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,350 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:54 PM

I always think that the key point with signings is whether they give you more than you have. Finch for Deacon, Lima for Feca and Hoffman for Bailey sounds good to me.
Wigan have a pretty strong team this year, top of the league indeed, but we lack a good organising 7 to supplement our Sam, and need some big lads in the pack. This gives us both of those in spades. Plus they know MM's ways. I would be pretty surprised if MM signed a duff player from Melbourne and am even prepared to trust his judgement over pretty much every poster on here, without being harsh.
With so much salary cap freed up the next challenge is to find another strike/utility back and then we're very good to go.
Roberts
Goulding
Gleeson
Carmont
Richards
Sam
Finch
Lima
Mc
Coley
Hoffman
Joel
Lockers...
Not too shabby that with Fielden, Prescott, Mossop, Davies, Hock, Farrell and Tuson as forward cover.
The best time to follow any club is when they are on the rise. Wigan are certainly that. It's 1984 all over again.

#27 Hannibal

Hannibal
  • Coach
  • 11,790 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE (Exiled Wiganer @ Jul 18 2010, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I always think that the key point with signings is whether they give you more than you have. Finch for Deacon, Lima for Feca and Hoffman for Bailey sounds good to me.
Wigan have a pretty strong team this year, top of the league indeed, but we lack a good organising 7 to supplement our Sam, and need some big lads in the pack. This gives us both of those in spades. Plus they know MM's ways. I would be pretty surprised if MM signed a duff player from Melbourne and am even prepared to trust his judgement over pretty much every poster on here, without being harsh.
With so much salary cap freed up the next challenge is to find another strike/utility back and then we're very good to go.
Roberts
Goulding
Gleeson
Carmont
Richards
Sam
Finch
Lima
Mc
Coley
Hoffman
Joel
Lockers...
Not too shabby that with Fielden, Prescott, Mossop, Davies, Hock, Farrell and Tuson as forward cover.
The best time to follow any club is when they are on the rise. Wigan are certainly that. It's 1984 all over again.

Still way too many foreigners in that team.

#28 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE (Father Ted @ Jul 18 2010, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If they sign there won't be any trouble with the quotas or salary cap.
BTW Leuluai & Hansen are now considered "home grown" under the new rules.

I have heard they Hansen name banded about a bit regarding overseas players, and it begs a question to me. Hansen was born in Salford and learnt his trade at Folly Lane. So, my question is; if somebody is eligible to play for another country, and chooses to do so, are they classed as overseas, even if they were born and bred in the UK?

#29 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,179 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:10 PM

QUOTE (zorquif @ Jul 18 2010, 06:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have heard they Hansen name banded about a bit regarding overseas players, and it begs a question to me. Hansen was born in Salford and learnt his trade at Folly Lane. So, my question is; if somebody is eligible to play for another country, and chooses to do so, are they classed as overseas, even if they were born and bred in the UK?

No Hansen will be classed as homegrown

#30 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,072 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE (zorquif @ Jul 18 2010, 06:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Was Hansen born in the UK?
Does he consider himself British as he has played for NZ and Samoa at international level?

#31 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,350 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:22 PM

He also represented England at Academy level, with distinction, so he's done his bit for England.

#32 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE (Exiled Wiganer @ Jul 18 2010, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He also represented England at Academy level, with distinction, so he's done his bit for England.

Agree.

He does class as home grown, but he was born in Auckland.

included in the 2003 England Academy squad to face the Australian Institute of Sport, scoring tries in both matches of England 2-0 Series victory

Edited by 1976PMJwires, 18 July 2010 - 05:28 PM.

#33 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:52 PM

ah sorry, wasn't born and bred, but he must have come over quite young, as he went to school in England.

#34 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:56 PM

QUOTE (zorquif @ Jul 18 2010, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ah sorry, wasn't born and bred, but he must have come over quite young, as he went to school in England.

Correct, I seem to remember issues with Gleeson a few years ago with the rules, can't remember what it was but had something to do with how long gleeson had spent in Aus as a kid.

#35 NEIL FOX IS GOD

NEIL FOX IS GOD
  • Coach
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:22 PM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Jul 17 2010, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Inglis may go to Brisbane. Cam Smith, Cooper Cronk and Billy Slater will stay in Melbourne for sure.

But Wigan have snared Jeff Lima, Ryan Hoffman, and Brett Finch.

http://www.smh.com.a...0717-10f2q.html

I would now appear that Wigan have their 2011 Grand Final appearance chalked in, with a victory almost certain.

WHY
What is the bloody point in franchise was this not supposed to end

Posted Image

#36 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,285 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE (NEIL FOX IS GOD @ Jul 18 2010, 07:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WHY

No. All three are quality players (well, Hoffman is very good - the other two are OK). They should, in theory, enhance the Wigan team and add to our game.

It is the middling and poor Crims that we should be refusing.
People called Romans they go the house

#37 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,350 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:27 PM

With Phelps, Piggy, Bailey and Feca going out, this is exactly what franchising was supposed to do. Reduce numbers and improve quality.

#38 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,349 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE (NEIL FOX IS GOD @ Jul 18 2010, 07:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WHY

No it wasn't supposed to end. Show me anything from the RFL that says that come licensing all imports will end, its never been said even as an aim.

The idea is to reduce quantity and improve quality of imports. Even that has to be a slow process because of all the complications of people who have contracts, people who have eligibility under previous rules and the fact that we have to obey the law of the land.

Anybody who has been under the impression that a change to licensing will suddenly change everything in the game is...

... stopped there to avoid moderation. biggrin.gif

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#39 Lee

Lee
  • Coach
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (Padge @ Jul 18 2010, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The idea is to reduce quantity and improve quality of imports.

Whats gone wrong in this case with these 3 then?

Reducing quantity....Yes

Improving quality.....No

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.
He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.
And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

#40 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE (Lee @ Jul 18 2010, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whats gone wrong in this case with these 3 then?

Reducing quantity....Yes

Improving quality.....No

You are wrong.

Hoffman is a blockbusting forward, who will be scoring a lot of tries for Wigan with bursts from 20 yards out. He will also be cutting down so many Warrington, St Helens, Hull FC and Leeds attackers, that you will be thanking your lucky stars that you have Michael McGuire and Ian Lenagan making player purchase decisions.

Finch is a decent, though not great, half back. He talks a lot on the field, though because of the accent, what he says may not be understood by all of his team mates. Watch out for him giving a spray to some Wigan player who makes a big mistake. Finch does have an excellent field kicking game though. In this regard he will give Wigan another set of kicking options, which is why Bellamy brought him to Melbourne in the first place.

Finch managed three Origins for the Blues, with his debut coming in 2004, and his most famous appearance in 2006 when he was a late call-up. Called-up on the eve of the game, Finch scored a try, set up another two and kicked the winning field goal to give NSW a remarkable 17-16 win.

Edited by ParisSurtout, 18 July 2010 - 08:24 PM.

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users