League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Wigan have snared the Melbourne Storm trio. Who can stop Wigan?

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#41 Lee

Lee
  • Coach
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Jul 18 2010, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You are wrong.

Hoffman is a blockbusting forward, who will be scoring a lot of tries for Wigan with bursts from 20 yards out. He will also be cutting down so many Warrington, St Helens, Hull FC and Leeds attackers, that you will be thanking your lucky stars that you have Michael McGuire and Ian Lenagan making player purchase decisions.

Finch is a decent, though not great, half back. He does have an excellent field kicking game though. Finch will give Wigan another set of kicking options, which is why Bellamy brought him to Melbourne in the first place.

Hoffman is no better than they have

Tompkins is on a par with Finch and will only get better

You forget to mention a waste of a quota spot in Lima?

Wrong am i laugh.gif

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.
He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.
And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

#42 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE (Lee @ Jul 18 2010, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hoffman is no better than they have

Tompkins is on a par with Finch and will only get better

You forget to mention a waste of a quota spot in Lima?

Wrong am i laugh.gif

Yes, you are very wrong.

Reread my previous post...but carefully this time.

Jeff Lima played in the Melbourne Storm grand final victory of 2007 off the bench. He was subsequently picked to represent New Zealand four times. (Remind me of how many Wigan props have represented England?)

Edited by ParisSurtout, 18 July 2010 - 08:27 PM.

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

#43 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,061 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:28 PM

Lee, I am not convinced by your assertions. Everything I have seen and read suggests Hoffman is miles better than what we have aside from Lockers. At the moment we don't have 4 props, so Lima improves us. I assume the Kiwi selectors know a thing or 2. At the moment we don't have a 7 to play alongside Sam (Deacon is retiring). It is hard to argue that they don't improve a demonstrably good side.
Hoffman would get into any team, but you could argue that Lima wouldn't improve Leeds/Warrington that much or that Finch would not improve Saints. They are right for Wigan just now.

#44 Lee

Lee
  • Coach
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:31 PM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Jul 18 2010, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, you are very wrong.

Jeff Lima played in the Melbourne Storm grand final victory of 2007 off the bench. He was subsequently picked to represent New Zealand four times. (Remind me of how many Wigan props have represented England?)

Ok so he was good enough in 2007, what year is it now?

Nothing wrong with my reading

No idea on Wigans internationals, i dont follow em but then again Fielden was a decent prop 3 years ago too

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.
He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.
And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

#45 Lee

Lee
  • Coach
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE (Exiled Wiganer @ Jul 18 2010, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lee, I am not convinced by your assertions. Everything I have seen and read suggests Hoffman is miles better than what we have aside from Lockers. At the moment we don't have 4 props, so Lima improves us. I assume the Kiwi selectors know a thing or 2. At the moment we don't have a 7 to play alongside Sam (Deacon is retiring). It is hard to argue that they don't improve a demonstrably good side.
Hoffman would get into any team, but you could argue that Lima wouldn't improve Leeds/Warrington that much or that Finch would not improve Saints. They are right for Wigan just now.

In your squad of 26/27, you have enough cover without wasting quota spotS on Lima and Hoffman.

You saying Finch will play 7 and Tompkins 6?

#46 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE (Lee @ Jul 18 2010, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok so he was good enough in 2007, what year is it now?

Nothing wrong with my reading

No idea on Wigans internationals, i dont follow em but then again Fielden was a decent prop 3 years ago too

Lima first represented New Zealand in 2007. He was injured in 2008. But he was reselected for Melbourne Storm and New Zealand in 2009. It is now 2010.

Edited by ParisSurtout, 18 July 2010 - 08:43 PM.

_____

#47 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,061 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (Lee @ Jul 18 2010, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In your squad of 26/27, you have enough cover without wasting quota spotS on Lima and Hoffman.

You saying Finch will play 7 and Tompkins 6?

Lee, I don't wish to labour the point, but we need another prop and a 7, especially as Deacon is retiring. We currently have Phelps, Bailey, Pryce, Piggy, Deacon, Bailey and Feca in our top 25, all of whom are leaving, so we have masses of salary cap money and overseas spaces galore. Hoffman is so good he will improve the team, and takes Bailey's place. I still can't see how for Wigan, just now, this is anything less than good business. Plus, MM was coaching these players last year, and so knows them inside out. Given his performance this year in turning easy beats into table toppers, I would argue his judgement is looking pretty sound. If anyone knows what he's buying it's MM.

#48 Lee

Lee
  • Coach
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE (Exiled Wiganer @ Jul 18 2010, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lee, I don't wish to labour the point, but we need another prop and a 7, especially as Deacon is retiring. We currently have Phelps, Bailey, Pryce, Piggy, Deacon, Bailey and Feca in our top 25, all of whom are leaving, so we have masses of salary cap money and overseas spaces galore. Hoffman is so good he will improve the team, and takes Bailey's place. I still can't see how for Wigan, just now, this is anything less than good business. Plus, MM was coaching these players last year, and so knows them inside out. Given his performance this year in turning easy beats into table toppers, I would argue his judgement is looking pretty sound. If anyone knows what he's buying it's MM.

Finch is a 6 wink.gif

Timew will tell

1 50/50 signing, 2 poor ones, id expect Wigan to aim higher

#49 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE (Lee @ Jul 18 2010, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Finch is a 6 wink.gif

Timew will tell

1 50/50 signing, 2 poor ones, id expect Wigan to aim higher

Finch plays 6 for Melbourne now, but for ten years played as 7 for Canberra Raiders and the Sydney Roosters, not to mention NSW State of Origin.

You need to keep up with your rugby league players' histories.

_____

#50 Lee

Lee
  • Coach
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Jul 18 2010, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Finch plays 6 for Melbourne now, but for ten years played as 7 for Canberra Raiders and the Sydney Roosters, not to mention NSW State of Origin.

You need to keep up with your rugby league players' histories.

Im not the one dealing in the past

Lima is an ex Kiwi

Finch is an ex 7

You really are hard work, im done replying to your inane male genitals now, me iggy box is building up nicely now laugh.gif

#51 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (Lee @ Jul 18 2010, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im not the one dealing in the past

Lima is an ex Kiwi

Finch is an ex 7

You really are hard work, im done replying to your inane male genitals now, me iggy box is building up nicely now laugh.gif

No, Lima is not an ex Kiwi. He was, is now, and will remain a Kiwi until he decides otherwise. Meanwhile we can expect him to represent New Zealand Kiwis again in the future.

No Finch is not an ex 7, he is a versatile half who can play 6 or 7. Do you think that his year playing 6 at Melbourne Storm has caused him to forget how to play at 7 -- a position he played for ten years?

Edited by ParisSurtout, 18 July 2010 - 09:20 PM.

_____

#52 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:34 AM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Jul 18 2010, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You really do need to learn that people disagreeing with you, don't necessarily do so because they haven't understood you.
People called Romans they go the house

#53 dallymessenger

dallymessenger
  • Coach
  • 20,928 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:18 AM

QUOTE (Hannibal @ Jul 18 2010, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Far from being slow to understand Wally, I think I am showing tremendous patience dealing with your inane ramblings.

Once more for the cheap seats, "I don't want any foreign players in the Wigan team. I don't want an Australian coach, and would much rather have an Englishman"

Now then, which part of that are you having difficulty with?

I don't care of Maguire knows better than me. He is no more entitled to his opinion than I am. Is that clear, or do you want me to write it in crayon for you?

so youd rather an english coach rather than someone whose gotten wigans best results in 15 years?
laugh.gif

this is why i said leave it to your coach

#54 Hannibal

Hannibal
  • Coach
  • 11,790 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:24 AM

QUOTE (dallymessenger @ Jul 19 2010, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so youd rather an english coach rather than someone whose gotten wigans best results in 15 years?
laugh.gif

this is why i said leave it to your coach

You really are daft sometimes.

I don't care about the results. I am more concerned with my home town club developing its own players and coaching staff.

If the results come with local resources, I will be far more pleased than I would be if they were obtained by a gang of mercenary Australians who couldn't give a sh!te about Wigan.

I know that you lot don't care where your players come from, but I have pride in my locality, a concept which your posts in this thread prove you have no idea about.

#55 Hannibal

Hannibal
  • Coach
  • 11,790 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:29 AM

Confirmed.

http://www.wiganrl.c...?id=5017&type=1

I'm not happy about it to be honest, but let's see the total number of the players released before I get really uptight.

#56 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE (Hannibal @ Jul 19 2010, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You really are daft sometimes.

I don't care about the results. I am more concerned with my home town club developing its own players and coaching staff.

If the results come with local resources, I will be far more pleased than I would be if they were obtained by a gang of mercenary Australians who couldn't give a sh!te about Wigan.

I know that you lot don't care where your players come from, but I have pride in my locality, a concept which your posts in this thread prove you have no idea about.

Agreed...just look at Batley in the NRC - all local lads, English coach, proud as punch - much more of an emotional attachment for all the fans, tears flowed yesterday

Time and time again the Leigh fans ask why oh why couldn't we have all the home grown players at Leigh - it certainly would be a proud day if that ever happened again

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#57 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:32 AM

QUOTE (Hannibal @ Jul 19 2010, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Confirmed.

http://www.wiganrl.c...?id=5017&type=1

I'm not happy about it to be honest, but let's see the total number of the players released before I get really uptight.

I suppose the length of contracts mirrors their potential (in reverse)

ah well - like you say lets see how it goes and what the fallout is

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#58 Northern Exposure

Northern Exposure
  • Coach
  • 8,506 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:16 AM

Who says Wigan don't produce local talent?
Posted Image

#59 Hannibal

Hannibal
  • Coach
  • 11,790 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE (Northern Exposure @ Jul 19 2010, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who says Wigan don't produce local talent?

Your credibility is zero on here mate.

You aren't even making sense any more.

Thanks for your input, now get back to your life-size cardboard cut-out of Andrew Johns, and your bumper box of Kleenex.

#60 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,061 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:29 AM

In NE world the number 3 can be greater than the number 5.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users