Which R.L club has biggest crowds per capita ?

Following on from a discussion about wigan/warrington comparative crowds, populations etc which team would it be overall ? It wouldn't suprise me if it was a team like featherstone, not much bigger than a village but capable of averaging between 1500-2000 when they're doing well. I would imagine cas would be up there although it might be difficult establishing exact figures due to them coming under the wakefield metropolitan area. One things for sure, it's not leeds.

Following on from a discussion about wigan/warrington comparative crowds, populations etc which team would it be overall ? It wouldn't suprise me if it was a team like featherstone, not much bigger than a village but capable of averaging between 1500-2000 when they're doing well. I would imagine cas would be up there although it might be difficult establishing exact figures due to them coming under the wakefield metropolitan area. One things for sure, it's not leeds.

Always thought it was Cas

If you don't like Rugby League, you don't like Rugby

titansnewsword2.jpg

This is always a difficult one, how do you draw a line around a clubs catchment area, especially when you have clubs bordering each other.

If someone looks up Wigan's population the headline figure you normally get is 300,000 but that figure is for Wigan Borouogh which includes Leigh, Billinge (part of ) that borders St.Helens, Golborne and Ashton that border Warrington and St.Helens, with postcodes in both camps.

Where does Harlequinns constituancy stop.

I doubt that you would ever really get a saisfactory answer.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Where does Harlequinns constituancy stop.

Where does it start :lol::lol::lol:

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Always thought it was Cas

Does that include Knottingley and Normanton, assuming Pontefract is sided with Featherstone.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

In that respect can't you count Normanton as Wakefield too?

This is why it gets complicated.

I know people in Atherton who support Wigan and others who support Leigh, who's catchment area is it?

Someone once posted on here (may have been Kenny Tiger) that most people on the terraces at Castleford aren't from Castleford. (sorry Kenny if it wasn't you.)

Edited by Padge

Does that include Knottingley and Normanton, assuming Pontefract is sided with Featherstone.

Fev certainly draws fans from Ferrybridge, Knottingley, even Kellington and Snaith. The group I stand with come from these areas, plus Barnsley. I come from Morley - 12 miles away and I'm not the only one.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Fev certainly draws fans from Ferrybridge, Knottingley, even Kellington and Snaith. The group I stand with come from these areas, plus Barnsley. I come from Morley - 12 miles away and I'm not the only one.

In the Anvil on Friday before Wigan's game the usual suspects from Oxford, Birmingham and Bristol were in attendance, they role up every game.

Does that mean those places are considered part of Wigan.

Whilst your looking for a sound scientific criteria I'll just go for Cas, as with a 39,000 population and hemmed in By Leeds, Wakey and Fev they have done well to have around 6,000 home fans.

Ok I'll raise you Wigan population 80,000 average crowd of 13,500, hemmed in by St.Helens, Warrington and Leigh.

In the Anvil on Friday before Wigan's game the usual suspects from Oxford, Birmingham and Bristol were in attendance, they role up every game.

Does that mean those places are considered part of Wigan.

If there's a Morrisons there and they can get Pooles meat and potato pies then the answer is probably yes :P

Clement Attlee.

If there's a Morrisons there and they can get Pooles meat and potato pies then the answer is probably yes :P

However, the people I stand with at Fev are there every game.

Clement Attlee.

However, the people I stand with at Fev are there every game.

Sorry to disappoint you Geof but these guys go to every game. :rolleyes:

Open Rugby did a list years ago and I think Featherstone was by far the winner. The article recognised the difficulties in drawing the boundaries. I'd dig the article out but it would take me ages to find it - I wish I'd indexed OR as I bought it!

When I looked at this a few years back it tended to show that clubs peaked at about 15% of the local population (if I remember correctly). However even that doesn't strictly fit as there seems to be a case of diminishing returns as the population increases.

The difficulty was defining the local population, some are easier than others, some are dammed near impossible.

I see many coach's and minibuses picking fans up in Knottingley to watch Rovers but you never see one taking them to Cas. Rovers must of set a record having many crowds that are bigger than the population

And what if having worked out a fair way of ascertaining what a catchment area was and working out how each club fared we realised it was a completely useless statistic...

Then you shrug your shoulders and move on to the next useless stat to investigate

Someone once posted on here that most people on the terraces at Castleford aren't from Castleford.

Must be away fans... ;)

Featherstone's record crowd is 17, 300 odd, when the census for the area showed a population around that time of I think 14,500, so historically they have attracted more than the entire population to watch.

The match was v Stains, if you're interested.

Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.

Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)

Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....

And again!!!smith_morley_small.jpg

Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

FC Lezignan?

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

Must be away fans... ;)

Featherstone's record crowd is 17, 300 odd, when the census for the area showed a population around that time of I think 14,500, so historically they have attracted more than the entire population to watch.

The match was v Stains, if you're interested.

1959, when crowds were at their peak. Good chance there was a very large away contingency, this is the sort of thing that makes it difficult to work out.

This is why it gets complicated.

I know people in Atherton who support Wigan and others who support Leigh, who's catchment area is it?

Someone once posted on here (may have been Kenny Tiger) that most people on the terraces at Castleford aren't from Castleford. (sorry Kenny if it wasn't you.)

Not guilty!

However, FYI Hook (Hampshire) is now firmly in the Harlequins catchment area

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Open Rugby did a list years ago and I think Featherstone was by far the winner. The article recognised the difficulties in drawing the boundaries. I'd dig the article out but it would take me ages to find it - I wish I'd indexed OR as I bought it!

I think it was an Open Rugby issue from 1981 or 1982. If I recall correctly, Hull came out poorly as did Sydney. Fulham came out quite well as they used the figures for the LB of Hammersmith and Fulham, not London as a whole.

1959, when crowds were at their peak. Good chance there was a very large away contingency, this is the sort of thing that makes it difficult to work out.

The crowd was actually 17.731 and in the history books they say it was all ticket and Saints sent loads back, remember in the 1950s traveling from Lancashire to Yorkshire wasnt that easy so the away support was minimal. Rovers have topped the population many times