League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Which R.L club has biggest crowds per capita ?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 3owls

3owls
  • Banned
  • 505 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:29 PM

Following on from a discussion about wigan/warrington comparative crowds, populations etc which team would it be overall ? It wouldn't suprise me if it was a team like featherstone, not much bigger than a village but capable of averaging between 1500-2000 when they're doing well. I would imagine cas would be up there although it might be difficult establishing exact figures due to them coming under the wakefield metropolitan area. One things for sure, it's not leeds.

#2 Southern Tiger

Southern Tiger
  • Coach
  • 455 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE (3owls @ Jul 20 2010, 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Following on from a discussion about wigan/warrington comparative crowds, populations etc which team would it be overall ? It wouldn't suprise me if it was a team like featherstone, not much bigger than a village but capable of averaging between 1500-2000 when they're doing well. I would imagine cas would be up there although it might be difficult establishing exact figures due to them coming under the wakefield metropolitan area. One things for sure, it's not leeds.

Always thought it was Cas
If you don't like Rugby League, you don't like Rugby

Posted Image

#3 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,034 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:31 PM

This is always a difficult one, how do you draw a line around a clubs catchment area, especially when you have clubs bordering each other.

If someone looks up Wigan's population the headline figure you normally get is 300,000 but that figure is for Wigan Borouogh which includes Leigh, Billinge (part of ) that borders St.Helens, Golborne and Ashton that border Warrington and St.Helens, with postcodes in both camps.

Where does Harlequinns constituancy stop.

I doubt that you would ever really get a saisfactory answer.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#4 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,054 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:33 PM

QUOTE (Padge @ Jul 20 2010, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where does Harlequinns constituancy stop.

Where does it start laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#5 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,034 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE (Southern Tiger @ Jul 20 2010, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Always thought it was Cas

Does that include Knottingley and Normanton, assuming Pontefract is sided with Featherstone.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#6 Fully

Fully
  • Coach
  • 158 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE (Padge @ Jul 20 2010, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does that include Knottingley and Normanton, assuming Pontefract is sided with Featherstone.

In that respect can't you count Normanton as Wakefield too?

#7 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,034 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE (Fully @ Jul 20 2010, 05:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In that respect can't you count Normanton as Wakefield too?

This is why it gets complicated.

I know people in Atherton who support Wigan and others who support Leigh, who's catchment area is it?

Someone once posted on here (may have been Kenny Tiger) that most people on the terraces at Castleford aren't from Castleford. (sorry Kenny if it wasn't you.)

Edited by Padge, 20 July 2010 - 04:48 PM.

#8 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,054 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:16 PM

Fev certainly draws fans from Ferrybridge, Knottingley, even Kellington and Snaith. The group I stand with come from these areas, plus Barnsley. I come from Morley - 12 miles away and I'm not the only one.

#9 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,034 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:17 PM

QUOTE (Trojan @ Jul 20 2010, 06:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fev certainly draws fans from Ferrybridge, Knottingley, even Kellington and Snaith. The group I stand with come from these areas, plus Barnsley. I come from Morley - 12 miles away and I'm not the only one.

In the Anvil on Friday before Wigan's game the usual suspects from Oxford, Birmingham and Bristol were in attendance, they role up every game.

Does that mean those places are considered part of Wigan.

#10 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,991 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:28 PM

Whilst your looking for a sound scientific criteria I'll just go for Cas, as with a 39,000 population and hemmed in By Leeds, Wakey and Fev they have done well to have around 6,000 home fans.

#11 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,034 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE (The Parksider @ Jul 20 2010, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whilst your looking for a sound scientific criteria I'll just go for Cas, as with a 39,000 population and hemmed in By Leeds, Wakey and Fev they have done well to have around 6,000 home fans.

Ok I'll raise you Wigan population 80,000 average crowd of 13,500, hemmed in by St.Helens, Warrington and Leigh.

#12 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,054 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:38 PM

QUOTE (Padge @ Jul 20 2010, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In the Anvil on Friday before Wigan's game the usual suspects from Oxford, Birmingham and Bristol were in attendance, they role up every game.

Does that mean those places are considered part of Wigan.

If there's a Morrisons there and they can get Pooles meat and potato pies then the answer is probably yes tongue.gif

#13 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,054 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE (Trojan @ Jul 20 2010, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If there's a Morrisons there and they can get Pooles meat and potato pies then the answer is probably yes tongue.gif

However, the people I stand with at Fev are there every game.

#14 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,034 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE (Trojan @ Jul 20 2010, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
However, the people I stand with at Fev are there every game.

Sorry to disappoint you Geof but these guys go to every game. rolleyes.gif

#15 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:53 PM

Open Rugby did a list years ago and I think Featherstone was by far the winner. The article recognised the difficulties in drawing the boundaries. I'd dig the article out but it would take me ages to find it - I wish I'd indexed OR as I bought it!
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#16 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 685 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:06 PM

And what if having worked out a fair way of ascertaining what a catchment area was and working out how each club fared we realised it was a completely useless statistic...

#17 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,034 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE (Methven Hornet @ Jul 20 2010, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Open Rugby did a list years ago and I think Featherstone was by far the winner. The article recognised the difficulties in drawing the boundaries. I'd dig the article out but it would take me ages to find it - I wish I'd indexed OR as I bought it!

When I looked at this a few years back it tended to show that clubs peaked at about 15% of the local population (if I remember correctly). However even that doesn't strictly fit as there seems to be a case of diminishing returns as the population increases.

The difficulty was defining the local population, some are easier than others, some are dammed near impossible.

#18 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:16 PM

I see many coach's and minibuses picking fans up in Knottingley to watch Rovers but you never see one taking them to Cas. Rovers must of set a record having many crowds that are bigger than the population

#19 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,034 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE (Tonka @ Jul 20 2010, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And what if having worked out a fair way of ascertaining what a catchment area was and working out how each club fared we realised it was a completely useless statistic...

Then you shrug your shoulders and move on to the next useless stat to investigate

#20 goldcard

goldcard
  • Coach
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE (Padge @ Jul 20 2010, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Someone once posted on here that most people on the terraces at Castleford aren't from Castleford.

Must be away fans... wink.gif

Featherstone's record crowd is 17, 300 odd, when the census for the area showed a population around that time of I think 14,500, so historically they have attracted more than the entire population to watch.
The match was v Stains, if you're interested.
Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.
Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)
Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....
And again!!!Posted Image
Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users