Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Trouble at Warrington end

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
98 replies to this topic

#41 goldcard

goldcard
  • Coach
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE (bewareshadows @ Aug 30 2010, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd just like to stress the point that I was at the GF when there was trouble and it was Saints fans fighting Saints fans. I've been to many games over the years regular and finals and I'm not sayig Saint fans don't cause fights, but from my experience of what I've seen with my own eyes Saints fans tend to annoy each other much more than the opposition.

A good few years back, I went to a Wires/Skints game at Wilderspool with a couple of workmates, they were from St. Helens.
I was a bit apprehensive, I'd be wearing my Dessie top, and in with the opposing fans.
There was a scuffle, stewards flying in etc, and it was Skint v Skint arguing over Aussie players in the team....
Me?
Stood there laughing at them.
Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.
Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)
Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....
And again!!!Posted Image
Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

#42 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,307 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE (bewareshadows @ Aug 30 2010, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd just like to stress the point that I was at the GF when there was trouble and it was Saints fans fighting Saints fans. I've been to many games over the years regular and finals and I'm not sayig Saint fans don't cause fights, but from my experience of what I've seen with my own eyes Saints fans tend to annoy each other much more than the opposition. You can never please all Saints fans all of the time, even when winning 100-0 or lossing 100-0 Saints idiots can usually fine something to moan about with each other.
To be fair mate, that's not just Saints fans, it's just pretty natural that when you get gangs of lads ###### up, you will get some instances of trouble,whether that is in the pub before or after, unfortunately this was highlighted more as it was during the game. This is why it is not really hooliganism as such, it is cimply feckwits who can't handle their beer, and I don't think it really matters who they support, they will happily brawl with their own fans no problem.

#43 Wendall

Wendall
  • Banned
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 05:04 PM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Aug 30 2010, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To be fair mate, that's not just Saints fans, it's just pretty natural that when you get gangs of lads ###### up, you will get some instances of trouble,whether that is in the pub before or after, unfortunately this was highlighted more as it was during the game. This is why it is not really hooliganism as such, it is cimply feckwits who can't handle their beer, and I don't think it really matters who they support, they will happily brawl with their own fans no problem.

Exactly the stuff we saw at Wembley was not organised in any way, anyone in the know saw it was a case of a few idiot Leeds fans having too much ale, peeved with a stuffing and taking it out on those around them and some idiots from Wazza having enough battling back! Compared to the stuff that went on in the 80's this was tame stuff.

I only hope the RFL and Wembley don't go down the road of banning booze and making fans sit in seperate stands because of a few minor incidents.

#44 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:22 AM

Adrian Morley bigs up the Wire fans in the league express saying best in the game, maybe best in super league but not the game, he obviously wasnt around the pubs and clubs of the town before they played the Rovers, our 1000 strong flat cap made your fans look like an american football college team just like we used to in the 70s, and no Wendall no pubs were trashed

#45 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:37 AM

QUOTE (Wolford6 @ Aug 29 2010, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been going to both Wilderspool and the HJ stadium, standing on the touchline terrace whenever possible. I'm a fairly vociferous spectator, but have never had any problems with the Warrington fans. I think it would be different if I stood behind the sticks, but that's the case for several away grounds.

The most obnoxious fans I've come across in over thirty years of watching were pre-Superleague ... at the Boulevard, Clarence Road and Post Office Road.

NB: I just had to look up the name of the former York ground, having forgotten it was called Clarence Road. Aptly, it was built on land originally leased from the York Lunatic Asylum.
biggrin.gif

was called clarence street ground cool.gif
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#46 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,307 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:08 PM

QUOTE (LOWFIELD @ Aug 31 2010, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Adrian Morley bigs up the Wire fans in the league express saying best in the game, maybe best in super league but not the game, he obviously wasnt around the pubs and clubs of the town before they played the Rovers, our 1000 strong flat cap made your fans look like an american football college team just like we used to in the 70s, and no Wendall no pubs were trashed
Jees Lowfield, you still banging on about this game, just because you lot turned up and had a good away day?

Plenty of teams' fans have a better time when they have a big away game. Please don't take this the wrong way, but it was novel for your fans to have a trip to Warrington, playing in a game with a crowd three or four times your regular crowds, whereas it was a bog-standard home game against a lower division team with a lower crowd than normal for the home fans, so clearly the Warrington fans wouldn't be dancing around in pubs bladdered at midday.

#47 JWAD

JWAD
  • Coach
  • 14,332 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE (Wendall @ Aug 30 2010, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I only hope the RFL and Wembley don't go down the road of banning booze and making fans sit in seperate stands because of a few minor incidents.

They wouldn't do that. A large part of revenue on match day comes from the bars and food stalls.

What could follow however is that no grog permitted to be brought in to the stands. This makes sense and works.

#48 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:40 PM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Aug 31 2010, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jees Lowfield, you still banging on about this game, just because you lot turned up and had a good away day?

Plenty of teams' fans have a better time when they have a big away game. Please don't take this the wrong way, but it was novel for your fans to have a trip to Warrington, playing in a game with a crowd three or four times your regular crowds, whereas it was a bog-standard home game against a lower division team with a lower crowd than normal for the home fans, so clearly the Warrington fans wouldn't be dancing around in pubs bladdered at midday.

Banging on about it same as he does about wires, a 1st round game away to Warrington isnt novel to us dont forget many of us have seen Rovers actually win the thing and more than once

#49 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,901 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:42 PM

I'm not sure why or how but I didn't see any of this fighting at all so not sure it could have been that big an episode
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#50 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE (LOWFIELD @ Aug 31 2010, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Banging on about it same as he does about wires, a 1st round game away to Warrington isnt novel to us dont forget many of us have seen Rovers actually win the thing and more than once

Well done. Made up for you, now move on (please)

Glad you have seen rovers win the CC, guess you must be an old bean wink.gif
last won 83 and before that 73.

#51 goldcard

goldcard
  • Coach
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE (Kenilworth Tiger @ Aug 31 2010, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not sure why or how but I didn't see any of this fighting at all so not sure it could have been that big an episode

It wasn't really, half a dozen max involved in a scuffle if anything, then there were folks standing keeping clear, or making way for stewards.
Hardly a riot, or major outbreak of violence, just a drink fuelled minor scuffle, actually dealt with in a minute or 2, though it took a bit longer for those near to re-take seats etc.
Pity it happened, maybe keeping drink away from pitchside would work, though that could lead to tensions in a drunken crowded bar at half time etc.
Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.
Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)
And again!!!Posted Image

#52 Jerry the Berry

Jerry the Berry
  • Coach
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 01:01 PM

QUOTE (goldcard @ Aug 31 2010, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It wasn't really, half a dozen max involved in a scuffle if anything, then there were folks standing keeping clear, or making way for stewards.
Hardly a riot, or major outbreak of violence, just a drink fuelled minor scuffle, actually dealt with in a minute or 2, though it took a bit longer for those near to re-take seats etc.
Pity it happened, maybe keeping drink away from pitchside would work, though that could lead to tensions in a drunken crowded bar at half time etc.

I think it might have looked worse where I was sat looking down onto events. Certainly from reports from the likes of yourself and the punt who seemed to be nearer suggest so. I just saw three phases of it all, the initial flying fists between some fans, to the fighting with stewards when they intervened ending up with the far more visual aspect of large areas of seats emptying as fans moved away from the area and the stewards got on top of the situation.

Sadly one other thing I witnessed which I never thought I would at a game of Rugby League were two supporters being moved by stewards to other seating areas - both of whom were carrying visibly upset small children. It's the likes of these spectators that Rugby League can't afford to alienate.

#53 Scolly

Scolly
  • Players
  • 60 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 01:05 PM

..... so did anyone see the fight in the top tier of Warrington fans behind the sticks just after the one below.

Looked like two warrington females fans going at each other until one partner joined in and he in turn to attacked by a dozen.

#54 joefromcas

joefromcas
  • Players
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 01:08 PM

QUOTE (Bedford Roughyed @ Aug 28 2010, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Big fight in Warrington end. Looked like there was a block of Leeds fans in there. Lots of punches thrown and fans fighting stewards.

Sad to say some corporate types sat near us left in disgust.

We took a group from school to play in the finals. The parents were in the section were the trouble started they said it was caused by the Leeds fans. The parents and grandparents had up to then had a brilliant weekend at the schools final and at the match. These yobs totally spoiled it from what we got told they were Leeds UTD fans not Leeds rugby fans..

#55 goldcard

goldcard
  • Coach
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE (Jerry the Berry @ Aug 31 2010, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it might have looked worse where I was sat looking down onto events. Certainly from reports from the likes of yourself and the punt who seemed to be nearer suggest so. I just saw three phases of it all, the initial flying fists between some fans, to the fighting with stewards when they intervened ending up with the far more visual aspect of large areas of seats emptying as fans moved away from the area and the stewards got on top of the situation.

Sadly one other thing I witnessed which I never thought I would at a game of Rugby League were two supporters being moved by stewards to other seating areas - both of whom were carrying visibly upset small children. It's the likes of these spectators that Rugby League can't afford to alienate.

I was sitting behind the punt, I got in with his spare tickets, tbh.
I might have missed some of the start due to watching a rugby match, which was what I paid to do.
It looked worse because of folks moving away, pushing folks to keep them away.
Yes, there were a few phases, but not involving a great many actual participants.
Didn't see the sad sight you also reported, and scolly, no, didn't see that either, due to watching the match.
And again!!!Posted Image

#56 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,307 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE (LOWFIELD @ Aug 31 2010, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not sure who you mean by 'he' - do you mean Morley or Wendall? If it's the latter then I'll let you off! wink.gif

A first round game at Warrington is pretty novel to be fair, it hasn't happened for a long time, and fair play, your fans looked like they had a good time, but then so do fans of all clubs when they have an away day, especially when it is a game that is slightly out of the ordinary.

Not really sure why you had to turn it into a fan comp really, and as for your last line, I would expect all of our fans have seen us win the thing at least twice now bearing in mind we have won it two years running.

#57 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE (joefromcas @ Aug 31 2010, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We took a group from school to play in the finals. The parents were in the section were the trouble started they said it was caused by the Leeds fans. The parents and grandparents had up to then had a brilliant weekend at the schools final and at the match. These yobs totally spoiled it from what we got told they were Leeds UTD fans not Leeds rugby fans..

If they were Utd fans they had gone out and bought Rhinos shirts...

It kicked off, stewards took a couple out, kicked off again with stewards, then kicked off again with a group (2-3 each side) standing toe to toe throwing punches. It ended when a row of stewards were positioned down the stairwell. It was enough to cause withering comments from the club wembley seat holders sat behind us, so much so that i doubt their seats will be used next year.
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#58 Herbert Splatt

Herbert Splatt
  • Coach
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 02:09 PM

IMO increasingly over the last few years the crowds are slowly getting spoilt by alcohol fuelled idiots. Its happening week by week at the grounds, and more so at the GF and CCF. I've seen increasing numbers of incidents at grounds and being reported on forums over the last few years, and its about time we call time on these anti-social folk who are deterring others from attending and watching good rugby league on the pitch.

I was sat by a right idiot who had 8 pints, during the half hour before the match until ten minutes into the second half. He was all over the place and made it uncomfortable for others who had paid a lot of money for their tickets.

There is no reason for alcohol to be consumed in view of the pitch, especially if the net result is people having pint after pint, and ending up spoiling the situation for others. This chap next to me had no idea what was happening in the second half! The alternative is to say that from kick off onwards, no ale at all is available.

I think we need definitely need to protect the reputation of our sport. Its ok some people saying its just the few, but its becoming more and more prevalent. How much longer do you leave it before a really big incident happens?

#59 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,307 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE (Herbert Splatt @ Aug 31 2010, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IMO increasingly over the last few years the crowds are slowly getting spoilt by alcohol fuelled idiots. Its happening week by week at the grounds, and more so at the GF and CCF. I've seen increasing numbers of incidents at grounds and being reported on forums over the last few years, and its about time we call time on these anti-social folk who are deterring others from attending and watching good rugby league on the pitch.

I was sat by a right idiot who had 8 pints, during the half hour before the match until ten minutes into the second half. He was all over the place and made it uncomfortable for others who had paid a lot of money for their tickets.

There is no reason for alcohol to be consumed in view of the pitch, especially if the net result is people having pint after pint, and ending up spoiling the situation for others. This chap next to me had no idea what was happening in the second half! The alternative is to say that from kick off onwards, no ale at all is available.

I think we need definitely need to protect the reputation of our sport. Its ok some people saying its just the few, but its becoming more and more prevalent. How much longer do you leave it before a really big incident happens?
Good post.

I must admit to being a touch worried the other day when it looked like it could kick off and become worse than it did. It is pretty rare to see full on brawls in a crowd, as often it is just pushing and shoving and stewards step in and stop it, but this one could have got worse.

Last year I had drunk quite a bit, however am never aggressive or ruin other people's experience, unfortunately plenty of others can't say the same. This year I had about three pints prior to the game, and one in the stadium, and I must admit I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than last year, and appreciated the actual game more.

A member of our group had about 8 pints in the game, and was a pain in the ###### tbh. Whilst I enjoy a pint during the match, I would rather see a ban during the match if that means fewer incidents.

#60 JWAD

JWAD
  • Coach
  • 14,332 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 02:29 PM

Just stop them drinking during the game at least. If a Challenge Cup final at Wembley gets in the way of going out on the sauce, then they should give their ticket to somebody else who actually appreciates what is being played in front of them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users