Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Trains to Old Trafford

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 faz'_nose

faz'_nose
  • Coach
  • 326 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:47 AM

I've travelled in the car on previous trips to Old Trafford.

This time, I thought that the train might prove to be a better option. Presumably the train to Old Trafford only runs on match days? (The national rail website isn't proving too helpful at the moment.)

Has anyone used the train to OT on Grand Final day?

#2 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:52 AM

I always just get the tram from st peter's square.

#3 faz'_nose

faz'_nose
  • Coach
  • 326 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:07 AM

Ok, cheers mate. I typed in St Peter's Square and as a result I've found a map. It looks very straight forward now.

Cheers

#4 drelly

drelly
  • Coach
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:05 AM

is it possible to get a tram to O.T. ll the way across manchester from the east side ,say Oldham etc.

#5 Lee

Lee
  • Coach
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:06 AM

If you got 3 or 4 of you, get a cab up

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.
He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.
And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

#6 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:10 AM

or walk the length of Deansgate from Wetherspoons, with Hogweed, BD92 searching for a cab, only to get in three separate ones and end up at three different pubs

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#7 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,434 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:16 AM

Here's some advice for car drivers:

Parking space near the ground is limited and and expensive. There are huge traffic queues to get out after the game.

A good solution:

Drive to Sale, park by the train station for nothing and buy a return ticket to Old Trafford. Costs about 3 or less and drops you off next to the ground. After the game, your return train runs every 20 minutes or so and is going in the opposite direction to most of the fans ... therefore there is minimum delay in returning to your car.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#8 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:21 AM

QUOTE (Wolford6 @ Sep 26 2010, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A good solution:

Drive to Sale, park by the train station for nothing and buy a return ticket to Old Trafford. Costs about 3 or less and drops you off next to the ground. After the game, your return train runs every 20 minutes or so and is going in the opposite direction to most of the fans ... therefore there is minimum delay in returning to your car.

Just for clarity, is that a train or a tram link Wolford6?

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#9 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,207 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 11:05 AM

I'll drive to Besses o' th' Barn at Jct 17 on the M60. Park there and get the tram - but then I'll be travelling from Yorkshire. If it wasn't for the fact that I promised a mate who a. lives in Barnsley and b. is a Wire fan who bought tickets last month convinced that Wire would be there - I wouldn't bother ph34r.gif
I just hope it's a good game. The last time I went to Saintw Wigan in 2000 (?) it was quite an exciting game. Robinson's last for the Pies.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#10 High Peak Rhino

High Peak Rhino
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:06 PM

The last three years there has been the train from Piccadilly station direct to the ground (station at the back of the South Stand). Times should appear some time this week. Its a much better option than cramming onto the tram.

#11 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,434 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE (amh @ Sep 26 2010, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just for clarity, is that a train or a tram link Wolford6?

I think its a tram, but there's only one station at Sale so you can't slip up. You buy your ticket from a machine so there's no queue to delay getting on.

#12 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,434 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 02:33 PM

One thing I should have added:

When travelling to and from Sale go the long way (via Stockport) round the M60 motorway ringroad. That way you avoid the congestion hotspots at the consecutive junctions for the Trafford Centre and Old Trafford.

#13 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE (High Peak Rhino @ Sep 26 2010, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The last three years there has been the train from Piccadilly station direct to the ground (station at the back of the South Stand). Times should appear some time this week. Its a much better option than cramming onto the tram.

Yup. I'm alway surprised how few RL fans use the train to the ground.
There's no dignity in plastic seats

#14 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE (drelly @ Sep 26 2010, 11:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
is it possible to get a tram to O.T. ll the way across manchester from the east side ,say Oldham etc.

Last year we travelled by car to a tram station (free parking) and then onwards by tram to O.T. No problem whatsoever.

#15 scotthouston2008

scotthouston2008
  • Coach
  • 563 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:03 AM

me and a few of my mates have a game at haresfinch on saturday, then are going to the game. how long roughly from there too trafford? (we're in the trafford travel lodge) thanks!

#16 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 975 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE (High Peak Rhino @ Sep 26 2010, 01:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any idea what service there is from the Man United train station into Manchester after the game? The tram was a proper squeeze afterwards last year, not particularly comfortable and not something I think I want to subject my 70 yr old man too. Well for sure he wouldn't thank me.

#17 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:37 AM

QUOTE (Wolford6 @ Sep 26 2010, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Travelling from Hull we usually stop overnight at a hotel in Sale. We use Sale for that exact reason. I've done it travelling back into the city centre on the tram and it's chaotic at times as people's patience wears a bit thin when trams pulling up at the OT stop are virtually full and next to no one can get on. Health and safety would have a field day.

rldfsignature.jpg

#18 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:38 AM

QUOTE (ArmchairRhino @ Sep 26 2010, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yup. I'm alway surprised how few RL fans use the train to the ground.

Are there usually plenty of seats available after the game? This could be an option for next year.

rldfsignature.jpg

#19 Bazz

Bazz
  • Coach
  • 285 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 01:38 PM

We always catch a bus from Portland Street or Piccadilly to Old Trafford.There are three or more services go past Old Trafford.It's incredible how empty the buses are.

After the match we always walk to the Crescent and New Oxford pubs in Salford.

Both ways it is better than being crushed on the tram.

#20 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:28 PM

There is also free parking on the eccles tram line. It can be found at Ladywell and is a short walk across the red bridge from the tram stop. The Eccles tram is also cheaper.