Steve Lingard - Passed Away

Therein73

I remember him. Didn’t we si

22 minutes ago, Therein73 said:

Sad to see on Fev Rovers forum that ex-Dewsbury player Steve Lingard has passed away.............. Remember him, I think, from the mid-70's and might have been the replacement for Alan Agar at stand off................ R.I.P.   sir

I remember him,didn’t we sign him around the same time as Steve Bruyne(pardon the spelling)and Ben Fowler?Isn’t he also the father of Craig Lingard ex Batley and current keighley coach?

1 hour ago, graham fisher said:

I remember him. Didn’t we si

I remember him,didn’t we sign him around the same time as Steve Bruyne(pardon the spelling)and Ben Fowler?Isn’t he also the father of Craig Lingard ex Batley and current keighley coach?

I think the player you are thinking of is Terry Biscombe.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I think the player you are thinking of is Terry Biscombe.

I think we signed FIVE from Cas with money from the sale of Mick Stephenson and they were:

Terry Biscombe

Steve Brunyee 

Ben Fowler

and two others I invite anyone to name as I cannot recall their names. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

11 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

I think we signed FIVE from Cas with money from the sale of Mick Stephenson and they were:

Terry Biscombe

Steve Brunyee 

Ben Fowler

and two others I invite anyone to name as I cannot recall their names. 

Unless my memory has gone, (and it could well have) I think there were just those three from Cas - All panic buys, all hugely overpriced, and all largely useless. Biscombe broke his leg in his first game, and never played again. It was the start of the slippery slope as far as I was concerned.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

15 hours ago, Therein73 said:

Sad to see on Fev Rovers forum that ex-Dewsbury player Steve Lingard has passed away.............. Remember him, I think, from the mid-70's and might have been the replacement for Alan Agar at stand off................ R.I.P.   sir

Or was it as a replacement for Nigel Stephenson when he was transferred to Bradford? November 1978 I think? I think Steve's transfer fee was something around £6,000? A fair sum in those days.

40 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

Or was it as a replacement for Nigel Stephenson when he was transferred to Bradford? November 1978 I think? I think Steve's transfer fee was something around £6,000? A fair sum in those days.

No, that was Jack Austin and Johnny Wolford.

The three mentioned earlier joined from Cas in bout '75 whilst Lingard, Billy Pickup and John Hegarty were also recruited slightly earlier, utilising some of the Stevo cash. I believe that was also the time when we signed John Rangeley from Batley for a hefty fee, from which we saw hardly any return

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

23 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

No, that was Jack Austin and Johnny Wolford.

The three mentioned earlier joined from Cas in bout '75 whilst Lingard, Billy Pickup and John Hegarty were also recruited slightly earlier, utilising some of the Stevo cash. I believe that was also the time when we signed John Rangeley from Batley for a hefty fee, from which we saw hardly any return

Thanks for that BSJ, its brought it all back now and kicked my memory into sync. I can remember Nigel Stevo going to Bradford because my brother Ian Slater & Graham Joyce moved to Leeds shortly after Jeff Grayson moved from Crown Flat to Odsal, then the Stevo move came shortly after. And as you say Jonny Wolford moved the other way as his creative replacement, with Jack Austin thrown in. Would have been a great bit of business if they'd been a bit younger.

Steve Lingard was three years ahead of me at Sharlston junior school and I can remember him organising playtime touch and pass games between the Fev and Wakey fans. No wonder he later became chairman at Featherstone, which in a small way made up for him never playing for the Rovers. RIP Steve. 

Archived