England fixtures 2018-2020

so what would you propose?

id go with

2018 - ENGLAND v NZ test series,england are down under the year before for the world cup and the aussies want a year off,leaving a baskerville series as the only logical option

2019 - NZ v OZ test series , ENGLAND,WALES,SCOTLAND & IRELAND  4NATIONS

2020 - 4NATIONS in england to celebrate 125 years of RL in england - AUSTRALIA,NZ,ENGLAND & COMBINED CELTS TEAM.. 

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

You've kinda left the French put of all plans there!

I'd like to see us play more of the Pacific Islands whilst we're down there. We can't keep abandoning them. Would be a great chance for a tournament minus the Aussies.

I also don't see the point of not trying to get fixtures vs Aus on one of their few "playing years". Can i just say how ridiculous it is that they can just have a year off every (now) three years! All top tier nations should at least have to commit to minimum number of games a year.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

im not french, im only concerned about england,hence the title of the thread

how can we play more games against the pacific islands whilst we're down there?? we'll be there for the world cup,its not upto us who we play

OLDHAM RLFC

why wouldn't they have heritage players? its not against the rules

I was anticipating the millions of annoyed posta we'd see here...

But you're right (although I think Ireland and Scots can't afford paying for their Australia based players trip without a WC/big tournament in place. I am talking about a money issue)

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

I was anticipating the millions of annoyed posta we'd see here...

But you're right (although I think Ireland and Scots can't afford paying for their Australia based players trip without a WC/big tournament in place. I am talking about a money issue)

they can pay their own way here....some of the lesser know players might need help flying here but the big names..no way

lochlan coote earns $500,000 a year!

OLDHAM RLFC

they can pay their own way here....some of the lesser know players might need help flying here but the big names..no way

lochlan coote earns $500,000 a year!

Yes, but we're talking about flying from down under to play in fronte of ... What? 1,000 people?

and with that attitude it'll always be in front of a thousand..

Just trying to be realistic.

The comparison to Int RU or top 3 Int RL in terms of stages, stadiums, crowds and events is embarassing, so I'm not sure, from an economic point of view, Ireland and Scots would manager to pick a squad who could give England a game.

so scotland should'nt have the chance  to build on what they've done?

Of course they should.

But I am dubious they'd be able to field their best and most professional squad every Int season. 

They need to play International fixtures with homegrown too, in addiction. 

Given we're talking about giving England some kind of Int games that could be useful to make their players gel before taking on the Aussies and the Kiwis, I expressed my doubts about Ireland and Scotland. Given the difficulties (money especially) in making Australian based player come to Europe every offseason. 

If I was a Scottish, I'd organize fixtures with homegrown and (British) heritage players together in non big tournaments/WC year, to give the youngsters experience and mind the gap between local players and their best test side.

Back on England schedule, imho the most realistic and useful way to have somehow a calendar even when the big 2 can't fly is to tour PNG/Australia/Pacific Islands/NZ, or to involve France and Wales, who could field a squad of pro player every year.

A test series between Welsh and French and then who wins plays England could be an idea... 

We just have to work towards more tests or what is the point?

2017 Samoa (N, Sydney May), France (H Oct), 2017 World Cup (Nov/Dec)

2018 NZ (A May), Fra (A Oct), Wal (A Oct), NZ (H Oct/Nov) 3-Test Series

2019 NZ (A May), Fra (A Oct), Wal (H Oct), Australia (H Nov) Ashes 3-Test

2020 NZ (H May), Fra (H Oct), PNG (A Oct), 4 Nations - Australia (Aus, NZ, Eng plus Pacific) Oct/Nov

2021 NZ (A May), Wal (H Oct), Fra (A Oct), World Cup

2020 NZ (H May), Fra (H Oct), PNG (A Oct), 4 Nations - Australia (Aus, NZ, Eng plus Pacific) Oct/Nov

Nowt wrong with it...if it wasn't our 125th birthday in 2020

We have to do something at home whether its a england series v oz with 3 midweek tests v wales,scotland & ireland...or a fancy 4 nations..

Longlive the celtic tigers lol...you all know i was giggling when i typed "combined celts"...i was like.." i'll hook a few here" lol

OLDHAM RLFC

Nowt wrong with it...if it wasn't our 125th birthday in 2020

We have to do something at home whether its a england series v oz with 3 midweek tests v wales,scotland & ireland...or a fancy 4 nations..

Longlive the celtic tigers lol...you all know i was giggling when i typed "combined celts"...i was like.." i'll hook a few here" lol

No we don't. We can book Wembley stadium for May 2020. Invite NZ over during the Origin break weekend. Put on a festival of RL 125th Anniversary Event.

Put tickets on sale 2-years in advance.

Play a women's international as a curtain raiser

Play an academy international as a curtain raiser to the women's game

Put on a parade of great players (still alive)

Put on a parade of clubs (alive and dead)

Book Elton John or some other big name to perform pre-match

England v NZ Test headline match

We could fill Wembley for this occasion if it was marketed correctly. Our season is now summer not autumn. Job done!

Then off to Aus/NZ for the 4N in Oct/Nov

I'd agree with the above but would add a test against either Scotland or France at the start of each season in Feb. (That may make the south of France more appealing for some reason)

No we don't. We can book Wembley stadium for May 2020. Invite NZ over during the Origin break weekend. Put on a festival of RL 125th Anniversary Event.

Put tickets on sale 2-years in advance.

Play a women's international as a curtain raiser

Play an academy international as a curtain raiser to the women's game

Put on a parade of great players (still alive)

Put on a parade of clubs (alive and dead)

Book Elton John or some other big name to perform pre-match

England v NZ Test headline match

We could fill Wembley for this occasion if it was marketed correctly. Our season is now summer not autumn. Job done!

Then off to Aus/NZ for the 4N in Oct/Nov

Interestingly the 2020 Challenge Cup final - if it is still played on summer bank holiday weekend - will be played on 29 August - the exact 125th anniversary of the split.

The RFL should at the very least put a show on much as you suggest and guarantee a sellout.

Archived