Stick Together

Dave Naylor

Today was the 15th league game of the season, our half way point as far as the league is concerned.  In the first half, we would have hoped to take points off Whitehaven, Workington and Swinton away and then Swinton again in the Summer Bash.  I think we'd have happily accepted a 50% return from those games, 4 points.  We didn't achieve any of that and it sucks.  

We raised our game and beat Dewsbury, Batley, Sheffield and Featherstone at home.  Before the season started, I think again we'd have gleefully taken a 50% return.  

If you accept that thinking we're actually on target with the remaining league games plus Championship Shield games to come.

Today ended up feeling hollow but we would not have earmarked the game as a potential win.  I don't feel half as bad about that result as I did last Sunday.

There are eight games left to put ourselves in an in-touch position for the Championship Shield.  Workington, Whitehaven and Swinton at home are massive need to win games.   Bradford twice plus London away,  anything at all from those games would be a massive bonus.  Dewsbury and Sheffield away, who knows.

I think we'll enter the split league period still in touch with injured players coming back into the reckoning.  If we're going to survive we need everyone: fans, players, coaching staff and chairman all pulling in the same direction.  We can do this, maybe by the skin of our teeth but realistically, did we expect anything less.

I watched the recent State of Origin Game.  A pre-match pundit quoted one of the players and he said something like "Don't let yourselves down, don't let your mates down, don't let the team down, don't let the club down, don't let the fans down".  

Let's be as one. One club, one purpose on the field and off it.  Play for the badge, support the badge, let's all be Roughyeds.  Sapere Aude.  

Great post Dave! The aim of this season was to avoid relegation. The players for whatever reason seem to be struggling at the moment. I'm sure when a lack of confidence hits, it's support not continuing criticism that will assist them. This season was always going to be a struggle. Previous promoted clubs will no doubt agree it's tough going in the championship! We can do it!

I was disappointed yesterday as the players looked flat, especially in the second half when I hoped they would come charging down the hill.

However, we did actually create quite a few scoring opportunities and if we had taken them and controlled the ball better we would have come a lot closer.

If Palfrey had executed the kick to the wing in first half after his break,

If we had executed last tackle play better just before half time rather than kick straight to Reittie who went length of field to score,

If Hughes had not had ball knocked outod his grasp as he went over line - brilliant defensive tackle,

If Burke had taken Ropers pass as he headed through a gap towards the line.

It's not all doom and gloom .

There was a point in the first half where Batley were looking laboured.The Rettie try gave them a lift and took us down.We can survive but we have to cut out giving away silly penalties and inviting the double sets onto ourselves. The kicking was by and large better than against Swinton but if you are knackered from constant defence the chase falls away.Also we need to work on getting hands free in the tackle and offloading.

Lads don't be too down hearted I thought you played some good fast open rugby just like you did against us at the Bower.

At one point about half way into the second half both teams really opened up and threw the ball about with abandon it was good to see.

Cheers Roger(Batley fan).

Archived