The Photography Thread

That's what I said, except I did point out it was 'middley'

It looks like if you get the basics right, exposure, wight balance etc. then you go through for an award. You are then judged on the composition of the photograph, which was the main ai.

They were looking for front to back maximum depth of field (using the hyper-focal point), rule of thirds, leading lines etc. I presume the more of these you then met decided if you got gold, silver or bronze.

I know that's what you said. :P I also knew it myself :D I'd agree that seems to be the basic scoring criteria, looking at some of the handful of "fails" makes me wonder why people bothered though!

The point I was making was that I would have expected a little more than that, especially as that was word for word the same on every one of the 6 or 7 other silver and bronze rated shots I looked at.

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

I know that's what you said. :P I also knew it myself :D I'd agree that seems to be the basic scoring criteria, looking at some of the handful of "fails" makes me wonder why people bothered though!

The point I was making was that I would have expected a little more than that, especially as that was word for word the same on every one of the 6 or 7 other silver and bronze rated shots I looked at.

I have seen other comments such as:

Image isn't sharp enough

Image is underexposed

Horizon is very wonky!
Edited by Padge

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I have seen other comments such as:

Image isn't sharp enough

Image is underexposed

Do they have those stickers that Boots used to put on?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1.  Ah but when does post production editing become digital art, when has the photograph(s) been edited so much it can no longer be considered a photograph but becomes a creation of the mind and not of the camera.

2. So come on then what did you get?

An  EOS 650D. I previously had a canon so the lens I have will be able to be used with the new camera. Just need to improve my photos 

bit of shake on those, I don't just mean the figures in motion, shame. Sharper backgrounds would have made um crackers.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

bit of shake on those, I don't just mean the figures in motion, shame. Sharper backgrounds would have made um crackers.

I did think that would be a response. Personally, I'm easy with a bit of shake especially when with (for e.g.) the 'on the corner' shot it's a way of getting across just how frantic everyone seemed to be. Possibly it works less well for the Oxfam shot. Looking at the latter again I may be tempted to go back in and crank up the brightness and contrast.

I have plenty with sharp backgrounds and blurred figures. Sometimes I think that works better, sometimes not. This time, I'm happy with what's above. I suspect yours and gazza's photography course might have serious comments though.

Tis all subjective in the end, after all.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I did think that would be a response. Personally, I'm easy with a bit of shake especially when with (for e.g.) the 'on the corner' shot it's a way of getting across just how frantic everyone seemed to be. Possibly it works less well for the Oxfam shot. Looking at the latter again I may be tempted to go back in and crank up the brightness and contrast.

I have plenty with sharp backgrounds and blurred figures. Sometimes I think that works better, sometimes not. This time, I'm happy with what's above. I suspect yours and gazza's photography course might have serious comments though.

Tis all subjective in the end, after all.

I always say that if the result is what YOU intended then the photo is right.

But when you post any photo in a place like this then it will get criticised on its content and not your intentions.

Advertisers have used blurred images quite often to put across the 'busy' feeling that you talk about,

But when you post any photo in a place like this then it will get criticised on its content and not your intentions.

Absolutely. Which is why I put them up. If I sounded defensive, I didn't mean to.

Absolutely. Which is why I put them up. If I sounded defensive, I didn't mean to.

You did sound defensive, I would be the same. There is always that 'ah but' moment where you realise that something you presented isn't quite coming across as you intended.

A couple more of the bluebells, taken last night whilst out for a wonder with the wife & the in-laws dogs. All taken handheld, so not as sharp as some of my others, but it did give me more of an opportunity to wonder around and experiment with camera settings.

8915179849_c843a97956_z.jpg
Hardcastle Crags_0312 by 77gazza, on Flickr

8915257119_22eb3c15fc_z.jpg
Hardcastle Crags_0309 by 77gazza, on Flickr

8915951262_3e7e0755c8_z.jpg
Hardcastle Crags_0307 by 77gazza, on Flickr

Please view my photos.

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

P1040818_zpsa882595f.jpg

is there anything more beautiful than an english summers day

Edited by my missus

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

Help please! I've uploaded the photos from my phone to Flickr. Can I use their android app to upload them to here? And can this be done on the mobile version of this site? I've been looking but none of this is immediately obvious...(awaits immediate obviousness)

Help please! I've uploaded the photos from my phone to Flickr. Can I use their android app to upload them to here? And can this be done on the mobile version of this site? I've been looking but none of this is immediately obvious...(awaits immediate obviousness)

I don't think you can use the android flickr site to post to here, but if you can access the website then copy and paste the relevant info, it should work to post them on the mobile version of this site. HTH.

Please view my photos.

Book now via airbnb

Shamelessly copied from a post a few months ago....

Click on the image you want to download and above it will be a "share" button

Click on the arrow next to that to expand the view

Click on "Grab the HTML/BCC code" link and ensure the BBC code radio button is selected.

then just copy and past the code in the box above

It might be slightly different now with the latest version of flickr, but the concept is still the same. I can't access the full site whilst at work to check though.

Please view my photos.

Book now via airbnb