The Photography Thread

What's the opinion on a flash?

:O

I ain't got one other than the pop-up one my camera has - which means I only ever use it when I really, really have to. I keep thinking I should get one but then I end up spending money on doughnuts or books or somesuch.

Anyway, here's another flash-less picture. Taken handheld at 1/15, ISO 400 on my walk home last night. It's not come out as well as I'd hoped but it was bloody cold for standing around and I didn't want to be done for snapping firemen either as a deviant or a potential terrorist.

3093924864_b05ca0899f.jpg

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Everyone else just gets their cameras out for a good polish and forgets to take photies hmmmm? :dry:

Anyway some from walkabouts in the last couple of days:

Frozen food installation after dark, South Bank, London

3098966788_f7763ef099.jpg

'allo, 'allo, 'allo - Parliament Square from the 211 bus

3098965302_44f536b2c5.jpg

Back to some proper black n white - same ice wall as above but from a distance earlier in the day

3099034474_7658c8c4d3.jpg

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

We're not all weirdos like you.

But I'll stick a few up.

No footy in summer so a bit of a generic shot of some of the lads at training.

061208GRA10.jpg

Okay this one isn't recent. It's from the local grand final in September. It's the moment where the ref blows full time and the home team wins 8-6 in one of the best local grand finals I've seen.

Celebrations.jpg

Cricket in the rain. Lovely.

190108GR04.jpg

I've shown this one before I think but I just saw it in my footy folder and I really love it so I'm gonna show it off again. I call it "don't argue"

Shoulder.jpg

Apparently the Nikon S60 can detect up to 12 faces. Proof:

nikon-1.jpg

Faces?... where?

B)

A photographer taking his art too far:

wbclec.gif

:ph34r:

Vince Lombardi

"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."

"Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is."

Copa @ May 8 2005

Rugby League: Complex game, simple rules.

Rugby Union: Complex Rules, simple game.

Lets get Folding...

http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py...e&teamnum=43780

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/tea....php?s=&t=43780

A mate of mine, who has fallen on hard times, has offered me his Nikon D80, complete with the additional Pro battery pack, for

I just use the regular battery ginge, what has the pro pack got to offer?

In its own words

Does it take good photos though?

If you can't take good photos with it then it's not the camera's fault.

Jessops do them brand-new with a VR lens kit for

Whitehaven RLFC - Still in NL1, I blame Leroy Joe

Candlestick Chimney

Lord Oftheflies, Order of the Knights on the Town, (for services smoke removal devices in the architectural landscape of the North Country)

All Hail King Gerremonside I

I was waiting for one of the geeks to tell me that.

So, just for clarification, in the hands of a decent photographer, what standard of image could you expect from such a camera?

Thanks.

Depends what you mean.

In the right conditions you should be able to get a sharp image that prints up to A3 size without any problems.

Most paid professionals probably won't use a D80 but it shares a lot of technology with its contemporary D200 which they did use.

Its low-light shooting isn't what you can get now with a D90/D300 but it should produce good-excellent results up to ISO 800.

Depends what you mean.

In the right conditions you should be able to get a sharp image that prints up to A3 size without any problems.

Most paid professionals probably won't use a D80 but it shares a lot of technology with its contemporary D200 which they did use.

Its low-light shooting isn't what you can get now with a D90/D300 but it should produce good-excellent results up to ISO 800.

I regularly print A4 and now and again A3

the quality surpasses 35mm, and the the cost is a fraction of what enlargements from 35mm and medium format(I sued to use a Yashicamat), and it's great to be able to control colour printing with such ease. I do miss my old black and white darkroom thouigh. I suppose that last bit was a comment about digital photography in general

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

It's only Rock 'n Roll, but I like it!

IMG_3900-vi.jpg

IMG_3906-vi.jpg

IMG_3929-vi.jpg

IMG_3940-vi.jpg

IMG_3953-vi.jpg

IMG_3960-vi.jpg

IMG_3979-vi.jpg

IMG_3983-vi.jpg

IMG_4004-vi.jpg

Definately my best gig shots so far. I've finally got to grips with what my camera/lens combos can do in low light, and how much I can push the shots in photoshop afterwards. This was the first gig I've done where the photos have looked pretty decent straight off the camera without needing too much tweaking. But where's the fun in that?

Technical details: All shots at ISO 1600, 1/60s shutter speed. Lens was a Canon 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM non-IS. The photoshop filter used was the "hollywood" setting in Virtual Photographer. The framing and strange angles of the shots was thanks to about a gallon of Black Sheep.

RLC Premier Champions 2008

Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

RLC Club Of The Year 2001

A few that I processed over the weekend

Charity collector, London Marylebone

3120497923_44e32f5c1d.jpg

Batman and Robin watching the football, Aberystwyth

3125196549_6d4cb3bed5.jpg

We are watching you. The Salvation Army, Aberystwyth

3121465140_96c66145d2.jpg

Stayed at the Britannia Hotel Manchester over the weekend.

BritaniaStairs2IMG_1629.jpg

Takeaseat_IMG_1660.jpg

britannia_IMG_1623.jpg

britannia_IMG_1624.jpg

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

A few that I processed over the weekend

Charity collector, London Marylebone

3120497923_44e32f5c1d.jpg

Batman and Robin watching the football, Aberystwyth

3125196549_6d4cb3bed5.jpg

We are watching you. The Salvation Army, Aberystwyth

3121465140_96c66145d2.jpg

Ever thought about releasing a book with your pics? I've seen people with pictures no where near the quality of yours making money from it. That goes for a few of you on here. And what was Al Pacino doing collecting for charity?

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah