• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Johnoco said:

This is The Business, literally.

Storming tune. 

Hard to argue with the first statement.

I have a compilation "The Best of The Business" subtitled "28 classic oi anthems from South London`s finest". Set me back £10.99. First track "Out in the cold" sounds a bit like the Quo`s "Caroline". A frightful snob might dismiss most of it as yob rock. "Harry May" is the one you can most imagine being belted out at the old Den. 

3 hours ago, Johnoco said:

I love Blitz. But....

Their second LP 'Second Empire Justice' sounds like New Order or something. In itself it's not that horrendous, it's just not Blitz. And half the band agreed as they split up shortly after.

For "Second Empire Justice", the early-80s point of comparison I`d go with is the Colchester group Modern English.

Small wonder it perturbed all the Mohawks keen to bounce around to the likes of "Never Surrender". More the kind of sounds to throw moody shapes to at the Covent Garden club they shared a name with.

1 hour ago, unapologetic pedant said:

For "Second Empire Justice", the early-80s point of comparison I`d go with is the Colchester group Modern English.

Small wonder it perturbed all the Mohawks keen to bounce around to the likes of "Never Surrender". More the kind of sounds to throw moody shapes to at the Covent Garden club they shared a name with.

It all went downhill for them when they stopped respecting the PTB and the knock-on law. That was a difficult second album. :kolobok_wink:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

For no particular reason, earlier today I played on YouTube, by no means for the first time, two pieces which have in common that they both represent musically a wish for either more independence or full autonomy for the places from which they come. 

I was reminded that, regardless of whether you sympathise with the autonomy/independence aspirations or not, it is hard (for me, impossible) not to be moved by the raw emotion invoked merely by passionate performances of them.

The first is a hymn to the Virgin which has long been considered the 'national anthem' of Corsica, Diu vi salvi, Regina e Matre Universale  ('God save you, Queen and Mother of All')

diù vi salvi Regina - YouTube

The second is the Catalan 'national anthem', Els Segadors.  It is, of course, the Dragons' club song too, and a few members of the London Catalan Choir sang it at Wembley before the club's Challenge Cup success.

ELS SEGADORS (Himne nacional de Catalunya) (HD) - YouTube

On 21/08/2008 at 01:59, Johnoco said:

Pretty ###### quality. (to put it mildly) but surely Charlie Harper deserves a medal or something? He must have been about 39/40 when this came out (1980) so he must be 65+...and still going!!

You should have had a shilling on the old geezer still being around 12 years hence when you posted this.

On 09/08/2008 at 22:01, Johnoco said:

Exploited - Daily News

Good choice. Both "Troops of tomorrow" and "Punk`s not dead" were rallying cries for something which had become terminally unfashionable.

Cue an anecdote. -  I took "Punk`s not dead" into school to lend to a friend. At lunchtime one of our elders and betters in the sixth-form common room asked to have a look at it. Handed it through the window, and he took Rush`s "Hemispheres" off their turntable and gave a spin to Wattie et al. Didn`t even get through the first track. They`d all had enough after about 20 seconds.

On 10/08/2008 at 19:54, l'angelo mysterioso said:

cd by Jawbone I bought in Oxfam

I`m assuming this is the same Jawbone I have a cd by that was re-issued on one of Cherry Red`s sub-labels. Originally released in 1970, harmless psychedelic pop, includes a version of "Across the universe".

There was another Jawbone who did a Peel session in the noughties. Hazily recall a sort of untethered down-home one-man band. He got mentioned in an interview with Jack White.

I think this "l`angelo mysterioso" account is dormant. Maybe as a tribute to Brotherhood of Man there could be a follow-up account "le figaro mysterioso".

On 17/09/2008 at 14:48, Leeds Wire said:

Ah, the Weddoes... such under-rated music and yet unknowingly copied by a thousand bands in the last 5 years or so. George Best is an album which just never sounds dated and remains in my top 5 or so of all time. I even used to have the t-shirt which said "All the songs sound the same".

During the purchase of one of the Wedding Present`s early records I had foisted on me a free white rose badge. Highly offensive. Ban this filth.

4 tracks from "George Best" made the top 10 of Peel`s festive 50 in 1987. There were a tonne of Smiths entries that year. And at number 2 was The Fall`s "Australians in Europe", number 1 the Sugercubes` "Birthday".

• Like 1

On 16/12/2008 at 00:24, Number 16 said:

Another blast from the past.. Gillan Band.

Ian Gillan - vocals, Bernie Torme - guitar, John McCoy - bass, Colin Towns - keyboard &Mick Underwood - drums.

Glory Road, Mr Universe and Future Shock. Brilliant.

You`ve omitted "Double Trouble". My copy got some heavy rotation at the time. One album studio, the other live. 

On 09/02/2009 at 01:13, Johnoco said:

Discharge - Free Speech For The Dumb

How can a song with one line say so much? This knocks today's pretenders into touch!

Mentioned elsewhere that this lot were the best of the bunch in the UK. Loved their sound.

Their records were often persistently high in the NME independent charts. Probably didn`t mean much in terms of sales.

I never placed much importance on lyrics, but some of theirs struck my teenage mind. "Death Dealers" in particular - 

"Britain among others deal in death when selling arms to developing countries

To developing countries they sell death 

When there`s urgent need for medical programmes"

With a Ramones second verse/same as the first pattern. The fact that it`s prosaic, not trying to be poetic, projects more sincerity.

On 13/02/2009 at 22:32, Simon Hall said:

Deadly Technology by Photek. Excellent. And I've just bought the album on eBay for

I assume the album would have been "Form and Function Vol 2". This was a time when Drum and Bass had turned a bit formulaic. The tracks on the first "Form and Function" collection and on "Modus Operandi" were a lot more varied and imaginative.

The track you mention sounds a bit like Ram Trilogy`s "Molten Beats" album.

On 09/10/2008 at 00:47, Johnoco said:

RUTS- BABYLONS BURNING

Impossible to not grab a broom/pool cue and play along to this one.

(leaping off couch optional)

Pound for pound I`d take The Ruts over The Clash. They incorporated the Jamaican influence at least as well.

There was a fine Chicago band called The Effigies who in the early 80s sounded remarkably like The Ruts. And they were quite happy to acknowledge the debt.

I'm learning German. The language of Goethe, Wagner and Beethoven.

So, naturally, I'm listening to a lot of this ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)