spuggies and jackdaws and hedgehogs and frogs

4 hours ago, Ullman said:

Got a great close up view of a redwing in a hedge by the roadside as I was heading up the hill to Skidby yesterday.

You ever discussed bird spotting with Robbo?

He's an ornithological anorak.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

21 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

We're still getting regular visits from spoggies, goldfinches, robins and blackbirds. The pigeons have been less frequent visitors lately and I saw a collard dove for the first time in a while today too. We also regularly see greenfinches (less than 2 or 3 years ago), a coal and a blue ######. Other visitors are a wren, thrush and sparrowhawk - I was going to say infrequent but they likely usually visit when I'm not around. Not often we see a chaffinch. Given we've had a fair bit of snow today I'm expecting the fieldfares to turn up and strip the berries off the tree in the garden behind us in the next day or so,

You still have berries on your trees? Where do you live?

Not seen a greenfinch here for years. We used to get flocks of them as well as long tailed titmice (🙂), dunnocks, blackcaps and all sorts. We still get a few goldfinches on the nyjer seed feeder but they don't seem to nest here any more.

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

You ever discussed bird spotting with Robbo?

He's an ornithological anorak.

I have, mate.

He's very knowledgeable.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

34 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

You still have berries on your trees? Where do you live?

Not seen a greenfinch here for years. We used to get flocks of them as well as long tailed titmice (🙂), dunnocks, blackcaps and all sorts. We still get a few goldfinches on the nyjer seed feeder but they don't seem to nest here any more.

About 15 miles SE of the centre of Leeds (Pontefract) . I'll try and get a picture of the tree tomorrow. Saw plenty of these about yesterday on our walk through the snow (taken in the lane that runs a few hundred yards from our house

spacer.png

• Like 1

Walking the dog in the park today I was amazed by the huge number of blackbirds on the ground. There were dozens of them around the wooded areas, all of them frantically turning leaves over and pecking at the ground. They also seemed disinterested in our presence, they were so busy.

What's going on, anyone? Are they just short of food and gather together to work as a team?

13 hours ago, Johnoco said:

We have an owl in the garden. Thought it was just a one off but have been hearing it every night. Love it!

It's probably a bit of early Spring romance.  However, if it is raining heavily. your owl will be silent.  Well, it will be too wet to woo!

• Haha 1

A real sound of spring this morning at Hale Purlieu in the New Forest.  There were two great-spotted woodpeckers drumming, the first I have heard this year.  Also, there was a brief 'yaffle' from a distant, green woodpecker. 

I think I have used 'yaffle' correctly.  If I remember correctly, it is the old country word (certainly in the south-west) both for the bird and its descending, laugh-like call.

On 05/01/2021 at 18:36, Leeds Wire said:

Walking the dog in the park today I was amazed by the huge number of blackbirds on the ground. There were dozens of them around the wooded areas, all of them frantically turning leaves over and pecking at the ground. They also seemed disinterested in our presence, they were so busy.

What's going on, anyone? Are they just short of food and gather together to work as a team?

All birds will need to work hard to get enough food at this time of year and, of course, unlike us, cannot switch lights on to see what they are doing after dark.  So in winter, they will be particularly active when daylight conditions suit.

The other thought I have in answer to your question is to wonder whether you were walking your dog shortly after some rainfall.  The pitter-patter effect seems to bring worms up towards the surface of the ground, thus making it easier for them to be located and pulled the last inch or two completely out of the ground, and eaten. 

I would guess that looking under leaves is to locate insects and possibly, again, worms.  I am always both amused and amazed by the volume of noise a single blackbird can make while leaf-turning, especially if the leaves are dry.  Walking in the woodland of the New Forest, you hear this large amount of rustling noise and think it must be something the size of a squirrel at least, but it turns out to be a blackbird!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There has been an osprey at Fishlake Meadows (an appealing journey stop-off point for obvious reasons!) in Romsey (Hampshire) today.  I think this is the first sighting down here this year; no doubt, more will soon follow.  Start looking out for them heading north up the country.

In other bird of prey news around here, Winchester, Chichester and Salisbury cathedrals all have their peregrine pairs back, and I think all have laid at least one egg.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

There has been an osprey at Fishlake Meadows (an appealing journey stop-off point for obvious reasons!) in Romsey (Hampshire) today.  I think this is the first sighting down here this year; no doubt, more will soon follow.  Start looking out for them heading north up the country.

In other bird of prey news around here, Winchester, Chichester and Salisbury cathedrals all have their peregrine pairs back, and I think all have laid at least one egg.

Wakefield Cathedral Peregrine webcams here

Peregrine webcams - The Wakefield Peregrine Project (wakefieldperegrines.com) 

First time I saw an osprey live (Bassenthwaite Lake) the sheer size of it took me completely by surprise. I remember seeing it come into my binoculars' field of view and thinking 'that's a big bird.......bloomin' heck that's a big bird'

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

First time I saw an osprey live (Bassenthwaite Lake) the sheer size of it took me completely by surprise. I remember seeing it come into my binoculars' field of view and thinking 'that's a big bird.......bloomin' heck that's a big bird'

Thanks for the Wakefield webcam link, LTS.  The resurgence in peregrine numbers in the last thirty or so years is really quite spectacular.  I wonder if it would now be quicker to list the Anglican cathedrals that haven't got a nesting pair!

Still on birds of prey, I see that one or more of the white-tailed sea eagles released on the Isle of Wight seems to be going through a spell of drifting across the Solent to suss out the lie of the land in Southampton and along the mainland coast.  Our local ITV news programme the other day had some footage of one being mobbed by a red kite.  The kite looked decidedly small!

22 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Saw an osprey nest at Kielder a couple of years back. Looked big enough to plonk a king sized mattress on top of it.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.