Food and drink thread

Foie gras.

I've just decided.

Always leaves me a touch bilious. A little goes an awfully long way.

Just necked a Royale pizza (tomato, cheese, mushrooms and ham) cooked au feu de bois with an egg on top. Worked an absolute treat.

If you wish to meet the chef he will be at the Grand Final meet up in Manchester - he'll be the bloke looking terrified about British cuisine.

Come on over France side Hindle XIII and we'll do you a tete de veau :O

Always leaves me a touch bilious. A little goes an awfully long way. ... Come on over France side Hindle XIII and we'll do you a tete de veau :O
I had to google that, well, the 'veau' bit. While that's not something I'm squeemish of, the below quote also attributes not eating red meat for the time being.

And before I forget, very well done on the weight loss. I have a mixture of admiration and jealousy. Good on yer.
Ta. My best stab at advice is available to anyone who may want it.

I had to google that, well, the 'veau' bit. While that's not something I'm squeemish of, the below quote also attributes not eating red meat for the time being.

Ta. My best stab at advice is available to anyone who may want it.

On a special diet mate which appears to preclude anything healthy! Dream ticket as my brother put it.... Veau I think is classed as a white meat if you are still feeling adventurous. Rather you than me though.

Always leaves me a touch bilious. A little goes an awfully long way.

Foie gras is very rich. But delicious.

See if you can find monkfish liver - often available tinned. It is another rich delicacy, sometimes called the foie gras of the sea.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just made the baked chicken curry from the River Cottage programme the other night. Very nice curry sauce. Although the recipe said one large green chilli in, I put four birds eye in (wasn't brave enough to try the habaneros that my sister in law had grown. B)

Fides invicta triumphat

• 3 weeks later...
Haddock risotto. Never thought of putting the two together before now. Added a dash of cream, bloody lovely.

Isn't that like kedgeree?

Love smoked fish too - not had any for years though

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

I've just tried my first steak tartare. But to keep it on a fish theme they were tuna steak tartares I made. One with wholegrain mustard on toast, and one a more regular steak tartare with gherkin, pepper and onion. It's really quite nice, however the tuna itself itsn't as wow-ish as I'd thought. Perhaps it's because it's raw.

Edited by hindle xiii

I've just tried my first steak tartare. But to keep it on a fish theme they were tuna steak tartares I made. One with wholegrain mustard on toast, and one a more regular steak tartare with gherkin, pepper and onion. It's really quite nice, however the tuna itself itsn't as wow-ish as I'd thought. Perhaps it's because it's raw.

Tuna isn't the greatest fish to work with, I find it has little taste and the texture a little powdery.

I'm hoping to get hold of some confit du canard when I get home. It's the food of the gods.

Brought a tin home with me from Cholet, wish I'd bought half a dozen. hard to get in the UK AND expensive.

None of that Cassoulet infected stuff either, the full unadulterated duck only tins. :)

Edited by Haloman

I think Kedgeree has far more 'bits' in it.

Kedgeree from memory is rice, curry powder, smoked fish, boiled eggs, parsley and cream....plus maybe one or two other bits. Very nice if done properly

Kedgeree from memory is rice, curry powder, smoked fish, boiled eggs, parsley and cream....plus maybe one or two other bits. Very nice if done properly

Chuck in some onions and you've got it. Kedgeree is a Raj breakfast dish and you can still get it in some of the more 'English' of hotels. However, I believe it is an adaptation of an original indian dish which involved lentils not rice.

I'm hoping to get hold of some confit du canard when I get home. It's the food of the gods.

Brought a tin home with me from Cholet, wish I'd bought half a dozen. hard to get in the UK AND expensive.

None of that Cassoulet infected stuff either, the full unadulterated duck only tins. :)

You can get confit duck legs from Donald Russell.com

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Isn't that like kedgeree?

Kedgeree is a dryer dish, and uses a different kind of rice.

Risotto uses particular breeds of rice (most commonly Carnaroli or Arborio), whose husk expands and goes softer. To be honest, a good risotto doesn't actually look all that nice. But it does taste good.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The avruga caviar is delicious.

I didn't know what to expect, and I've no idea how different proper beluga tastes to this but I doubt it would be something else completely.

However, this tasted exactly the same as smoked salmon mousse, which I love, but I was disappointed that it was so similar to an everyday (posh) thing.

• 3 weeks later...