Food and drink thread

A big heads-up for anyone in/heading to London - the last two evenings (around 6pm), I've walked overground between Kings Cross and St Pancras and noticed that the Eat Street food stalls are staying open late. They normally close at about half past two, so I'd need to take a half day off work to sample their wares. :)

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

A big heads-up for anyone in/heading to London - the last two evenings (around 6pm), I've walked overground between Kings Cross and St Pancras and noticed that the Eat Street food stalls are staying open late. They normally close at about half past two, so I'd need to take a half day off work to sample their wares. :)

Just checked the Eat Street website, and the new opening hours (for the duration of the Olympics) is 11am - 8pm.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just checked the Eat Street website, and the new opening hours (for the duration of the Olympics) is 11am - 8pm.

I like the food you get at camden market. Gourmet it isn't but it's interesting, varied, tasty and cheap.

I've just been cleaning out my food cupboards.

I've found lots of half empty packets of curry ingredients- cardomom, coriander seeds the lot. I've just blitzed the whole lot together, regardless of ratios or anything like that: I make curry by the seat of my pants as it were, anyway: result an interesting easy to use curry powder.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

I have just bought a bottle of wasabi mayonnaise, from Hellmans' new range. It's very slightly green, and I have no idea what it will go with.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Prawns.

Indeed. It might also be good as a dip for french fries.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Back to Eat Street at Kings Cross again last night. A multicultural feast of chicken & chorizo taco, followed by a bhel puri and finished off with Italian ice cream (salted caramel flavour).

Taste? Lovely.

Cost? Seven quid for the lot.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I don't bake much, just the occasional loaf of soda bread (because I rarely have time to make regular bread, with all the rising time etc.).

Incidentally, soda bread with finely chopped black olives and preserved peppers mixed into the dough is a very fine thing, especially eaten warm with plenty of salted butter.

Be interested to get your soda bread recipe. I love the stuff but can't replicate my grandmothers recipe, which she sadly took with her to the grave.

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

Be interested to get your soda bread recipe. I love the stuff but can't replicate my grandmothers recipe, which she sadly took with her to the grave.

Mine is the one from 'River Cottage Everyday' by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. I can't vouch for its excellence, but it tastes good to me. Sometimes I use yoghurt if I can't get buttermilk.

LINK TO RECIPE

The preserved pepper brand I use is Peppadew, which you can get in most supermarkets.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mine is the one from 'River Cottage Everyday' by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. I can't vouch for its excellence, but it tastes good to me. Sometimes I use yoghurt if I can't get buttermilk.

LINK TO RECIPE

The preserved pepper brand I use is Peppadew, which you can get in most supermarkets.

It's pretty straightforward stuff to make to be honest. I think I just have some kind of Proustian thing going on with it.

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

I like the food you get at camden market. Gourmet it isn't but it's interesting, varied, tasty and cheap.

I've just been cleaning out my food cupboards.

I've found lots of half empty packets of curry ingredients- cardomom, coriander seeds the lot. I've just blitzed the whole lot together, regardless of ratios or anything like that: I make curry by the seat of my pants as it were, anyway: result an interesting easy to use curry powder.

I agree the with you on the camden market food it is excellent. Love the selling chant: "Wa u wan? I got vegtible spwing woll. You wan pwawn?"

In the blink of an eye it could all be taken away.  Be grateful always.

Bacon Jam is apparently going to be stocked by Tesco! Must look for some.

Bought some, late Saturday morning. Scraped the last little bits from the jar Sunday teatime. Damn tasty!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Tried suckling pig and oysters while in London for the cup final. Both lovely

I had Oysters for the first time in my life a couple of weeks ago, really fresh, locally landed ones, I ordered a 2nd helping, much to the annoyance of Mrs Bleep. For my 50th I also tried Razor Clams, they are amazingly good, considering you can pick them up on the beach for free.

Mussels grom on tghe rocks down here and if you so wish (& I do), you can harvest them at low tide (although sometimes you have to fight the Gulls for them.

I'm making curry goat at the weekend, something I've always loved to eat but never cooked. There are loads of recipes on t'internet for it but they differ massively - has anyone got a definitive version that works well?

ta

Mark

I tried one. It might have been one attributed to Levy Roots, it takes bloody ages though. http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/636225 oh and the timings don't add up - cook time 2 1/2 hrs, but recipe says 45m + 45m + 45m + 2hrs :rolleyes:

This might be ok http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/tv-show/cook-yourself-thin-recipes/curry-goat-with-rice-and-peas-recipe haven't tried it though so dunno if these times add up