Catalans look like shedding a few imports

The Dragons, hammered 54-12 by Warrington in the Challenge Cup semi-finals on Sunday, are heading for a major overhaul of their squad under Robinson.

Hooker Casey McGuire and loose forward Dallas Johnson both want to return to Australia while full-back Clint Greenshields has been linked with a move to union in France.

Catalans Dragons coach Trent Robinson will make Newcastle Knights

and for better French players to come through.

That is the major worry, they have the whole French game to go at. Also a major worry for Toulouse. It's easy to claim SL quality players are playing for more in the elite, but if they were SL quality why aren't they being picked up by Les cats......

Maybe Paris Surtout can answer that one?

That is the major worry, they have the whole French game to go at. Also a major worry for Toulouse. It's easy to claim SL quality players are playing for more in the elite, but if they were SL quality why aren't they being picked up by Les cats......

Apart from the one class player in Bosc the other French are basically average SL players.

We need the French players to be the equals of the imports.

McGuire and Greensheilds have done great in their spells at the club, but after a while I think that imports lose that desire to keep the same level of performance up.

How long is a while? Pat Richards, Brett Dallas anyone?

Apart from the one class player in Bosc the other French are basically average SL players.

Average French players would be a good start, at the moment, most of them play like amateurs, and that has to go down to Walters.

How long is a while? Pat Richards, Brett Dallas anyone?

They have been special ones. Most imports in SL have about 3 or 4 top seasons then lose it.

e.g Leeds - Lauititi, Webb etc

You cant keep relying on imports to keep a side competitive, you need that good blend of imports and homegrown players that Catalans dont have.

Pelo, Raguin, Elima and Guisset, are way above average.

Hmm...last year they were great this year they have gone back to their old form.

Maybe the 4 Nations and backing up from that has been a factor but this year the French players have been poor.

i think maybe a lot of french youngsters still don't consider themselves professionals, and in most cases maybe they still aren't.. its only been a few years since the Catalans have been in SL, so its gonna take a little while to start to bring through the youngsters with the right mental attitude to succeed.. Gigot is a turnstile in defence, once his attitude changes to a more professional one he might start to show something..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Clint Greenshield would be more than welcome at Bradford, great player.

Have Huddersfield signed a replacement for Brett Hodgson yet? Views are mixed on Leroy Cudjoe as the Giants number 1 at the moment so I'd tip Clint Greenshields to go to Fartown. ######.

Average French players would be a good start, at the moment, most of them play like amateurs, and that has to go down to Walters.

I know I shouldn't say this given the reasons for Kevin Walters' absence from Perpignan, but they certainly seemed to play better with Laurent Frayssinous in charge.

Olivier Elima, David Ferriol, Jamal Fakir, Dimitri Pelo, Greg Mounis, Remy Casty and Sebastien Raguin are better than average SL players.

Like Thomas Bosc, Pelo, Elima, Ferriol and Fakir would walk into most Super League sides.

Edited by ParisSurtout

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

Maybe I can.

I hear that many of Les Catalans French players are being massively underpaid (e.g. Remy Casty). The management of the club knows that the French players don't want to move from France to England, so they pay them less than their market value and get away with it. It is worse at Toulouse because Toulouse has much less money to spend. So some good French players prefer to play for a better salary with the Elite clubs (as will Toulouse's current best import, half back Nathan Wynn, in 2011).

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

I suppose in some ways it is akin to the experiences at Whitehaven in recent seasons, when they had some cracking local lads supplemented by some decent pros, a good number of whom had very good jobs in local industry (for example BNFL). Part time rugby + full time (with flexible working) regular job = a good living in a great part of the world. Apologies if this is not current....

Here in France a good rugby player can play part time for his local club and frequently get a gig at the local council or local benefactors (several examples at Carcassonne, Limoux, and in particular in this coming season at Pia) with all the benefits in the long term that that can provide. It is a big step for them to cut the ties with such employment and chance their arm in the Championship (where there may well be a pay cut even for the rugby never mind probably losing the day job), and even in super league where the vagaries of an unstable rugby management doesn' necessarily inspire confidence for giving youth a chance.

Some of the young players that I have seen in Toulouse colours inspire some confidence in the future. But, as I was hearing tonight on BBC Humberside coverage, the French sides like any others are crying out for young talented halves. If only Murcia (the Limoux half who has a rugby brain second to none) had some pace....

Apologies for rambling....

I am a little concerned to be honest in the retention so far from robinson, it is all good to get rid of bell and mcguire but they simply need to keep greensheilds and johnson.

The rumoured imports for next season seem a little well understated fringe nrl player scott dureau and has been carl webb plus worker hooker ian henderson. They have missed out on steve matai and brett finch while also seem likely to miss human headline wille mason. So next season they would have possible Carlaw, Sa, Walker plus dureau and webb also who are the english players being looked at.

The best french guys bosc, ferriol, mounis, elima and fakir would walk into any sl outfit then baile, gossard, casty, raguin and gussiet would also get sl deals but the rest is where the problem is the likes of duport, griffi, vaccari, the bentley boys, barthau, martins, gigot, touxagas, stacul, quintella seem to be getting recycled between catalans reserves(utc), toulouse and the likes of FCL, PIA and other elite teams not making that step up to SL. I hope the next crop of young kids can make that step up young simon seems impressive, while tisserye at toulouse has a future in sl.

Also it is becoming clearer that elima could be at bradford next season with menzies being released and big rumours of the move.

This is a possible catalans best 17 next season.

1. Chris Walker 2. Vaccari 3. Baile 4. Sa 5. Duport

6. Bosc 7. Dureau

13. Mounis 12. Fakir 11. Carlaw

10.Webb 9. Henderson 8. Ferriol

Bench: Casty, Gussiet, Simon, Bentley.

A little worrying for next season.

Edited by winnyason