The TV Thread

Me too - I thought Peter Kay had lost it but then I saw him do a bit of a cameo at, of all places, a gig by Difford and Tilbrook from Squeeze (he's a big fan) and he ad libbed with them and the audience and was very funny. So I gave Car Share a go and was pleasantly surprised. It was hardly ground breaking but it was funny and developed the characters beautifully. Like in Phoenix Nights, you have to like or at least believe in the characters for comedy to work.

He might well have hooked up with Difford & Tilbrook from them doing the music for a forthcoming comedy drama that Peter Kay is in, playing Danny Baker's dad. And I will watch at least one episode of that, good or bad, just to see what Peter's Sarf Lahndan accent is like. He is supposed to be a bit of a perfectionist - check out the little details of 'Car Share' like the throwaway comment from Forever FM. Or the poster seen at the roadside in one episode.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

From the vaults, Kenny Everett's first television series Nice Time, co-presented by Germain Greer and Jonathan 'Candid Camera' Routh. Odd, but quite fun in its own way.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Outbreak: The truth about Ebola.

Brutal and chilling documentary. 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

At 10pm tonight on ITV4, 'Road', a documentary about road-racing legend Joey Dunlop and his family.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Anyone else been watching the Paul Abbot police drama No Offence on C4? Like most of his stuff I'm finding it very good.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

This was interesting, enlightening and thought provoking: Churchill When Britain Said No about his crashing defeat in the 1945 election.

A horrible racist, so many mistakes and yet he's usually cited as the Greatest Briton of all time.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

This was interesting, enlightening and thought provoking: Churchill When Britain Said No about his crashing defeat in the 1945 election.

Was an eye opener for sure.  I knew some of what was in the programme but didn't realise many of his speeches were not broadcast in the war, but recorded well after.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Was an eye opener for sure. I knew some of what was in the programme but didn't realise many of his speeches were not broadcast in the war, but recorded well after.

I was always under the impression that all his famous HoC speeches were repeated for public broadcast on the evenings but that there was a mass re-recording some time after the war. It seems however that few speeches were broadcast contemporaneously. So even that is now seem as a sham.

Max Hastings seems unable to let go of the myth though doesn't he? His contemptible statement that only Churchill fully understood the dangers of Hitler, Nazism and fascism nearly made me throw stuff at the TV. When he and his aristocratic friends Rothermere were cosying up full to Hitler and Mussolini decent men and women were fighting in Cable Street and in Spain.

I wonder how much TOTP footage is now effectively unavailable because of Savile, Travis et al?

It relly looks so naff now - the miming, the bored crowd and the only available safe DJs seem to be Mike "UKIP Calypso" Reid or Noel Edmonds

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

I agree but the major difference between then and now is the massive variation of music on there - and this was *the* prime time music show. You see Rockabilly/Heavy Metal/Ska/Disco/Ballads/Punk and more. Now it seems to be all mainstream music is MoFos Ft DJ Smithy or some such cobblers.

So there.

There was always a mix on TotP, from the cheesy/novelty to the great to the ordinary to the terrible. There was never a 'Golden Age', but people watched it because we hoped that we'd see at least one thing that we liked.

Even if that one thing was Sue from Legs & Co. Who was usually worth it on her own.

sue54_0.png

As for your other comment, do you remember what your dad used to say when he saw any pop acts on TV? That's you now, that is. ;)

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On Channel 4, Chris Evans just mentioned that he's filming a 'Top Gear' sequence this week.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

He is also reviving TFI Friday

That's just planned to be a one-off, apparently.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Oh no chris evans on tv he is so shrill and gets right up my nose.

No offence terrific channel 4 weds 9.00pm last episode tomorrow.

Edited by tomdooley

Oh no chris evans on tv he is so shrill and gets right up my nose.

No offence terrific channel 4 weds 9.00pm last episode tomorrow.

No Offence is on at 9pm tonight.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

He is also reviving TFI Friday

I enjoyed up to the Lewis Hamilton car geekery.   

I've had the misfortune of catching a 'comedian' called James Acaster a couple of times recently. What am I missing?

He had a Radio 4 show a year or so ago. I don't get him at all. He just seems stilted and awkward and not funny (to me at least).

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've had the misfortune of catching a 'comedian' called James Acaster a couple of times recently. What am I missing?

He had a Radio 4 show a year or so ago. I don't get him at all. He just seems stilted and awkward and not funny (to me at least).

Not just me then.:unsure:

'Fastest' on ITV4 right now, is a documentary about Valentino Rossi, narrated by Ewan McGregor, and is brilliant! Quite emotional to see Marco Simoncelli again.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson