The RFL's rocky road

I can understand the suggestion of keeping the caps close together, but once again it is playing to the lowest common denominator. Clubs need something to aspire to. The Option 3 structure makes promotion easier, but it shouldn't be handed on a plate by dragging the playing field down. Growth, ambition and commercial success should be rewarded, rather than jeopardised to benefit struggling clubs. The game is better when there is more money in it, not less. Survival of the fittest and all that - get efficient and generate revenue or fall by the wayside to the level where the club can compete. Inflation has already diluted wages at the top level to a degree that should not be unachievable for at least twelve clubs. The fact that clubs in SL still fail to meet the cap after all these years is a sorry summary of the current state of the game.

Warriors_Logo_Band_396.jpg

oderint dum metuant

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 LEAGUES OF TEN

season runs easter to first week in october

9 home games , 9 away games , 1 magic game ( all 4 leagues have a version of the magic weekend

top 5 play offs across all 4 leagues

1 up & 1 down promotion & relegation

4 league cups

league cup played through feb & march

each league cup, in each of the 4 divisions would consist of 2 groups of 5, top 2 from each group advance to semi finals..then a final..

this would provide all clubs across all leagues a additional 4 home games a year......ontop of the 9 home games during the regular season....giving each club a guaranteed 13 game home programme....the same as super league clubs now

its also a extra competition the RFL can sell the tv & sponsorship rights too

CHALLENGE CUP

as is...played during the regular season

FUNDING

SL - £1.2m each
L1 - £500k each
L2 - £200k each
L3 - £100k each

thats £20m a year of central funding.....and considering the RFL gets more than that from its tv contracts every year,about £27m,and does'nt include other monies from sponsorship & sport england funding... i won't believe anyone who says there not enough money to fund this..

at the moment all the RFL is bothered about are the top 16-18 clubs that play the sport.....they need to wake up and realize they are responsible for ALL the clubs under their control!!........that would be a "WHOLE SPORT PLAN"!!

Edited by roughyedspud

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

god knows why the font size is all over the place?? but you get the idea

If we are going to drop to smaller, more intense leagues (although I think a ten-team top flight is a touch too small) then I'm also a big fan of making up the fixture shortfall with a pre-season comp, rather than simply adding repeat fixtures to the regular season.

The only place I'd differ is that I'd have two rather than four tiers of competition: one for clubs either operating or aspiring to be full time pro and one for the semi-pro clubs beneath.

I know the conventional thinking is that we needed to rationalise the number of cups in the pro game (and, to be fair, we probably did) but a pre-season comp would freshen things up somewhat, boost the income of the smaller clubs and bring all of the pro game together.

It would also allow Super League itself to be launched at a more clement time of the year.

With an increased cap and increased payment, a few (Fev, Fax) may go mainly full time. So therefore some the complete change of squad wouldnt be needed.

In that case it begs the question why not increase SL to 16, and drop the cap down so every club that can afford to be professional is professional.

In that case it begs the question why not increase SL to 16, and drop the cap down so every club that can afford to be professional is professional.

It does, but that as far as I am aware isn't one of the options being discussed.

I don't think there are enough strong clubs to justify 14 licenses at the moment, let alone 16.

What we should be aiming for is intensity and transparency at every level

What's the points system going to be in this new second tier league ?

The 4 SL clubs coming down will have played for 2 points for a win, 1 for a draw, no bonus points on offer so far during the season.

The 4 Championship clubs going up will have played for 3 points for a win, 2 for a draw and a bonus point for losing by less than 12 points so far during the season.

If points get carried forward will the SL clubs' points be adjusted to the Championship method and retrospectively awarded, or will the Championship clubs' points be adjusted to the SL method and retrospectively reduced ?

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

What's the points system going to be in this new second tier league ?

The 4 SL clubs coming down will have played for 2 points for a win, 1 for a draw, no bonus points on offer so far during the season.

The 4 Championship clubs going up will have played for 3 points for a win, 2 for a draw and a bonus point for losing by less than 12 points so far during the season.

If points get carried forward will the SL clubs' points be adjusted to the Championship method and retrospectively awarded, or will the Championship clubs' points be adjusted to the SL method and retrospectively reduced ?

I don't think the points are carried over into tier 2. It's only in Tier 1 and Tier 3 where the points carry on. Edited by a.n Other

It would also allow Super League itself to be launched at a more clement time of the year.

I heard on the radio this morning that there may be snow tomorrow...

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

I don't think the points are carried over into tier 2. It's only in Tier 1 and Tier 3 where the points carry on.

Fair enough, though I've not seen that confirmed anywhere. But the question still remains as to which points system they'll be using - will they be using the BP system or not ?

I don't think there are enough strong clubs to justify 14 licenses at the moment, let alone 16.

What we should be aiming for is intensity and transparency at every level

Intensity will be maximised at about 10 clubs, the original Peacock plan.

Even he's back pedalled to suggesting 12.

Transparency?? Licenses are rather opaque and cloudy. Automatic P & R is transparent.

2 x 12 auto P & R.

Revolutionary idea!!

Fair enough, though I've not seen that confirmed anywhere. But the question still remains as to which points system they'll be using - will they be using the BP system or not ?

Let me preface this by saying the system is nuts but ... if we are to have a tier 2 with this set-up then it should have BP.  It may be the only way to keep the interest going for half the division.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Let me preface this by saying the system is nuts but ... if we are to have a tier 2 with this set-up then it should have BP.  It may be the only way to keep the interest going for half the division.

But that may cause an identity crisis - you see, SL doesn't have bonus points but the Championship does and by introducing them to this league you are condemning them to carry the horrible stigma of being a Championship league rather than a SL one, and thus destined to be forever ignored and unmentioned by Sky and most other media outlets. Eddie & Stevo will pretend these clubs don't exist until they crop up again at the start of the next season in the top tier. Is this league to be SL Minus or Championship Plus ?

But that may cause an identity crisis - you see, SL doesn't have bonus points but the Championship does and by introducing them to this league you are condemning them to carry the horrible stigma of being a Championship league rather than a SL one, and thus destined to be forever ignored and unmentioned by Sky and most other media outlets. 

That would be the least of our problems!

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

Yes, it's not massively in depth but a good read. I access love rugby league through the iphone app so I missed these.  Also worth noting that I think there's a performance issue with the live scores page as it times out unless you have 3G, and won't load on E.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

But that may cause an identity crisis - you see, SL doesn't have bonus points but the Championship does and by introducing them to this league you are condemning them to carry the horrible stigma of being a Championship league rather than a SL one, and thus destined to be forever ignored and unmentioned by Sky and most other media outlets. Eddie & Stevo will pretend these clubs don't exist until they crop up again at the start of the next season in the top tier. Is this league to be SL Minus or Championship Plus ?

We need to get the consultants in.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

What happens to the teams not in the 2x12/3x8?

Shhh! Don't ask questions.

Presumably they'll be condemned to play in a re-branded Championship 1. And all of those people on here complaining about the lack of P&R will remember the clubs left behind and continue to shout about it......

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959