Koukash wants to buy NRL club (merged threads)

I'm not trying to be rude but I really wish some Brit RL fans could spend a year in Sydney or Brisbane with a season ticket (preferably Wests Tigers), a big TV, a Foxtel subscription and subscriptions to all the major NSW and Qld newspapers.

Some of you just seem to have no idea whatsoever about NRL in the RL states.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually think them converting to the NRL did more to hurt the image of the SL than raise it's profile, In many ways there exit to the NRL only further discredits SL as a competition in the eyes of the knockers. MK adds interest because he is a very clever billionaire business man who sees the potential of the SL there for bucking the trend of it being a dying sport over there. Well that's how I see it anyway.

Rather than thinking 'blimey, turns out there are some alright player over there'?

I'm not trying to be rude but I really wish some Brit RL fans could spend a year in Sydney or Brisbane with a season ticket (preferably Wests Tigers), a big TV, a Foxtel subscription and subscriptions to all the major NSW and Qld newspapers.

Some of you just seem to have no idea whatsoever about NRL in the RL states.

I'll do it! You're paying, right? Oh, and rather than just saying we don't have a clue, do you care to elaborate?

Rather than thinking 'blimey, turns out there are some alright player over there'?

I'll do it! You're paying, right? Oh, and rather than just saying we don't have a clue, do you care to elaborate?

One example is the media management. One reason why our media carry so many RL stories is because the media squad at HQ keep pumping out stories and providing them to anyone who'll print, or broadcast them. They keep track of which players are approaching career milestones. Which players have just become parents. Which players are attending some school as part of a Literacy/Anti-Drugs/Domestic Violence programme.

The NRL allocates one or two teams each day to open their doors to the fourth estate. The club has to make the coach and a couple of star players available for interviews and TV footage. Sports writers generally aren't rocket scientists and by making the coverage of NRL brain-dead simple, you get more coverage.

As for your other point:  "Rather than thinking 'blimey, turns out there are some alright player over there'?

I think there are only 8 UKers in the NRL - I don't think Ben Crooks will see much top-grade, so I didn't count him. (He's welcome to convince me that I was wrong and I will admit it.)

Back in the 80s there were some years when we had more than that so the real question might be, "What happened to all the good Brit players?" Players like Mal Reilly, Kevin Ward, Andy Platt, Dennis Betts, Jonathon Davies, Gary Connolly, Shaun Edwards, Ellery Hanley and Garry Schofields have all played here so the Burgesses aren't that big a shock.

One example is the media management. One reason why our media carry so many RL stories is because the media squad at HQ keep pumping out stories and providing them to anyone who'll print, or broadcast them. They keep track of which players are approaching career milestones. Which players have just become parents. Which players are attending some school as part of a Literacy/Anti-Drugs/Domestic Violence programme.

The NRL allocates one or two teams each day to open their doors to the fourth estate. The club has to make the coach and a couple of star players available for interviews and TV footage. Sports writers generally aren't rocket scientists and by making the coverage of NRL brain-dead simple, you get more coverage.

As for your other point:  "Rather than thinking 'blimey, turns out there are some alright player over there'?

I think there are only 8 UKers in the NRL - I don't think Ben Crooks will see much top-grade, so I didn't count him. (He's welcome to convince me that I was wrong and I will admit it.)

Back in the 80s there were some years when we had more than that so the real question might be, "What happened to all the good Brit players?" Players like Mal Reilly, Kevin Ward, Andy Platt, Dennis Betts, Jonathon Davies, Gary Connolly, Shaun Edwards, Ellery Hanley and Garry Schofields have all played here so the Burgesses aren't that big a shock.

So like football over here? It's not hard to extrapolate that the biggest sport in Aus gets similar attention to the biggest sport in the UK. So maybe we do have a clue, if not the ins and outs.

Back in the 80s, you say. So there has been a good old gap. So wide that a lot of fans might not have really seen the players you speak of...

dude...a majority of the stuff "aussie media" reports are absolute nonsense...

and most of the old players you named only played a handful of games down under mainly during our off season...often in a couple of stints

shaun edwards 12...

gary connolly 15..

jonathon davies 23 etc...

even kevin ward,whos considered one of the toughest players to ever play for manly only played 15 games for them!

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

dude...a majority of the stuff "aussie media" reports are absolute nonsense...

No. A majority of the Murdoch press product is rubbish.

and most of the old players you named only played a handful of games down under mainly during our off season...often in a couple of stints

True but irrelevant, given that the point was the OZ fans' awareness of quality Brit players.

Adrian Morley, Brian Carney, Gareth Ellis in the 2000's. I think it's a combination of the above and the fact that England have been more competitive internationally in recent years which has helped renew interest in Super League in Australia.

Before, Australians weren't interested in Super League because based on the performances of the English/French/Welsh national teams their competition had no real good players and wasn't worth watching or paying attention to.

I also think the Doctor is great for Rugby League. Eccentric billionaires make great publicity.

As for your other point: "Rather than thinking 'blimey, turns out there are some alright player over there'?

and you have the audacity to claim Brit rl fans dont get it.

You talk about press releases, well done, awesome!!! Do you think rl clubs over here dont do that? Do you not think that the situations are different? What works in Oz doesnt necessarily work elsewhere. If it did, itd be easy and the game would be huge here, France and elsewhere.

Extremely simplistic analysis.

On your point about British players in the NRL, again, you spectacularly miss the point. The move to summer has meant short term hire of players has stopped. Its how top Aussie players played here and Brit players played there. It was pretty much risk free, a one season signing, players didnt have to move their whole life to the other side of the world. Many of the GB team got to play in Oz during their career, Gregory, Gregory, Hanley, Edwards, Clarke, Offiah, Ward - and so on.

id sack chase before id sack harris...salford need some structure in the halves not a headless chicken like chase

The 'headless chicken' thing is just a handy cliche people like to trot out about him. In spite of his apparent avian decollation, and in spite of missing the first quarter of last season with a leg injury, and is spite of playing in a team that lacked the strike power to finish moves off, he still managed to finish third highest in the try assists last year, just 5 behind everyone's favourite Salford half-back Marc Sneyd.

Anyway, to the purpose of this posting: Marwan has spoken about the 'had enough' tweet.

He's such a quitter that Koukash.  It's probably how he became a multi-millionaire.

Donanld Trump (who is reasonably successful) says that 'part of being a winner is knowing when enough is enough. Sometimes you have to give up the fight and walk away, and move on to something that's more productive'.

does anyone know how much hes actually worth??

billionaire? , multi millionaire?? has he ever figured on the sunday times rich list??

Multi-millionaire in GBP, billionaire (or pretty damned close) in AUD I believe.

The 'headless chicken' thing is just a handy cliche people like to trot out about him. In spite of his apparent avian decollation, and in spite of missing the first quarter of last season with a leg injury, and is spite of playing in a team that lacked the strike power to finish moves off, he still managed to finish third highest in the try assists last year, just 5 behind everyone's favourite Salford half-back Marc Sneyd.

Anyway, to the purpose of this posting: Marwan has spoken about the 'had enough' tweet.

I'd agree with the Chase point. The fact is that after his shoulder charge at Fev, and his controversial England selections, he has become a bit of a villain.

Personally I enjoy watching exciting players who try off the cuff things, and really hope it works out for him.

does anyone know how much hes actually worth??

billionaire? , multi millionaire?? has he ever figured on the sunday times rich list??

No he's never been on the rich list (which starts at about £60 million). The Sporting Life did a feature a while back on racehorse owners and Koukash's wealth was estimated at around £15m.

Also, the company which owns Salford RL, MKAC Investment Partners Ltd, is under threat of being struck off by Companies House for non-filing of accounts. The first dissolution notice was served in mid-January.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Archived