Playing Season Poll

Playing season  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Given three years of summer rugby and its outcomes moving forward which would be the best option

• March to November no breaks
    • March to November summer break mid july to August
    • September to May no breaks
    • September to May break in Dec /Jan
    • Any other suggestion

One thing that seems to be overwhelmingly obvious based on opinion and statistics is that a split season is required and playing straight through July and August is not productive on any level.

So wether its March-Early July and then Sept-Nov, or Sept-Nov and then Feb-May/June, it will be far better than the current policy at 16's upwards to play straight through from March - Late Sept/Early Oct.

It was marketed as a March-November season yet from 16's upwards in NWC October and November are not used and we play through the height of the Holiday season in July/August with poor fixture completion rates.

Everybody is going to have their own opinions on this issue and all playing seasons have their pros and cons but one thing is for certain and that is the whole of the community game needs to be playing the same season. Whether that be March/November or Sept/May. The community game is becoming a joke!

In Cumbria we had a break for the school holidays in Summer and on resumption it was a definite fail

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

The problem with breaks is people drift away/lose interest. 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

One of the best pieces of advice I received, many years ago, was to never arrange fixtures for the second weekend of a half-term - because you'll only ever raise half a team.

When the drift to Summer began, I was convinced that it could never work at school age level because of the enforced breaks at Easter and during the long Summer holidays. But when did 'they who must be obeyed' ever listen to the volunteers?

Summer advocates can fall back on festivals and round-robins, but I fail to see how youth rugby will ever be able to sustain a league format that takes place weekly between March and November.

The problem with breaks is people drift away/lose interest. [/

Not if you manage it and run festivals etc we have never had a problem either winter or summer ,

if you run festivals you are not having a break and thus defeats the object......

it in fact elongates your playing season!

And what exactly is your point Yippee .

Not everybody goes on holiday at the same time ,

So to stop kids drifting away we run festivals so that the kids not on holiday if they so wish along with their clubs can organise and participate in festivals it's supply and demand .

Important revenue earners the community game clubs do not get the hand outs the pro clubs get .

And probably why we have in the north west the biggest growth and retention in the game .

The problem with breaks is people drift away/lose interest. [/

Not if you manage it and run festivals etc we have never had a problem either winter or summer ,

I was thinking about it from an OA perspective.  If your team knows it isn't going to win anything (midtable obscurity) and then you have, say 4 weeks off, I think it would be really hard to keep things going.  Players seem to want a game week in and week out (even if they then go shopping instead, lets face it players are contradictory!).

I can't talk about the kids game as I have 0 experience.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

From an open age perspective if a break was introduced to stop the drop off then league managements could for example run a mini 9s league .

We must look at doing something different to stop the loss of players clubs same old same old is clearly not working .

• 1 month later...

20 week season with a 6 week winter break, start again with a 20 week season with a 6 week summer break.

What we're seeing in all leagues and divisions at the moment is a massive shift within a season in a clubs playing strengths. two short seasons with a 12 month period would see lots of promotions and relegations which in turn would see clubs playing a lot of different clubs over a short time, may be this could produce a greater interest in our game at amateur level.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

20 week season with a 6 week winter break, start again with a 20 week season with a 6 week summer break.

What we're seeing in all leagues and divisions at the moment is a massive shift within a season in a clubs playing strengths. two short seasons with a 12 month period would see lots of promotions and relegations which in turn would see clubs playing a lot of different clubs over a short time, may be this could produce a greater interest in our game at amateur level.

I certainly think that would be the way forward at junior and youth level, probably with the 6 week summer break used for scholarship. Open age I'm undecided as this would have its benefits but I think it would be beneficial to have all levels of the game playing the same season if possible

Archived