Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

Labour leadership contest

Which of the candidates would make you more likely to vote Labour if they win the leadership?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the candidates would make you more likely to vote Labour if they win the leadership?

• Andy Burnham
    • Yvette Cooper
    • Jeremy Corbyn
    • Liz Kendall
    • I would never vote Labour
  2. 2. Did you vote Labour in the 2015 General Election?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you have a vote in the Labour leadership election?

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. Who would you vote for in the Labour leadership election?

• Andy Burnham
    • Yvette Cooper
    • Jeremy Corbyn
    • Liz Kendall

Remember, the Tories only have a majority of 12, Labour has 232 MPs DESPITE Scotland, compare that with 1997 with Labour having a majority of 179 and the Tories on 165 MPs.  No-one then was suggesting the Tories take a surge to the left because they'd lost the electorate...  Don't fall for the spin of those who see Labour as the alternative to the Tory party that they just didn't have enough money to influence.

Quoting myself here...

This is one thing that really annoys me about the current Labour interim cabinet, they are treating the Tories as if they have a massive majority, they don't, it's 12.  They're being narrow, selfish and stubborn in simply looking at Labour MPs vs Tory MPs rather than everyone vs Tories.  The SNP is the only party that's making that call and reminding the Tories that not only do they have they a majority of only 12 but many of their MPs are properly rebellious on all manner of subjects and a bit of well targeted opposition could see that majority crumble.  The fox hunting thing is a perfect example of targeted and effective opposition by the SNP showing nouse that Labour just aren't showing.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Quoting myself here...

This is one thing that really annoys me about the current Labour interim cabinet, they are treating the Tories as if they have a massive majority, they don't, it's 12.  They're being narrow, selfish and stubborn in simply looking at Labour MPs vs Tory MPs rather than everyone vs Tories.  The SNP is the only party that's making that call and reminding the Tories that not only do they have they a majority of only 12 but many of their MPs are properly rebellious on all manner of subjects and a bit of well targeted opposition could see that majority crumble.  The fox hunting thing is a perfect example of targeted and effective opposition by the SNP showing nouse that Labour just aren't showing.

They would be then accused of "playing politics" with whatever the issue is that they are opposing by the Tories. Although, seeing they are all politicians it's always struck me as an odd thing to criticise a politician of doing; "playing politics" is their job. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

They are being played like a fiddle, just as they were during the election.  None of them appear to know how and what to react to.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Cooper and Burnham, as the only two serious candidates, have been well and truly stitched up by Harman on this issue. If they decided to vote against the Labour whip how on earth could they, as a new leader, then demand loyalty from other Labour MPs in a few weeks time? It's just not practical.

I've never understood how Harman has risen so high in the PLP, apart from being a woman in the right place at the right time, and I think she's been an absolute disaster as interim leader. Not only has she put them in a terrible position but at the same time she's managed to leave the door open for Jeremy Corbyn - who is not a serious candidate in any way, shape or form - to vote as he likes and look good by comparison. It's an absolute clusterf... and it's all down to one person. 

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Even the DUP is giving a three-line whip for about the first time this decade to vote against the welfare bill.

Here's Andy Burnham's weasel words that really should nail the coffin lid shut on his leadership ambitions:

"To clarify - I will be voting to oppose the Welfare Reform Bill tonight by voting for a Labour motion which I helped secure."

Or in other words, as noted by the Guardian in its live feed:

He is voting against the bill, because he is backing the Labour amendment that says the bill should not get a second reading. But he is also abstaining when MPs vote on whether to give the bill a second reading, in line with what the instructions from the Labour whip.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

So your happy that people on tax credits/welfare can keep knocking out kids even though they cant afford to pay for them?

Its not about principles its about basic education and common sense

Sadly its lacking in this day and age,thats why the likes of wonga,brighthouse,uk homemaker and loan sharks have appeared making fantastic profits.

People should live by their means,if you cant afford to buy/pay for something whether it be a car,tv or child (over 2) then dont buy/concieve it

So your happy that people on tax credits/welfare can keep knocking out kids even though they cant afford to pay for them?

Sadly its lacking in this day and age,thats why the likes of wonga,brighthouse,uk homemaker and loan sharks have appeared making fantastic profits.

People should live by their means,if you cant afford to buy/pay for something whether it be a car,tv or child (over 2) then dont buy/concieve it

What happens if you have a job and 4 kids, but get made redundant? Or widowed? Or have 2 kids and are raped? 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

This thread isn't about you or your views. This thread is about the Labour leadership and those who'll vote for the final winner.

Cooper and Burnham, as the only two serious candidates, have been well and truly stitched up by Harman on this issue. If they decided to vote against the Labour whip how on earth could they, as a new leader, then demand loyalty from other Labour MPs in a few weeks time? It's just not practical.

I've never understood how Harman has risen so high in the PLP, apart from being a woman in the right place at the right time, and I think she's been an absolute disaster as interim leader. Not only has she put them in a terrible position but at the same time she's managed to leave the door open for Jeremy Corbyn - who is not a serious candidate in any way, shape or form - to vote as he likes and look good by comparison. It's an absolute clusterf... and it's all down to one person. 

Agreed.

I despair at the current state of the Labour Party.

The extended leadership process is causing untold damage.

It only comes in 2017

Never heard of family planning ?

Ahhh my mistake.  I didn't realise redundancies, death and rape would be outlawed before 2017.

Family planning for rape, you stay classy now.

Only applies if the third child is born after 2017. The rape issue is a genuine one and needs addressing, which will be done. but the overall point still stands.

Does NOT apply to existing situations.

Four legs good - two legs bad

Only applies if the third child is born after 2017. The rape issue is a genuine one and needs addressing, which will be done. but the overall point still stands.

Can you not be made redundant or widowed if you are pregnant?  (You know that it takes a few months from the planning bit to the being born bit?).

How do you do cover the rape issue?  Ask nicely? 

How's the actual leadership contest going? Holiday break? Any reliable outcome indicators?

Four legs good - two legs bad

How's the actual leadership contest going? Holiday break? Any reliable outcome indicators?

According to the Spectator, bookies have Burnham and Cooper very close, Corbyn in the mix but slightly behind, Kendall nowhere.

That was before last night though.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

There are exemptions for rape victims. But it remains to be seen how workable they'll be

Please remember that this topic is about the Labour leadership contest and the issues around it.  This isn't the place to come defending or criticising Tory viewpoints as that adds nothing to the debate, it only adds to the debate if you can show how it relates to the Labour policy or contest.

One of the problems with the parliamentary Labour party as a whole, and its leadership candidates, is that they are all too frightened to say anything remotely controversial or contentious no matter how stupid it makes them seem. They are all so keen to be seen as achingly PC that they are constantly wary of upsetting someone by having a viewpoint on any controversial subject. It often seems like the priority is to not cause offence rather than deal with the issue itself. I'd like to see a Labour leadership candidate stand up and give their open and honest views on a wide range of topics and say this is what I think, like it or lump it.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

I think after all the candidates apart fro Corbyn abstaining on the welfare vote means that whoever is elected Leader faces the next 5 years of tearing itself apart ,but that is the Labour Party.

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

I think after all the candidates apart fro Corbyn abstaining on the welfare vote means that whoever is elected Leader faces the next 5 years of tearing itself apart ,but that is the Labour Party.

Stretching the line of on-topic here but the two votes last night carried with 308 for, that's not half the House.  The Tory majority of 12 would have forced every Tory MP to turn up if Labour had opposed.  Even the DUP gave a three line whip on the subject.  Imagine the fight Cameron would have internally to get every MP to turn up to every major vote if Labour made a point of the issue rather than appeasement?  That's where Harman, Burnham and Cooper have it all wrong with their misplaced abstain whip and the support of it.  A bit of pressure and it'll be the Tories tearing themselves apart because the cynical ones will start asking for concessions to turn up all the time and toe the party line.

And a lesson not learned.  Labour have just said they'll abstain on the Finance Bill.

I really, really don't get it.  Were Labour MPs elected to abstain?

Come on, get rid of Harman now, just send her packing to the back benches and put an "absent" sign up on her front-bench seat.  I genuinely hope that Harman isn't having the gall to take her Leader of the Opposition extra pay...

And a lesson not learned.  Labour have just said they'll abstain on the Finance Bill.

I really, really don't get it.  Were Labour MPs elected to abstain?

Come on, get rid of Harman now, just send her packing to the back benches and put an "absent" sign up on her front-bench seat.  I genuinely hope that Harman isn't having the gall to take her Leader of the Opposition extra pay...

The other, decent, Labour MPs must be ripping their hair out in frustration. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

The other, decent, Labour MPs must be ripping their hair out in frustration. 

It's interesting to see the Speaker putting up a better opposition than the Labour front bench!  That Bercow bloke could grow on me if he keeps up that sort of attitude to the Tories...