Kingstone Press Championship: Leigh 40 Dewsbury 24

MirfieldRams

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So we play them on the Wednesday before the Batley game rather than the Wednesday before their cup game. How much input did we have into this decision?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

So we play them on the Wednesday before the Batley game rather than the Wednesday before their cup game. How much input did we have into this decision?

So we travel to Whitehaven on the Sunday

Then leigh on the Wednesday

Then home to the dogs

What can you say??

Might be 1 out of the last 7 we win

Nowt like doing things the hard way ;)

Actually there is a much more serious principle at stake here and I doubt that the RFL have realised this.

In an entirely hypothetical context if Leigh were to lose to us before their cup game then that result would likely to be relatively unimportant. It shouldn't ease us into the top four if other games go to plan and it shouldn't materially affect Leigh's position going into the middle eight play-offs. All teams involved in the middle eights start that competition on zero points so there should be no ramifications.

If we were to get a physical hammering three days before playing Batley it might well hand them the match on a plate. For teams in the bottom eight the points earned in the first 23 games are carried forward into that league so,ultimately, the points earned in matches like this could determine who is relegated at the end of the season.

Far reaching impacts from just one rearranged game are possible in the new set up.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Actually there is a much more serious principle at stake here and I doubt that the RFL have realised this.

In an entirely hypothetical context if Leigh were to lose to us before their cup game then that result would likely to be relatively unimportant. It shouldn't ease us into the top four if other games go to plan and it shouldn't materially affect Leigh's position going into the middle eight play-offs. All teams involved in the middle eights start that competition on zero points so there should be no ramifications.

If we were to get a physical hammering three days before playing Batley it might well hand them the match on a plate. For teams in the bottom eight the points earned in the first 23 games are carried forward into that league so,ultimately, the points earned in matches like this could determine who is relegated at the end of the season.

Far reaching impacts from just one rearranged game are possible in the new set up.

I take it your on the flight home and have far too much time on your hands lol

Seriously.... your correct

I thought their was certain rules on the timescale or rearranged games

We had to travel to Workington midweek

In a relatively short turnaround time between games

But yet leigh have the luxury of a month to rearrange fixtures

Surely playing on the Wednesday before or the Wednesday after their cup game vs Warrington would be more in line

With the rearranged game at Workington

After looking at leigh's remaining fixtures

The penny drops on why our game has been arranged for that date

Leigh's season and league finish depends on 1 game... Bradford away, win that their champions, lose their 2nd

Their keeping a undusruptive weekly game up to the Bradford game..our tie has been arranged for 4 days later and then they finish off against bottom team Doncaster

If our game had been squeezed in before the Bradford game it could mean hard games in 4 days with the likes of us,Featherstone, Sheffield

And Bradford is their do or die game

And they wouldn't wanna jeopardise that.

Don't forget Coolie, Leigh play at a Council Owned Ground

and can only use it when they are allowed. That is probably also the reason

why there has to be a break before the Fixtures can be sorted for the 'Eights'.

Ground availability will be a problem for such as Leigh, Sheffield,

Halifax, Doncaster and London. While the others with their own Stadiums just

have to fit in with the arrangements.

I also think there is a Football Tournament at LSV during the week after

the scheduled date in June.

• 1 month later...

With the squad for this game announced on Monday,will be interesting to see who Glenn will rest,if any.For me the Bulldogs game will always be out priority,win this one and sixth place is ours.This is what the club set out for at the start of the season.Rest as many players as possible,let our very talented reserves players take center stage for this game.

What about the fans who are travelling over and paying hard earned money in the process? (Petrol/admission/etc)

I've watched our reserves all season, and there are some good lads.

Maybe Muranka and the Delaney's deserve a chance due to excellent performances.

But all things considered, we should be keeping a settled side.

Two wins and you could overhall Fev. Worth throwing everything at Leigh who will win the title regardless?

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Well said PM, the prospect of 5th place has been like the proverbial elephant in the room on this forum. It would be massive to clinch 5th from Feb, it will be very interesting to see Leigh's squad for the midweek game.

Well said PM, the prospect of 5th place has been like the proverbial elephant in the room on this forum. It would be massive to clinch 5th from Feb, it will be very interesting to see Leigh's squad for the midweek game.

Rest a few and give at least muranka, Delaney J and Sam Dunn a run out.

We could play the same team both games and loose both. Been done before me thinks.

My point would be that playing these three wouldn't even weaken the team. It merely gives a few of the lads a rest.

Leigh have now clinched first place in the table, for whatever that's worth, and their total concentration as a club will now be upon succeeding in the Qualifier eights. I suspect that they will put of a significantly weak side on Wednesday and spend the next couple of weeks on easing a number of aching limbs aiming to achieve peak fitness and preparedness at the games commencing on August 9th.

For us there is more to play for as the points accrued in this league are carried forward into the Shield eights and could be the difference between finishing in the top two or below there. Finishing 1st or 2nd would mean an extra £25k for our playing budget next year.

We did have a couple of players leaving the pitch with knocks and injuries yesterday though. Add to this the fact that we have postponed our A team match until the following week and I expect our squad to be leavened with a significant number of second team players.

Finishing 1st or 2nd would mean an extra £25 for our playing budget next year.

Wow :onthequiet: I'll give you £25 if your that strapped at the side of the valley

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Expect to see aizue, Muranka, Hyde, glover, james Delaney, Sam Dunn and maybe even the young lad we've just signed from wakey in either of the squads over the next 2 announced squads, and the return of Shane Grady, who was running the water Sunday. Will leigh rest afew too?

I reckon luke adamson may be due a rest Wednesday, replace him with Muranka.. Grady in for crookes... Hyde for fieldhouse if suspended? ... Keep thacks and Seymour.. James Delaney for wildie?? Auzue for heppy

Ryan Fieldhouse isn't suspended. Wasn't charged by the disciplinary panel.

Tom

Archived