Bradford carry last hope of SL entry

YOUNG UN

Good point. Like you say introduce some kind of relegation, bottom 2/4 swap with the likes of Keighley, York, Oldham etc, therefore it also gets rid of the dullness in the bottom 8s.

Just feel teams should face a punishment for defeat, not just feel 'oh well.'

We've lost to Haven and worst of all Doncaster in the eights.

I do think Doncaster would have been more competitive if they had have started from zero. Must of been horrible on 2 points, just sitting there fighting the inevitable. Could have brought in some new players, already had a new coach, could have worked.

TBH I agree the bottom 8s have been kind of dead rubbers for fev dews and London but the funding they got was worth it IMO. I would much rather have dead rubbers and the funding than be avoiding relegation. I think the bottom 8s is run the best way it can be to be honest and I think the RFL maybe expected our bottom 8s to be closer than it was but who knows. I honestly can't see a way around the bottom 8s system than the one we already have in place to make it any fairer to be honest.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TBH I agree the bottom 8s have been kind of dead rubbers for fev dews and London but the funding they got was worth it IMO. I would much rather have dead rubbers and the funding than be avoiding relegation. I think the bottom 8s is run the best way it can be to be honest and I think the RFL maybe expected our bottom 8s to be closer than it was but who knows. I honestly can't see a way around the bottom 8s system than the one we already have in place to make it any fairer to be honest.

We can't judge the system simply on the basis of one season. It is perfectly reasonable to speculate that in another season the bottom eights might be closer and more competitive. Give it at least another two years before tinkering.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

We can't judge the system simply on the basis of one season. It is perfectly reasonable to speculate that in another season the bottom eights might be closer and more competitive. Give it at least another two years before tinkering.

No a tinker isn't needed yet, but if we have another Doncaster then maybe it's time for a rethink.

There is also the problem, which we could speak about all day, that Fev and Dewsbury are in the position of being too good for the bottom 8s and way off for the tops 8s and by not been able to play Sheff/Halifax (teams both sides could beat on their day) in a play-off style system, we are stuck playing the likes of Hunslet and Batley, which isn't as exciting. 

No a tinker isn't needed yet, but if we have another Doncaster then maybe it's time for a rethink.

There is also the problem, which we could speak about all day, that Fev and Dewsbury are in the position of being too good for the bottom 8s and way off for the tops 8s and by not been able to play Sheff/Halifax (teams both sides could beat on their day) in a play-off style system, we are stuck playing the likes of Hunslet and Batley, which isn't as exciting.

Exactly. I don't think any of us expected Doncaster to crumple like they did this season. Had they not then the bottom eights would have been more exciting all round.

The real challenge will come for the clubs to be promoted from C1 this year. Let's hope that they are reasonably competitive (i.e. beat some others but not us.)

I wouldn't be complacent about our position either - we are losing some key players and it is challenging to build a squad the equal of this year's.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Is this the same Doncaster who, along with those other useless no marks whitehaven and Hunslet, have given us a good hiding this season ? The Doncaster who only lost at our gaff because of a dodgy refereeing decision ? There but for the grace of god go us - and no, actually we aren't too good for the bottom eight, not by along chalk.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

Is this the same Doncaster who, along with those other useless no marks whitehaven and Hunslet, have given us a good hiding this season ? The Doncaster who only lost at our gaff because of a dodgy refereeing decision ? There but for the grace of god go us - and no, actually we aren't too good for the bottom eight, not by along chalk.

Hey up someone's woke up. Read the conversation before typing. We were speaking about the league in general. But yes Grumps it's the same Doncaster that only won one game in regular league. Same Doncaster who are going down on 4 points - that the same Doncaster?

As for us. We've beat every team in our eights at least once, then we've got Fev twice, Batley three times, Donny twice, Workington twice, London three times, Hunslet twice. Not bad going, surely next stop is trying to bridge the gap between us and the top four? We're too good for the bottom eights I truly believe.

Hey up someone's woke up. Read the conversation before typing. We were speaking about the league in general. But yes Grumps it's the same Doncaster that only won one game in regular league. Same Doncaster who are going down on 4 points - that the same Doncaster?

As for us. We've beat every team in our eights at least once, then we've got Fev twice, Batley three times, Donny twice, Workington twice, London three times, Hunslet twice. Not bad going, surely next stop is trying to bridge the gap between us and the top four? We're too good for the bottom eights I truly believe.

your beginning to sound like a Halifax supporter....and you've only been around 4 months......calm down....

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" ....Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865..

Nobody is too good for the bottom 8s IMO if your in the bottom 8s your in it for a reason and that's because your not good enough to be in the middle 8s that season.Fev finished the regular season 5th so on that basis they are the best of the bottom 8s but not good enough to be in the middle 8s but I wouldn't say fev are the best of the bottom 8s by any means. Any of the bottom 8 teams could beat each other on any given day. Apart from Doncaster the rest have been very competitive this season IMO.

your beginning to sound like a Halifax supporter....and you've only been around 4 months......calm down....

Yep, that Sunny Delight should be rationed shouldn't it?

The Doncaster that gave us a right royal thumping then. I'm not sure exactly which world you live in  - presumably one where troubles melt like lemon drops way up above the chimney tops, but down here on planet earth, even the coach has admitted we haven't played anywhere near our potential so far this season (although winning despite playing badly is the sign of a good side apparently). So the concept we deserve our own little division, along with Fev, somewhere between the SL wannabes and the dross, is frankly laughable.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

The Doncaster that gave us a right royal thumping then. I'm not sure exactly which world you live in - presumably one where troubles melt like lemon drops way up above the chimney tops, but down here on planet earth, even the coach has admitted we haven't played anywhere near our potential so far this season (although winning despite playing badly is the sign of a good side apparently). So the concept we deserve our own little division, along with Fev, somewhere between the SL wannabes and the dross, is frankly laughable.

Let's not put words into people's mouths. Because I have never suggested us and Fev need our own little division.

Said were not good enough for top 4, and too good for 8s - which is my opinion, this is a forum isn't it?

And playing bad and still winning games - which I presume you're saying GM has said - backs up my opinion.

Doncaster give us 'a royal thumping' and yet we only lost by 13 points? wouldn't describe that as a thumping. But if you're talking about performance, and our own performance was terrible - which many said last Sunday - then losing by 13 points isn't such bad going.

Anyways we'll see where we are at in two weeks time.

Let's not put words into people's mouths. Because I have never suggested us and Fev need our own little division.

Said were not good enough for top 4, and too good for 8s - which is my opinion, this is a forum isn't it?

And playing bad and still winning games - which I presume you're saying GM has said - backs up my opinion.

Doncaster give us 'a royal thumping' and yet we only lost by 13 points? wouldn't describe that as a thumping. But if you're talking about performance, and our own performance was terrible - which many said last Sunday - then losing by 13 points isn't such bad going.

Anyways we'll see where we are at in two weeks time.

And that's why at this present time this new system as made 3 leagues in one or some would say 4 leagues in one. You have Leigh Bulls who are ahead of the rest. Then you have Eagles fax fev and dews and I'm guessing London next season fighting for 3rd and 4th. Then you have Batley town haven Oldham and one other fighting to stay up and the cycle will continue probably every season unless a club aquires a rich man/woman or the funding gets filtered down more evenly.

And that's why at this present time this new system as made 3 leagues in one or some would say 4 leagues in one. You have Leigh Bulls who are ahead of the rest. Then you have Eagles fax fev and dews and I'm guessing London next season fighting for 3rd and 4th. Then you have Batley town haven Oldham and one other fighting to stay up and the cycle will continue probably every season unless a club aquires a rich man/woman or the funding gets filtered down more evenly.

These days I am not sure we can even make predictions into the next season.  There are just too many player movements at all the teams...

OK, this season we have comfortably avoided relegation and never looked likely to miss out on the play offs but next year??  Who knows??

We will have no Thacks, maybe no seymour, maybe no Grady, maybe no Etu, without these guys my guess is we will be battling ALL the teams in the Championship and can take nothing for granted...

These days I am not sure we can even make predictions into the next season. There are just too many player movements at all the teams...

OK, this season we have comfortably avoided relegation and never looked likely to miss out on the play offs but next year?? Who knows??

We will have no Thacks, maybe no seymour, maybe no Grady, maybe no Etu, without these guys my guess is we will be battling ALL the teams in the Championship and can take nothing for granted...

Yes I see where your coming from Nick but you get my point the funding won't allow much if any movement in the league positions under this present system IMO.

The relegation dogfight in the bottom 8s has been more exciting than finishing top or trying to make the play offs.

Yes true but I bet your chairman would disagree lol.The funding is where it's at not entertaining games in these bottom 8s and survival is paramount too. I'm sure batleys chairman would swap league positions with your club if it meant his club wasn't in the relegation battle no matter how dull the games were and the funding which goes with swapping league positions.

The relegation dogfight in the bottom 8s has been more exciting than finishing top or trying to make the play offs.

you'll enjoy next season then ;)

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Not if you were in the dogfight. ;)

George Bernard Shaw.

Not if you were in the dogfight. ;)

I think you would find hanging from a cliff by your fingernails exciting Grumpy. Not enjoyable but exciting.

I think you would find hanging from a cliff by your fingernails exciting Grumpy. Not enjoyable but exciting.

Point taken - however unless excitement is brown and lumpy I doubt I'd be excited as such. Still, best not stray off topic eh ? Don't want to upset sergeant major Marketram.  :onthequiet:

George Bernard Shaw.

Just because I don't sit in the HRH North Stand, nor do I call for back up when someone puts up an opposing post on a forum.

These metaphors you lot create are dire and your attempts at trying to belittle other supporters is just pathetic.

Aw bless !

George Bernard Shaw.

Archived