2016 breakout year&unknown star

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So it's the off-season(boo!!!) and I'm bored so I thought I'd start a thread before somebody else does about the young talented players coming through at your club or any other club that you think could be a huge star in the making. As a saints fan I think that Andre savelio could be about to put in some serious minutes in the '16 SL season and really push for inclusion in the England 2016 4nations squad. I'm also very excited about the welsh trio of Morgan knowles, Calvin Wellington and especially regan grace. This kid is an absolute flyer and could be huge for not only saints but the welsh national side.

I'm also hoping that Oliver Gildart continues his promising form at Wigan and that Ryan Hampshire gets a lot of game time at Cas. Other players I like the look of are Toby king at Warrington, jarred Simpson at Huddersfield, Aston Golding at Leeds and hull's Jordan Abdul and Reece dean.

What a great thread! Well done Walter for starting it.

I look forward to seeing how some of the names mentioned on here fare.

It's an interesting dynamic how some players seem to have a great start to their careers and then for some reason their star seems to wane.

Jordan Abdul looks like a player that could step up to the plate.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

What a great thread! Well done Walter for starting it.

I look forward to seeing how some of the names mentioned on here fare.

It's an interesting dynamic how some players seem to have a great start to their careers and then for some reason their star seems to wane.

Jordan Abdul looks like a player that could step up to the plate.

Thanks Bearman, I'm also looking forward to seeing how Jordan Abdul progresses as from what I've seen so far from him looks very promising and like a few people on here have said he reminds me of Paul Cooke in terms of rugby brain, ball skills and physique. Cooke like Abdul stated his career as a stand off but moved into the loose forward role and that's where I can see Abdul moving to eventually.

Agree with the comment about Abdul, but it is what he does on the pitch after lunch that counts.

Agree to a point as like Paul Cooke who had a great career with Hull FC but could/should have been a England/GB regular. If Abdul can shed a few pounds and put in the effort off the pitch he could go that next step further than Cooke did on the international stage.

Although he's not an unknown and has already broke through and established himself as a Leeds 1st team player I think that a injury free season for stevie ward could see him challenge for a place in England's starting 17 for next years 4nations.

I dont see it being a breakout year for anyone at Saints in 2016 to be honest. They've got a fairly settled squad and the new players they've brought in already have a few years 1st team experience. There's probably 5 youngsters who are on the fringes and could get some 1st team game time this year, Danny Richardson, Jack Ashworth, Morgan Knowles, Regan Grace and Levy Nzoungou.

Knowles & Grace played for Wales last month so have already had a taste of playing at a higher level and Ashworth spent most of last season at Rochdale gaining experience so probably isn't too far off.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Richardson goes in the next few seasons. I have a feeling there will be more than one occasion where I curse Widnes's bad treatment of him.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Richardson goes in the next few seasons. I have a feeling there will be more than one occasion where I curse Widnes's bad treatment of him.

What did Widnes do ?

I know Saints signed him from Halton Hornets but I wasn't aware that Widnes had any previous involvement with him.

He's certainly the most promising young half back Saints have had in years (probably since Eastmond). He's got an old head on young shoulders and has really good game management skills for such a young lad. If anything he reminds me very much of Kevin Sinfield in that he's not flashy or eye catching but has a great kicking game and knows how to move the team around the field and call the right plays. Not sure he'll get too much 1st team game time this year, I think 2017 will be his breakout year.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

He was at Widnes before he went to Saints. He wanted to play for his hometown club like his dad but while he was there he was treated appallingly by the coaching staff at the time. Saints came in for him (as they had done the previous year when he turned them down in favour of Widnes) and as he felt unable to stay at Widnes off he went. Can't say I blame him - anyone would have done the same. Once he moved to saints he started to enjoy his rugby again after having had thoughts of walking away from playing as the situation was so bad....!

I love my club, but I also know they have made mistakes. And their youth system hasn't always been top class.

quite....I remember the incredulity of my Dad and others involved at West Bank that, at a time when all the neighbouring towns were scouting and making offers to the promising players in my little brother's team in the mid-late 90's, no one at Widnes ever bothered to come down and have a look......they are notorious for missing/ignoring what's under their noses.....I was hoping that was all well in the past......

Not a breakout or unknown star but I think we'll see the "old" Escaré back.

With Taylor, Horo and Stewart there are too much offloading players to not see him shine.

Anymore young French talent coming through?

What about the 17 year old scrum half. Albert?

quite....I remember the incredulity of my Dad and others involved at West Bank that, at a time when all the neighbouring towns were scouting and making offers to the promising players in my little brother's team in the mid-late 90's, no one at Widnes ever bothered to come down and have a look......they are notorious for missing/ignoring what's under their noses.....I was hoping that was all well in the past......

Well Widnes' mistakes are definately Saints gain.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

I don't think so... we might see a bit of Margalet if injuries are back again.

Albert is behind Carney, Myler, Bosc and possibly Gigot so... probably not.

I guess there's plenty of time of Albert being only 17 but from what I've read he sounds like a real talent. What position is margalet?

I guess there's plenty of time of Albert being only 17 but from what I've read he sounds like a real talent. What position is margalet?

Albert is really good, manhandled England U18-19 and was man of the match in all of the 3 tests if I remember correctly. Had 2 decent games for a 17 years old at professionnal level, especially in defense (had 27 tackles and missed 3 in 2 games which is excellent). He's got quick feet and a good bit of pace too. If he can bulk up a bit, and there's enough time for him to do so, he could be a devastating runner.

Margalet is a loose forward, looks a lot like Casty. 

Another guy going great guns in Elite but that probably won't play if not for injuries is Ugo Perez. 

Watch out for Benjamin Jullien (second row or centre, Warrington) and Levy Nzoungou, born in 1998, already 6ft1 and 215lbs so high chances he'll be huge at 20yo and the "worst" thing is that he was the 3rd fastest guy at Toulouse Olympique Juniors, he's a real prospect. Hopefully, Jullien, Nzoungou and Albert will be ready for the next world cup. 

Albert is really good, manhandled England U18-19 and was man of the match in all of the 3 tests if I remember correctly. Had 2 decent games for a 17 years old at professionnal level, especially in defense (had 27 tackles and missed 3 in 2 games which is excellent). He's got quick feet and a good bit of pace too. If he can bulk up a bit, and there's enough time for him to do so, he could be a devastating runner.

Margalet is a loose forward, looks a lot like Casty. 

Another guy going great guns in Elite but that probably won't play if not for injuries is Ugo Perez. 

Watch out for Benjamin Jullien (second row or centre, Warrington) and Levy Nzoungou, born in 1998, already 6ft1 and 215lbs so high chances he'll be huge at 20yo and the "worst" thing is that he was the 3rd fastest guy at Toulouse Olympique Juniors, he's a real prospect. Hopefully, Jullien, Nzoungou and Albert will be ready for the next world cup.

Tony smith was quoted as saying jullien will get some game time at Warrington and nzoungou got a 1st team squad number at saints. Am I right in thinking Catalans signed the kid who was playing u20's down under for the roosters. Polish sounding name, plays in the back row?

Tony smith was quoted as saying jullien will get some game time at Warrington and nzoungou got a 1st team squad number at saints. Am I right in thinking Catalans signed the kid who was playing u20's down under for the roosters. Polish sounding name, plays in the back row?

I would be happy to see them playing in Super League!

Yes you're right, we signed Alex Mickalezyk from Roosters U20. He's supposed to play at the U19 though because he's still 18. 

I would be happy to see them playing in Super League!

Yes you're right, we signed Alex Mickalezyk from Roosters U20. He's supposed to play at the U19 though because he's still 18.

Cool. If all these young players develop and kick on from their potential France could have their best side I've ever known in following RL for over 25 years. Let's hope they do for France and international RL sake.

Archived