2016 breakout year&unknown star

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joe Bretherton is an unknown who could become a star if he can get a run in the first team at Wigan, he has the size and ability to make it big.

Also, I hope Hampshire does well at Cas. He is a better player than Williams imo.

Everything under the sun is in tune

But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

Joe Bretherton is an unknown who could become a star if he can get a run in the first team at Wigan, he has the size and ability to make it big.

Also, I hope Hampshire does well at Cas. He is a better player than Williams imo.

Hampshire needs to be given time playing at stand off. If he's given a run of games at 6 I'm sure his talent will shine through for us all to see. Bit of a clever move by Wigan sending him to Cas.

At Wigan there's usually at least one youngster who makes a breakthrough. Last season we were lucky enough to have Williams making a name for himself, Manfredi establishing himself as a first team regular and Gildart making his debut and retaining his place in the side.

Of the youngsters called up to the first team squad, Bretherton and Gregson are forwards with real potential. Bretherton is a big, powerful runner with decent pace. Gregson is a ball playing back row forward with the skills of a halfback and a great work rate. The downside for both of them is they are injury prone.

Gabriel Fell was the U19's player of the year and is a very smart, elusive and consistent fullback who can bring his teammates into play (something that should already put him ahead of Lewis Tierney in my opinion). However, Wane will probably favour Tierney or Sarginson as fullbacks in Tomkins' absence but Fell has an outside chance.

The Wigan player who I think has the best chance of making a name for himself is Luke Waterworth. At the moment Wigan have one regular hooker in McIlorum and Powell as cover at hooker and the halves. An injury to either McIlorum, Smith or Williams opens the door for Waterworth and for me he's the most impressive of the Wigan youngsters. His distribution from dummy half is the most accurate I've seen from a young hooker in years, he's got excellent vision, makes good decisions and is a threat taking the line on. He may be quite small and looks about 12, but he's a tough defender and had no problems dealing with the 18 stone monsters in the Aussie 'schoolboys' team last year. He made a big difference when he came off the bench and could make a name for himself next year if he gets the chance.

Angus Crichton is my pick, He's an Australian RU school boy star who South's managed to snag last year I've

seen a bit of him & if he has some luck with injuries 2016 will be a big year for this guy. How the Rabbitohs managed to lure

this kid over I'll never know as I've meet his parents & you would be hard pressed to find more staunch RU

people in Australia than them.

Angus Crichton is my pick, He's an Australian RU school boy star who South's managed to snag last year I've

seen a bit of him & if he has some luck with injuries 2016 will be a big year for this guy. How the Rabbitohs managed to lure

this kid over I'll never know as I've meet his parents & you would be hard pressed to find more staunch RU

people in Australia than them.

Sam Burgess helps South Sydney re-sign Schoolboy rugby star Angus Crichton

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/sam-burgess-helps-south-sydney-re-sign-schoolboy-rugby-star-angus-crichton/story-fn2mcuj6-1227678362442

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Angus Crichton is my pick, He's an Australian RU school boy star who South's managed to snag last year I'veseen a bit of him & if he has some luck with injuries 2016 will be a big year for this guy. How the Rabbitohs managed to lurethis kid over I'll never know as I've meet his parents & you would be hard pressed to find more staunch RUpeople in Australia than them.

His parents aren't Scottish are they?? Maybe Steve McCormick should have a word ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

16yr old Danny Walker will be one to watch in our squad over the next couple of yrs....came on against Warrington at xmas for the last 10mins and put in a decent stint in defence against guys twice his size...his doggedness, movement and speed reminded me of the Hulme brothers

16yr old Danny Walker will be one to watch in our squad over the next couple of yrs....came on against Warrington at xmas for the last 10mins and put in a decent stint in defence against guys twice his size...his doggedness, movement and speed reminded me of the Hulme brothers

I believe Olly Ashall is one for the future as well.

So with the new super league season drawing closer I'm going to go for wigan centre Oliver Gildart to be the "breakout" star of 2016 and saints welsh winger regan grace to be the 2016 "unknown star."

Also special mentions to Andre savelio and Ben currie in pushing for places in England's starting 17 for the 2016 4nations.

Agree with you about Savelio and Currie. that's if Andre declares himself available for England. He played for England at youth level.

I hope that Stevie Ward makes a speedy return from injury because I have high expectations for him too.

So with the new super league season drawing closer I'm going to go for wigan centre Oliver Gildart to be the "breakout" star of 2016 and saints welsh winger regan grace to be the 2016 "unknown star."

I'm not sure Grace will get much 1st team game time in 2016 unless there's a glut of injuries to wingers. He's only been at Saints 18 months and is still pretty 'green', but I have to say where he is now compared to when he joined in phenominal, he's improved out of sight. He's a natural finisher with unbelievable pace but needs to work a bit more on some of the technical elements like his positioning and defensive decision making. I'd say 2017 is more likely to be his breakout year.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

I'm not sure Grace will get much 1st team game time in 2016 unless there's a glut of injuries to wingers. He's only been at Saints 18 months and is still pretty 'green', but I have to say where he is now compared to when he joined in phenominal, he's improved out of sight. He's a natural finisher with unbelievable pace but needs to work a bit more on some of the technical elements like his positioning and defensive decision making. I'd say 2017 is more likely to be his breakout year.

True but when I say "breakout" year I'm talking about players who have maybe played a dozen or so 1st team games the previous seasons who then go on to nail a regular staring place in the 17 the following season like a joe burgess in 2014 or Liam sutcliffe. While an "unknown star" could be a player like huddersfields jarred Simpson or wigans Oliver Gildart who make their debuts and then maybe went onto play 3-4 games in the season.

Archived