2016 breakout year&unknown star

So it's the off-season(boo!!!) and I'm bored so I thought I'd start a thread before somebody else does about the young talented players coming through at your club or any other club that you think could be a huge star in the making. As a saints fan I think that Andre savelio could be about to put in some serious minutes in the '16 SL season and really push for inclusion in the England 2016 4nations squad. I'm also very excited about the welsh trio of Morgan knowles, Calvin Wellington and especially regan grace. This kid is an absolute flyer and could be huge for not only saints but the welsh national side.

I'm also hoping that Oliver Gildart continues his promising form at Wigan and that Ryan Hampshire gets a lot of game time at Cas. Other players I like the look of are Toby king at Warrington, jarred Simpson at Huddersfield, Aston Golding at Leeds and hull's Jordan Abdul and Reece dean.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I' looking forward to seeing how Lewis Tierney goes at FB for Wigan in Tomkins' absence. He is lightning fast and will surprise a few people.[/quote

]

Don't really know much about him to be honest and Was going to say that he could be a bit of a late developer but he's still only 20-21 years old isn't he? Was on DR at Workington town I think.

I' looking forward to seeing how Lewis Tierney goes at FB for Wigan in Tomkins' absence. He is lightning fast and will surprise a few people.[/quote

]

Don't really know much about him to be honest and Was going to say that he could be a bit of a late developer but he's still only 20-21 years old isn't he? Was on DR at Workington town I think.

He's been on the fringes at Wigan for a while now. Maybe he's a late developer, maybe he's not quite up to scratch. It'll be interesting to see Wigan's backs, with him working alongside Manfredi (building on good 2015 performances), plus Charnley and Gelling both (hopefully) back to full fitness.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Will Maher at Cas. Played a few first team games last season and didn't look out of place. Expecting him to break through as a regular this year.

Another good young Cumbrian forward, isn't he about 6'7?

Hope there is a decent scrum half ready to burst onto the scene somewhere as England could do with one. My mad Hull FC mate keeps banging on about Reece dean so that's why I mentioned him without really knowing much about him, says he scores tries for fun in the academy.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Savelio make the England squad next year.

I had some hope for Abdull but I see they've given him the 13 shirt. He's got "Trent Barrett" written all over him and they give the 6 shirt to Leon Pryce?!?@?#?$?#?@!? Can anyone explain to me why Leon Pryce can still get a 1st Div contract?

Not sure he wants it. He still hasn't declared his country as he qualifies for England, NZ and Samoa. Mcbanana missed a trick not including him in the squad this year and a good year in 2016 could see him go to one of the others, especially as he's already said he wants to try the NRL in the future.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Not sure he wants it. He still hasn't declared his country as he qualifies for England, NZ and Samoa. Mcbanana missed a trick not including him in the squad this year and a good year in 2016 could see him go to one of the others, especially as he's already said he wants to try the NRL in the future.

That's a tactic that the kiwis use when a promising young player qualifies for both NZ and Australia. They even offer talented youngsters the chance just to train and be around the squad even if they aren't picked. They did this with one of the NRL's hottest talents in the cowboys 17 year old fullback Kalyan ponga who was born on Australia but has kiwi parents.

I'm excited to see Jordan Lilley play in his position of scrum half more this year. He's not a hooker where he played without distinction this year. He excelled vs the Kiwis in the halves and should get more game time with only McGuire and Sutcliffe in his way. A very similar player to McGuire mind. I'm also expecting a big season from Sutcliffe, hoping he really steps up in Sinfield's absence.

Also hope Baldwinson can make an impression

I had some hope for Abdull but I see they've given him the 13 shirt. He's got "Trent Barrett" written all over him and they give the 6 shirt to Leon Pryce?!?@?#?$?#?@!? Can anyone explain to me why Leon Pryce can still get a 1st Div contract?

Have you been drinking? Comparing Jordan Abdull to Trent Barrett? That's like comparing Greg Eden to Billy Slater.............wow. I also think he's nothing like Barrett as a player. I'm guessing they couldn't find a number 6 shirt big enough for him though.......... ;) . Although in reality seniority always dictates squad numbers and the incumbent is Pryce so they were never going to demote him in his final season

That's a tactic that the kiwis use when a promising young player qualifies for both NZ and Australia. They even offer talented youngsters the chance just to train and be around the squad even if they aren't picked. They did this with one of the NRL's hottest talents in the cowboys 17 year old fullback Kalyan ponga who was born on Australia but has kiwi parents.

Is Kaylan the son of Quentin Pongia? I don't mind poaching where there's a father/son link. Especially as Quentin played 35 Tests for the NZers, so he wasn't just a squad filler. If he's Quentin's son he also has an aunt who played RL for NZ.

Have you been drinking? Comparing Jordan Abdull to Trent Barrett?

No I meant in style rather than quality. One of Trent's strengths was that he didn't have to pass the ball. He could run through a lot of defenders. If he does go to the pack I still don't like the 13. (This is probably an NRL/SL cultural difference. An NRL 13 is a spare prop. It's the back rowers who have the higher skill levels.)

Is Kaylan the son of Quentin Pongia? I don't mind poaching where there's a father/son link. Especially as Quentin played 35 Tests for the NZers, so he wasn't just a squad filler. If he's Quentin's son he also has an aunt who played RL for NZ.

No, his name is Ponga, not Pongia.

No I meant in style rather than quality. One of Trent's strengths was that he didn't have to pass the ball. He could run through a lot of defenders. If he does go to the pack I still don't like the 13. (This is probably an NRL/SL cultural difference. An NRL 13 is a spare prop. It's the back rowers who have the higher skill levels.)

Yeh over here traditionally the 13 is considered to have better hands/skills than the second rows.....it's not so much these days but they used to be see as an extra pivot, like a bigger, slower stand-off but with slightly less silky skills and tackles more....over here I'd say the 2nd rows are more of a spare prop - there's not much between them size-wise (these days) but they tend to run out wider and be used as dummy runners or a short-ball/2nd option when you're close to the opponents line

Is abdull big enough to play in the pack though? Surprised to see him lose out to Leon Pryce as he'd shown a fair bit of promise

It's a recent trend everywhere - 13s being basically front rowers, only slightly more mobile and skillful than props. Australia has a great recent history of locks such as Fittler, Smith, Dymock, Scott Hill and Greg Bird who were basically five-eighths. But slowly the role evolved into athletic ball runners, following the Brad Clyde/Ben Kennedy model. That's evolved into the Paul Gallen/Sam Burgess type.

It's a recent trend everywhere - 13s being basically front rowers, only slightly more mobile and skillful than props. Australia has a great recent history of locks such as Fittler, Smith, Dymock, Scott Hill and Greg Bird who were basically five-eighths. But slowly the role evolved into athletic ball runners, following the Brad Clyde/Ben Kennedy model. That's evolved into the Paul Gallen/Sam Burgess type.

"Everywhere" in Oz then based on the examples you gave?.....if you think of some of the recent UK 13's (e.g. Sinfield or O'Loughlin) you'd hardly say they were "spare props"

the chapelow twins will make an impact this season both ted and jay are man mountains with a lot of skill, 

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

"Everywhere" in Oz then based on the examples you gave?.....if you think of some of the recent UK 13's (e.g. Sinfield or O'Loughlin) you'd hardly say they were "spare props"

Sinfield and O'loughlin began their careers at the same time the Australian players I mentioned were going around...Sinfield moved to half/five-eighth for the last 5 years of his career, once locks started to become more like props. Cuthbertson spent a lot of time there this year for Leeds and he's a ball playing prop. O'loughlin plays a high work rate, middle of the field game with a bit of ball playing. Similar style to James Graham, I'd say. Anyway, apologies, gone off topic. All I meant to say is Australia has had its share of great ball playing 13s, up until the recent trend. I think this style of 13 should still have a place, so I hope the Hull kid goes well.

think they'll be blooded this year though as they're needed!.....however,I'd prefer it if we announced a big signing for the pack - this would take the expectation off the likes of the Chapelhows and Whitley and allow them time to develop 

Hoping Gabriel Fell gets a couple of games at fullback, looked very promising for the Wigan youth team last year, Tierney has had a few chances here and there in the Wigan first team and whilst being solid has never, to me, looked good enough to stay there. Has to be a make or break year for Greg Burke too, seems to have spent about 40 years out on loan, will get a few games to prove his ability when Lockers is no doubt injured for half the season, be hard for him with our other back row options though, can't keep them all

Archived