2016 breakout year&unknown star

Neither counts really, and it goes against others' suggestions, but for England's sake I would like to see Tomkins break out as a half back, and Sarginson show what he can do at 1. Fell would be my other one to watch at Wigan.

I'd also like to see Sam Tomkins return to the halves for both Wigan and England. One thing is for sure Wigan will have a lot of options at 1,6 and 7 in the coming years what with Tomkins, tierney, fell maybe sarginson and Hampshire when he returns from Cas all fullback options and in the halves you've got Williams, smith and again Tomkins and Hampshire as options.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it'll be 2 England internationals competing to play alongside him.

Do you think that Ryan Hampshire has a long term future with Wigan and if so in what position? I honestly think it would be criminal for such a talented player to be turned into some sort of versatile backup player.

Really surprised not to hear from Hull FC fans as I think just like in the late 90's-early 00's they have a lot of talented youngsters all of roughly the same age coming through at the same time. Players like Callum Lancaster, jack Logan, Jordan abdull, Harry Tyson-Wilson, Reece dean and jansin turget. They also have that big prop forward with the African sounding name that I won't even try to spell who made his debut at Wigan, he could become a bit of a cult hero that guy.

I rate Hampshire very highly, and hope this year sees him take a step up at Cas. Assuming he gets much game time there.

He got a bad injury at the worst possible time the year before last, which put him behind Powell and Williams. In some ways, he is in the worst place for an emerging half back at Wigan, given the competition around him. But clearly Wigan see massive potential, as they are going out of their way to retain him.

Fingers crossed, this year sees him shine at 6, and we then have the high class problem of where to fit Tomkins, Williams and Hampshire.

Really surprised not to hear from Hull FC fans as I think just like in the late 90's-early 00's they have a lot of talented youngsters all of roughly the same age coming through at the same time. Players like Callum Lancaster, jack Logan, Jordan abdull, Harry Tyson-Wilson, Reece dean and jansin turget. They also have that big prop forward with the African sounding name that I won't even try to spell who made his debut at Wigan, he could become a bit of a cult hero that guy.

Looking forward to seeing Logan and Abdull this year. I always thought both stood out at a younger level but was surprised how well Logan went in first team - always seemed to be on the back of someone making a break last year which we haven't seen from Yeamo for a while. Suspect Abdull will in theory do time at 13 but also expect him to end up in the halves during the obvious times of injury with someone like Manu or even Thomson playing 13. I thought we looked better in attack with Abdull than Westerman anyway. I see Lancaster as a "decent" winger but think he is quite well down the pecking order and Norton might be better seen as the "young" prospect on the wing. Everyone raves(d) about HTW but in the admittedly few academy games I get to he only ever really stood once for me.  Must admit I was suprised how good Motongo looked in first team as again never really saw him shine. For reference best player I have seen in academy last couple of years was Andre Savelio at Saints expect him to be a star this year.

The championship is often not the best place for young lads to cut their teeth, poor refs and poor grounds can create a slow and over physical game they are not suited to,

I agree entirely. 

A few of the disciplinary records of sides in the championship are shocking, dangerous league to play in. 

Jack Logan at Hull FC and Abdull will gradually become a key player this year. Abdull reminds me of a young Paul Cooke in that he clearly has all the skills to be a top player whilst looking 'unorthodox' in shape. He has some great experience to learn from at Hull at the moment and will be key to Hull progressing.

Wild card would be Lancaster for me.

I dont see it being a breakout year for anyone at Saints in 2016 to be honest. They've got a fairly settled squad and the new players they've brought in already have a few years 1st team experience. There's probably 5 youngsters who are on the fringes and could get some 1st team game time this year, Danny Richardson, Jack Ashworth, Morgan Knowles, Regan Grace and Levy Nzoungou.

Knowles & Grace played for Wales last month so have already had a taste of playing at a higher level and Ashworth spent most of last season at Rochdale gaining experience so probably isn't too far off.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

In Australia I think Latrell Mitchell will make his mark at the Roosters.

Saw him when he was over with the Schoolboys last year, he's a beast for this age and rapid, destroyed the Rhinos 19s. Definitely had the makings of a top NRL player to come

Saw him when he was over with the Schoolboys last year, he's a beast for this age and rapid, destroyed the Rhinos 19s. Definitely had the makings of a top NRL player to come

Reminds me of a young Greg Inglis

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T5JsMK5bpE

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

He started as a Winger and has been moved to Fullback in recent times.

If he's half as good as RTS then the roosters and kiwis could have another decent Fullback/winger to pick from.

Latrell Mitchell does look like he's got future NRL, Soo and kangaroo superstar written all over him and if I had to pick a kiwi and English equivalent I'd choose stand off temaire Martin for the kiwis who's just signed for the Penrith panthers who's been a standout in the u20's competition for the last few seasons and for England I'd pick Olivier Gildart who again has from what little I've seen from him got class written all over him. Scores tries for fun in the academy, was voted as player of the series by both English and Aussie officials in a recent academy test series between England and Australia(2014 I think) and is in a great environment at Wigan to develop into a international quality player.

I think James Roberts will have a break out year in Australia at a higher level.

He was named Dally M Center of the year and many did not agree with it but under Wayne Bennett's man management and Coaching I think he will be the number one Australian Test Centre next Year.

The fastest player in the NRL.

https://youtu.be/4dmDyRuIl1I

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

I think Te Maire Martin might see a lot of NRL this year. Peter Wallace was never too popular with coach Griffin at the Broncos and Wallace has already said that he's only one injury away from retiring.

I think James Roberts will have a break out year in Australia at a higher level.

He was named Dally M Center of the year and many did not agree with it but under Wayne Bennett's man management and Coaching I think he will be the number one Australian Test Centre next Year.

The fastest player in the NRL.

https://youtu.be/4dmDyRuIl1I

When did he sign with the Broncos?

Archived