Park Run

12 hours ago, Charlie RL said:

Great to do parkrun last Saturday.  Brilliant turnouts and positive media😀

It was. People were crying at ours!

I absolutely smashed the run as well. Best time in a 5K since 2015 and my 6th best parkrun time ever.

• Like 2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

13 hours ago, henage said:

I volunteered at East Park Hull . Great to be back , very positive atmosphere . 400 ish ran

Good to hear. I'll be doing my volunteering bit at Hastings in a couple of weeks. Missed last week because away and planning on running this Saturday.

It looks like numbers were a bit down but it was only confirmed two days before that it had approval and then only at the last minute was it given the weather all clear. Some familiar names on the results list alongside some new ones, as it should be.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

I now overlook the start of the Hasting Park Run, and the Start/Finish of the Half Marathon (+/- 100m), so from my nice warm comfortable sofa I can observe all the suffering.

Very short park run in Hastings: CasualUK

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, henage said:

It was a good move having all park runs start on the same date . Bet it wasn't an easy task . I will be volunteering again , really enjoyed helping out .  

Looking at the Widnes one, it seems to have been well attended since it reopened. However, some of the less established ones might have struggled. The Strabane one where my in laws live had only 28 on Saturday. With my PB I'd have finished 4th.

Sadly I stopped running in November, really missed Parkrun and other communal events and it was become a real chore getting out. Might start back up again after the summer. 

• Like 1

Two of the three parkruns in Cambridge did not restart, so there was a concern that the one that did might be super busy, but it was still below its attendance record. Judging by the traffic on Saturday, I think a reasonable chunk of the population was driving somewhere for the start of the school holidays and of course a lot of people will be pretty cautious about events with lots of people, even outdoors.

Norn Ireland parkrun restarted earlier than England - looks like quite a few of those running at Strabane were from England though.

3 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Looking at the Widnes one, it seems to have been well attended since it reopened. However, some of the less established ones might have struggled. The Strabane one where my in laws live had only 28 on Saturday. With my PB I'd have finished 4th.

Sadly I stopped running in November, really missed Parkrun and other communal events and it was become a real chore getting out. Might start back up again after the summer. 

Get yourself on that start line and give it your best .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Doesn’t look like much of a run but enjoy anyway. 

The photo, or one like it, does the rounds on the socials every few months.

Running this Saturday, so I'll wave at Bleep, and then handing out tokens the Saturday after so no waving or else I'll drop them all.

Until we finish Saturday morning RL games and training, I reluctantly miss Parkruns in the summer months. I have to admit though, even though I find it torturous (particularly getting out of bed for it!) I was dead jealous of everyone getting a run out last week.

I shall be back in the autumn; I much prefer the cold, damp weather to keep me in fettle.

Edited by Northern Eel
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, gingerjon said:

The photo, or one like it, does the rounds on the socials every few months.

Running this Saturday, so I'll wave at Bleep, and then handing out tokens the Saturday after so no waving or else I'll drop them all.

i somehow managed to reverse token order when handing out in 2019  It haunts me still!  Nevertheless it is great to volunteer.

Mrs tim2 is away this weekend with the car so I walked 7K to Poolsbrook parkrun, ran it in 23.06 (my 4th fastest ever) then ran the 7K home up the hill.

• Like 3

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

On 29/07/2021 at 19:35, Charlie RL said:

i somehow managed to reverse token order when handing out in 2019  It haunts me still!  Nevertheless it is great to volunteer.

Ended up volunteering today. We were out of sync with the timekeepers but it looks like a couple hopped out of the funnel and one guy, for reasons best known to himself, crossed the end twice.

Anyway, all the times were fine in the end.

First run back is thus next week.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I ran at Wollaton Hall in Nottingham on Saturday. A bit hilly so I ran 23.44 - quite pleased with that considering the course and terrain.

It was my 77th different event and I've now completed all the Nottinghamshire events. I've also done all the Derbyshire ones.

• Like 3

Went to Normanby Hall near Scunthorpe for today's parkrun.

What a fabulous venue and an interesting 3 lap course where each lap is different.

Also, a parkrun all-time PB for me of 22.39 - happy days.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tim2 said:

What a fabulous venue and an interesting 3 lap course where each lap is different.

They have quite a few races in Normanby Hall . Curleys race series ? run them . Usually well run / good value . 

On 14/08/2021 at 20:01, tim2 said:

I like the occasional new parkrun and looked at Normanby course map.  It does look a squiggly route! Great PB.  I was lucky to be in Skipton this week but couldn't make PR which looked nice. 

My PB dates to 2017 but i am recently getting near my best age grade at 60% on a hilly course at Rugby.   My regular course this weekend which is flat so maybe break 60%.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Charlie RL said:

I like the occasional new parkrun and looked at Normanby course map.  It does look a squiggly route! Great PB.  I was lucky to be in Skipton this week but couldn't make PR which looked nice. 

My PB dates to 2017 but i am recently getting near my best age grade at 60% on a hilly course at Rugby.   My regular course this weekend which is flat so maybe break 60%.  

It's really interesting as it's three laps in pretty much the same part of the park but they're all different. I did one in Norfolk that was on its winter course which was 5 laps of football pitches. Without my watch I'd have forgotten what lap I was on by the 4th and 5th ones!

My sister lives near Rugby so we're planning to do a few Warwickshire events (Rugby, Bedworth, Coventry, Warwick) over the next year. Sherwood Pines tomorrow - I've been once before and should beat that time. It's got a couple of hills so a parkrun PB is unlikely.

60% WAVA is really good - my wife just broke 60% for the first time and got a PB as well.

I reckon that COVID vaccination was some kind of Bill Gates nanobot experiment because my times and WAVA score have just been unbelievable since parkrun restarted. I broke 70% WAVA having been below 60% before lockdown and failing to run 5K at all back in September. Or, it could be all the training I've done. I ran one of my top 10 10K times in training on Wednesday - normally I need race conditions for really fast times so a 10K race is beckoning. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tim2 said:

I reckon that COVID vaccination was some kind of Bill Gates nanobot experiment because my times and WAVA score have just been unbelievable since parkrun restarted. I broke 70% WAVA having been below 60% before lockdown and failing to run 5K at all back in September. Or, it could be all the training I've done. I ran one of my top 10 10K times in training on Wednesday - normally I need race conditions for really fast times so a 10K race is beckoning. 

If only 🙂

I'm about 2 minutes (24 mins rather than 22 ) slower than pre-lockdown. I don't think my training has changed much over the last 18 months, other than no parkruns and no races. I suspect the lack of race pace explains a bit of the slowdown and the extra few pounds being carried along explains the rest. My highest parkrun WAVA is 66%. 

Best get a 10K race in quick, before whatever it is wears off.

Just now, JonM said:

If only 🙂

I'm about 2 minutes (24 mins rather than 22 ) slower than pre-lockdown. I don't think my training has changed much over the last 18 months, other than no parkruns and no races. I suspect the lack of race pace explains a bit of the slowdown and the extra few pounds being carried along explains the rest. My highest parkrun WAVA is 66%. 

Best get a 10K race in quick, before whatever it is wears off.

I met get a booster jab before the end of the year, being over 60 now.

Sherwood Pines this week, the second time I've done it. 23.27, which is 2 minutes less than my 2015 time. There are a couple of climbs - not steep but fairlly long. The one between 1k and 2K really saps your energy. Pretty much the time I'd hoped for. Excellent Full English in the cafe afterwards.

• Like 2