Half Back

Blind side johnny

See Grumpy's post above - impressing in C1 isn't the same as being decent in Championship. Brad got swatted out of the way by the big lads in two games for us earlier in the season, or was that coavhing at fault?

Tell me Nick - will you be pleased or disappointed when we avoid relegation this season?

right he tackles alot better than kain i reckon give him a go

right he tackles alot better than kain i reckon give him a go

Well Kain hasn't broken any pots in recent games so we could do worse, if his loan period at Doncaster has ended that is. On the other hand giving him the opportunity against a revitalised Bradford team may be asking a lot of him.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Forwards win you matches, backs are the icing on the cake, even half backs. If your pack isn't good enough everything else is a waste of time.

Our pack isn't good enough!!

I think the game has evolved a little since that was true BSJ. Up until recently I would've agreed with you. Last year we had predominantly the same pack as this year yet we weren't winning the games we have this time around. The big difference this year is having centres, no making do with 2nd rowers filling in and having a couple of leaders on the park in Brambani and walker.

I was never sinfields biggest fan,I always thought he was like a typical batley forward of the past... Not quite big enough for a forward and not fast enough as a back. Whilst he is not the only reason Leeds have fallen apart, I reckon losing him is the biggest contributor to there downfall. Warrington are another example when Briers retired.

I think the game has evolved a little since that was true BSJ. Up until recently I would've agreed with you. Last year we had predominantly the same pack as this year yet we weren't winning the games we have this time around. The big difference this year is having centres, no making do with 2nd rowers filling in and having a couple of leaders on the park in Brambani and walker.

I was never sinfields biggest fan,I always thought he was like a typical batley forward of the past... Not quite big enough for a forward and not fast enough as a back. Whilst he is not the only reason Leeds have fallen apart, I reckon losing him is the biggest contributor to there downfall. Warrington are another example when Briers retired.

Opinions all of course DF, but I contend that WITHOUT a decent pack then the backs are all at sea, no matter how good. Combine a good pack (yours is superior this year to last IMO) with decent backs then you have a winning formula, and an organiser (e.g Sinfield) completes the package. A good coach would be the icing on the cake.   :ph34r:

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Very true it is just opinion, but our only change to the pack this season is the addition of walker. He only seems to be spelled during games though. The rest were all here last year. We were rarely beaten in the forwards but couldn't score or close games out if we had managed to get in front by the closing stages. There were so games we lost due to poor game management last year due to being unable to close games out. The big ones were the bulls, Whitehaven and Dews at home where we lost games in the last sets of all those games and it wasn't due to the forwards not winning the battle up the middle, or the coach.

I tend to agree with BSJ on this. Whatever the strengths of our backs, l feel it is the dominance of our forwards that provide them with the opportunity to win games for us. Would Brambani, Southernwood et al be able to capitalise if they were constantly on the back foot?

You can probably get both Ridyard and Reynolds now that Leigh have two Aussies signed up.

Well I do think Leigh have a moral obligation to offer Reynolds  back, if he is surplus to requirements .....  Ridyard, would do nicely too!! .... ah but this is Leigh ..... do they do morals?

Well I do think Leigh have a moral obligation to offer Reynolds back, if he is surplus to requirements ..... Ridyard, would do nicely too!! .... ah but this is Leigh ..... do they do morals?

Reynolds had a better game than drinkwater saturday i'v heard ridyard is injured for 4-6 weeks but we'll see

I tend to agree with BSJ on this. Whatever the strengths of our backs, l feel it is the dominance of our forwards that provide them with the opportunity to win games for us. Would Brambani, Southernwood et al be able to capitalise if they were constantly on the back foot?

apologies I wasn't very clear in my earlier post. The point I was trying to make was, forwards alone are not enough to win games. We were the proof of that last season. I believe we had one of the best packs in the division last year, the only game I remember us really getting beaten up the middle was perhaps leigh away, but even then the tries came from them simply running round us on the outside or through the centres. Yet despite the solid pack, we only just avoided relegation last year.

I do agree with BSJ, forwards set the platform and without that the backs will struggle, but without organisation at hb and players who can finish, that platform is seldom finished off with points. There were so many games where we seemed to be camped in the opposition 20 and never looked like scoring last year. This year we tend to be scoring more often than not once we get in that position.

Looks like we should have signed Sammut after all - he's on fire for Workington..................................................oh!

Archived