England. Confident? This time. If so what's changed

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one that ruined me was 2004. We turned up, having beat the Aussies once in the group stage, me as a hopeful young lad, and by half time I'm just sat trying to work out what the hell just happened! I've never been able to truly believe against the Aussies (when it matters) since then. 

I agree with this.  There was so much hope and expectation in the ground that day and it evaporated so quickly.

It was the only game of Rugby League that I have left at half time as I simply could not be there a moment longer.  I know I should stick it through thick or thin and support my team and so on but I was so down that I couldn't stay there.

Luckily I went out in Leeds with a mate of mine that night and I met a young lady in The Living Room who cheered me up... but that is another story!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Cheers Dunbar! I now have that moment, especially the barge on Gibson, going on a loop in my head!

Always happy to help!  It is the Ricky Stewart dummy that haunts me more than the barge on Gibson.

No wait, it was the whole thing!

I often wonder how international league would have worked out over the last 25 years if that last minute hadn't happened.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Andrew Dixon has gone to Toronto so he's got no chance while he's slumming it in league 1. Shame, as he has had some good games in the qualifiers for us and he's just harming his development spending a year playing the likes of Hemel and Oxford.

I was joking. If Andrew Dixon plays for England I'll start following handball.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Always happy to help!  It is the Ricky Stewart dummy that haunts me more than the barge on Gibson.

No wait, it was the whole thing!

I often wonder how international league would have worked out over the last 25 years if that last minute hadn't happened.

Yeah, I was stood right in front of the incident, it was Lee Jackson who took the dummy, but for mine if Offiah had still been on the field he would have caught Stuart long before the barge on Gibson.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

I agree with this.  There was so much hope and expectation in the ground that day and it evaporated so quickly.

It was the only game of Rugby League that I have left at half time as I simply could not be there a moment longer.  I know I should stick it through thick or thin and support my team and so on but I was so down that I couldn't stay there.

Luckily I went out in Leeds with a mate of mine that night and I met a young lady in The Living Room who cheered me up... but that is another story!

2004 hit me like a bullet train. It literally took me weeks to get over. I couldn't last the full 80 minutes either. I've never left a game before or since but I was out of there with about 15 to go. I was so pumped before that game - I thought it was our time! The Aussies were absolutely flawless.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived