• Australia by 1 to 12 points
    • Draw
    • Scotland by 1 to 12 points
    • Scotland by 13 to 24 points
    • Scotland by 25 points or more

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After thia crowd i really cant see how it could have been any worse in Scotland. Ive watched Scotlanf play in Galashiels v France with 1800 on a cold Friday with literally no coverage or promotion so i cannot believe that 5k at least wouldnt have been achievable nortg of the border

Contempt and laziness Dave; during 2013, the organisers were banging on about the event for months and that you had to go see it; they had player events all over the place and lots of promotion. This hasn't happened except for the last couple of weeks involving England as far as I have seen. It's been half arsed as usual, which is utterly disappointing as their target was to sell out every game. 1m spectators in 2021 is a pipe dream on this showing...

Scotland defended well for 3-4 tackles down the middle , but couldnt hold the aussies out wide .

Stopped the flood of trys by moving up fast but they couldnt do that for long periods .

Like I said the Scotish hooker was worth the entrance fee , top effort .

Got to say -  re heritage players they are needed at this level as anything less than a full time (or close) player going vinto a game like would only get injured as the strengh and speed of the Players is fantastic .

I couldn't agree more.

And yet I still can't understand why only 5000 showed up. If there was a test match taking place in my town, I can't conceive of a scenario in which I would stay at home and watch Graham Norton or whatever instead. Hull is supposed to be one of our genuinely RL-mad cities, and very few could be arsed.

Maybe, but if you think back to other internationals at Hull they don't always sell out nor  is the crowd only from Hull - normally large numbers from outside Hull and across Yorkshire and other parts of the country.

I'm in Leeds and I didn't make the effort, Huddersfield of course taking more attention within the reasonable travel distance for target audience.

Even if in my own area of town if they serve it up in in a poor stadium suggesting they don't care for the fan base why should I be distracted from what I normally have on offer entertainment wise. If the organisers are not arsed about the facilities then why should I.

Got to say -  re heritage players they are needed at this level as anything less than a full time (or close) player going vinto a game like would only get injured as the strengh and speed of the Players is fantastic .

Totally agree. Another reason that heritage players are required is because Scotland does not have any adult Rugby League of it's own to speak of.

The somewhat grandly titled 'National League' is actually a couple of 9-a-side tournaments. The last one attracted the grand total of 3 so-called "clubs".

The number of adults in Scotland who play Rugby League as their primary sport probably numbers about 10 in the entire country.

So yes - Heritage players gets a thumbs up from me too. As far as I can see, Serbia, Jamaica, Germany and Spain all have better developed Rugby League programmes than Scotland.

Is there a place for them in international RL? Sure... in the same way that Morocco can have the occasional hit out using 17 Frenchmen, and Jamaica can add some colour to tournaments using 17 fairly handy blokes from West Yorkshire (and London). But in the qualification process for the 4 Nations? Absolutely not. France Wales and Ireland have all to some extent invested in infrastructure for Rugby League and should be supported in their attempts to grow. Scotland RL does not even have a development officer, and plays "home" games at places like Workington, and this year at a greyhound track in Hull.

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

This is often trotted out but is there any evidence to back it up? Should we ban amateur teams from playing in the Challenge Cup in case they progress and draw a full time pro club?

rldfsignature.jpg

Totally agree. Another reason that heritage players are required is because Scotland does not have any adult Rugby League of it's own to speak of.

The somewhat grandly titled 'National League' is actually a couple of 9-a-side tournaments. The last one attracted the grand total of 3 so-called "clubs".

The number of adults in Scotland who play Rugby League as their primary sport probably numbers about 10 in the entire country.

So yes - Heritage players gets a thumbs up from me too. As far as I can see, Serbia, Jamaica, Germany and Spain all have better developed Rugby League programmes than Scotland.

Is there a place for them in international RL? Sure... in the same way that Morocco can have the occasional hit out using 17 Frenchmen, and Jamaica can add some colour to tournaments using 17 fairly handy blokes from West Yorkshire (and London). But in the qualification process for the 4 Nations? Absolutely not. France Wales and Ireland have all to some extent invested in infrastructure for Rugby League and should be supported in their attempts to grow. Scotland RL does not even have a development officer, and plays "home" games at places like Workington, and this year at a greyhound track in Hull.

there is more than enough in there that is true without making stuff up to try and make it sound worse.

Scotland are not playing home games. In the time I have been following them i have watched them play in Glasgow, Edinburgh and Galashiels. That is where they play home games. The RFL are hosting this tournament.

A few months ago there was a job ad for a 2 year contract as player de elopment manager or similar too. Not sure if they have filled the position yet.

Hi Dave - it is kind of true though unfortunately. They planned to play at Scotstoun, and surely that would have been a home game? (I know England is hosting the tournament but effectively Scotland was expected to play at home, but ended up playing in Hell due to the fixture being changed).

I am also very glad to hear they are finally thinking of employing someone. Hopefully club development will be in his remit.

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

Hi Dave - it is kind of true though unfortunately. They planned to play at Scotstoun, and surely that would have been a home game? (I know England is hosting the tournament but effectively Scotland was expected to play at home, but ended up playing in Hell due to the fixture being changed).

I am also very glad to hear they are finally thinking of employing someone. Hopefully club development will be in his remit.

aye but its harsh to criticise Scotland RL for the RFL's inability to stage a game in Scotland.

I agree with pretty much all the rest. I am baffled by the lack of activity. Even just focusing on one of the major cities it feels like there should be some output - even if it is schools and colleges.

it doesnt help when RL fans spend months telling everyone how much of a farce it is and itll be rubbish.

After thia crowd i really cant see how it could have been any worse in Scotland. During the rlwc when they got 5k against Ireland at least that was virgin territory for rl, this was bloody Hull!!!!!

Ive watched Scotlanf play in Galashiels v France with 1800 on a cold Friday with literally no coverage or promotion so i cannot believe that 5k at least wouldnt have been achievable nortg of the border

With it being the Scottish national team will largely sell itself with little effort. Pushing to get senior players and coaching staff interviewed beforehand on local and Scottish broadcast media would itself have raised awareness. 1800 in Glasgow would have been of more benefit to Scottish RL and arguably the tournament than having the match in Hull.

This is often trotted out but is there any evidence to back it up? Should we ban amateur teams from playing in the Challenge Cup in case they progress and draw a full time pro club?

Amateur teams in the cup is a little different from playing the Australian rugby league team .Why do you want evidence its just common sense .

Game should have been in Scotland . Craven Park doesnt have a dog or speedway track .

Amateur teams in the cup is a little different from playing the Australian rugby league team .Why do you want evidence its just common sense .

So the Kangaroos Supermen myth is reborn. Why are the Aussies so much stronger and powerful than SL players in your opinion? And yet we don't have a problem with the chance amateurs may play a SL team? Yes I would like some evidence please.

rldfsignature.jpg

Archived